Don't count out the Pats!

BoltsOwnU on 01-11-2007 at 07:34 PM said:
Ok, so why not man up and try to justify the ridicule??? I'd say more than slight edge on coaching. As for QB, Rivers was better than Brady in the regular season, Brady has the experience. Do we totally ignore Rivers' season-long performance to satisfy you, or can you take Brady's nuts out of your mouth long enough to be objective? Slight edge.

As for the rest, please indulge us all with those areas where you feel Thumper is so embarassingly off-base??? If you can, provide a few stats, and I'll respond in kind. However "Patriots History/Mystique" is not a recognized stat other than perhaps on the sheet-set adorning your twin bed, so please try to be sensible. . .:D

I don't care if Rivers had a 150 QB rating during the regular season and had 45 TDs and 2 INTs. There's no freakin' way on God's Green Earth that the Pats only have a "slight edge" at QB. Brady has the best postseason winning percentage in NFL history going for him--not to mention three SB wins and two SB MVPs. Rivers has yet to even take a snap in a postseason game.

I like how you gloss right over Marty's career failures with that quick little sentence. Marty has, let's face it, sucked royally when it counts most.

From pro-football-reference.com...

+--------------+----------+
| Reg. Season | Playoffs |
+----------+--------------+----------+
| Year TM | W L T | W L |
| 1984 cle | 4 4 0 | 0 0 |
| 1985 cle | 8 8 0 | 0 1 |
| 1986 cle | 12 4 0 | 1 1 |
| 1987 cle | 10 5 0 | 1 1 |
| 1988 cle | 10 6 0 | 0 1 |
| 1989 kan | 8 7 1 | 0 0 |
| 1990 kan | 11 5 0 | 0 1 |
| 1991 kan | 10 6 0 | 1 1 |
| 1992 kan | 10 6 0 | 0 1 |
| 1993 kan | 11 5 0 | 2 1 |
| 1994 kan | 9 7 0 | 0 1 |
| 1995 kan | 13 3 0 | 0 1 |
| 1996 kan | 9 7 0 | 0 0 |
| 1997 kan | 13 3 0 | 0 1 |
| 1998 kan | 7 9 0 | 0 0 |
| 2001 was | 8 8 0 | 0 0 |
| 2002 sdg | 8 8 0 | 0 0 |
| 2003 sdg | 4 12 0 | 0 0 |
| 2004 sdg | 12 4 0 | 0 1 |
| 2005 sdg | 9 7 0 | 0 0 |
| 2006 sdg | 14 2 0 | 0 0 |
| TOTALS | 200 126 1 | 5 12 |

He's had two good years in SD. 2004, a nice 12-4 record and a loss to the upstart Jets. And now 2006, a nice 14-2 record and a soon-to-be education at the hands of the Patriots. Before that, he wasted two 13-3 teams in KC by going one-and-done. (Psst.... there's a reason he's been chased out of three cities. And soon it might be four cities, if he performs in the playoffs this year the way he historically does.)

As for the rest of the team comparison... I would give the Pats the edge at DL and DB. Even at WR, I'd consider it, since neither team really blows you away with their receiving corps. TE and RB, yeah, it's hard to argue with LT and Gates, but the Pats do have deeper rosters at both spots. LB, again, edge to SD, but not as large as you people seem to think (Tully Banta-Cain has had a very good year, Vrabel is always underrated, Rosevelt Colvin still isn't up to his pre-injury form but he's no slouch... funny enough, but Tedy Bruschi--while I wouldn't trade him for any MLB in the league--has probably had his worst year, which tips the scales for the Chargers in terms of LB corps).

I won't comment on your as-usual puerile insults, although I must admit at least you're getting creative with the twin-bed sheet-set reference. And when it comes to "nuts in mouths", it's hard for us to compete with the utter undeserved ballwashing that Rivers is getting from you guys. Maybe you should at least see if he can complete a pass in a postseason game before you start playing tonsil-hockey...

BoltsOwnU on 01-11-2007 at 07:59 PM said:
Not at all. Historically, they always play us tough. Unlike the Pats who, in their own house last year, grabbed their ankles and gave it up faster than Paris Hilton on exctasy. . .
ROFL That is classic.

BoltsOwnU on 01-11-2007 at 07:59 PM said:
Not at all. Historically, they always play us tough. Unlike the Pats who, in their own house last year, grabbed their ankles and gave it up faster than Paris Hilton on exctasy. . .

Oh, you mean that game 15 months ago? The one in which the Pats were without their starting Left Tackle, had Chad Brown and Monty Beisel at ILB, had Duane "Turnstile" Starks at cornerback, were missing Kevin Faulk (and hadn't drafted Laurence Maroney yet) and thus had only Corey Dillon at RB (and he still had a decent YPC that day), and had Deion Branch pull down 1 whole pass reception?

Yeah.... this weekend's game ought to go a lot like that one...

Play like that this weekend, and it will go down as the biggest lopsided loss in your franchises history. Its possible, unlike us, games come along where your team just doesn't show up, period. It's pretty sad actually.

San Diego Chargers.

Past five seasons: one playoff appearance. A loss to the Jets.

I think the Pats know a little more about "showing up" than the Chargers do.

Go to your local Borders or Barnes and Noble, and peruse the DVD section for "Super Bowls" and educate yourself...

TE and RB, yeah, it's hard to argue with LT and Gates, but the Pats do have deeper rosters at both spots.
Deeper roster at RB?!? You can't be serious. Our second string RB is better than anyone on the Patriots roster.

A little excerpt from CHFF to give pause to the Chargers monstrous confidence:

But here’s the dirty little secret to Belichick’s success, the secret he’s never shared and nobody seems to pick up on … except for the Cold, Hard Football Facts and, ironically, the Indianapolis Colts.

His secret is not a command of the complexities of the game. He and his coaches certainly have that command. But it's no secret.

His secret is, instead, a command of the most basic, the most brutal and the most instinctive parts of the game.

Belichick’s defenders, especially his defensive backs, are taught to beat the living piss out of opposing players.

Entire article here
http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=1247

JD10367 on 01-11-2007 at 05:05 PM said:
Oh, you mean that game 15 months ago? The one in which the Pats were without their starting Left Tackle, had Chad Brown and Monty Beisel at ILB, had Duane "Turnstile" Starks at cornerback, were missing Kevin Faulk (and hadn't drafted Laurence Maroney yet) and thus had only Corey Dillon at RB (and he still had a decent YPC that day), and had Deion Branch pull down 1 whole pass reception?

Yeah.... this weekend's game ought to go a lot like that one...

San Diego Chargers.

Past five seasons: one playoff appearance. A loss to the Jets.

I think the Pats know a little more about "showing up" than the Chargers do.

Go to your local Borders or Barnes and Noble, and peruse the DVD section for "Super Bowls" and educate yourself...

Playoffs or not, our team is in every game. Make all the excuses you want, but you got owned, just like I can make excuses for missing the playoffs last seaon (toughest schedule, injuries, whatever), but none of that changes the fact that not only does our team have the heart to show up each and every Sunday, unlike the Pats, but frankly, your team just doesn't stack up well against our division.

Shut out by Miami? Even when we were bad, you'd have to go back years to find us shut out by a division foe. And in a year when you made the playoffs?? It's inexcusable. It speaks only to the total lack of character of the players, the coaches, and the organization as a whole. I know that stings, but there is no getting around it. Every fan here should be ashamed.

Now, let me ask you, in 2000 when Brady took you guys all the way, and had his first playoff appearance, if people told you to ignore his success over the season, that it didn't matter, and that he was going to fold like a dandelion, what would you have said?

Let me guess: :4321:

So kiddies who don't like the fact that Rivers outperformed Brady this season, and expect me to give you a HUUUUUGE QB edge solely because Brady's been there. . .

:4321:

:D

patsRmyboys on 01-11-2007 at 05:14 PM said:
Bolo and this frog are getting annoying....

Sorry but here evidently, even moderated faith in one's team (if it ain't the Pats) is equal to "brimming with over confidence".

Frankly I think its gonna be a tough game and could go either way, but since no one here could handle that. I've gone all in and predict a Patriot de-cleating, the likes of which will cause Cape Cod to break off the mainland and slip beneathe the Atlantic. . .:D

BoltsOwnU on 01-11-2007 at 08:18 PM said:
Sorry but here evidently, even moderated faith in one's team (if it ain't the Pats) is equal to "brimming with over confidence".

Frankly I think its gonna be a tough game and could go either way, but since no one here could handle that. I've gone all in and predict a Patriot de-cleating, the likes of which will cause Cape Cod to break off the mainland and slip beneathe the Atlantic. . .:D

You guys certainly deserve a 14-2 season, it must be rough being a sports fan there, having never won anything ever.
It will happen some year, maybe even this year.
So given that this game is in the bag for SD, why don't you tell us how you will run roughshod over the Colts / Ravens? Surely you got those stats all cued up and ready to go. I mean, seeing as how we are looking ahead and all, don't hold back.

BoltsOwnU on 01-12-2007 at 01:59 AM said:
The keywords here are: Last year when the Pats were missing 5 guys on defense and some of the worst players that the Patriots have had during the resent year had to take their place. I´m not even going to mention their names because that would make me :Eason:

Anyway last season meens nothing and I still think the Chargers are going to win though the more I heard and think about this matchup the better I like our chances.

Chargerfans may think they have already won this game but the Patriots are a pretty good team as well and they have done it before when they were the underdogs in a PO game.

patswin on 01-11-2007 at 05:26 PM said:
You guys certainly deserve a 14-2 season, it must be rough being a sports fan there, having never won anything ever.
It will happen some year, maybe even this year.
So given that this game is in the bag for SD, why don't you tell us how you will run roughshod over the Colts / Ravens? Surely you got those stats all cued up and ready to go. I mean, seeing as how we are looking ahead and all, don't hold back.

Nope, one thing a long-time Charger fan knows is that on any given Sunday. . .However, you have inspired me to post the following thanks to your opening barb. . .

Courtesy of Sportspickle. . .

Study:

96-Percent of Boston Sports Fans Have No Idea How Annoying They Are
According to a study set to be released today by the Center for Sports Research, a whopping 96-percent of Boston sports fans have no idea how unbelievably annoying they are to those who are not supporters of the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and Bruins.

“It’s amazing. The vast majority of these people actually think that they behave just as any other fans do, and that people who have a problem with them are simply jealous,” said the study’s director, Dr. Michael Kreager, a Princeton sociologist. “When in fact, almost all Boston fans have become obnoxious M*******s of the highest order.”

Due to an overwhelming inferiority complex stemming from decades of playing second fiddle to New York, the study found that Boston fans are woefully lacking in knowledge of how to respectfully conduct themselves when one of their teams actually wins. But worse, they revel in their boorish behavior and seem to find more enjoyment in flaunting their good fortune in the faces of others than they do in sincerely celebrating and relishing their teams’ achievements.

“The media has only contributed to this problem,” said Dr. Kreager. “By harping on the years and years the Red Sox went without a championship as though it was some sort of national tragedy, Boston fans actually started to believe they were more important than fans from other cities and therefore deserved to win more. When in fact, all they were was fans of a crappy franchise.”

And when the Red Sox finally won last year – on the heels of two Patriots championships that were then followed by another in February – it created a vicious cocktail that made even the most subdued and casual Boston sports fan into an obnoxious, drunken meathead, unbearably annoying to anyone with different rooting interests.

“I wanted to be happy for these people when the Patriots won, and especially when the Red Sox finally got a World Series, but I found it impossible,” said Dan Miller, a Seattle native who now lives outside Boston. “Before I could even congratulate any of my friends or acquaintances they got up in my face, yelling and screaming and saying how my favorite teams suck, or leaving messages on my cell phone gloating about it. So instead of being a mild supporter of Boston teams, now I hate them with every fiber of my being. Same with most of their fans.”

The study also found that some 89 percent of Boston fans believe they are the most knowledgeable fan base in the world, when in reality they are no more savvy than any other.

“We found this to be most evident in relation to the Patriots,” said Dr. Kreager. “Until they made the Super Bowl in 1997, most New Englanders barely paid attention to football, but now – thanks to the Patriots winning three of the past four years – they seem to believe they invented the game or something and that their city is the epitome of all things football. Of course, once the Patriots inevitably start struggling some day, we expect most of their fans to ignore them again.”

The only saving grace for Boston fans – or perhaps more for people who come into regular contact with them – is that the Celtics and Bruins continue to suck. But even in mediocrity, the M*******-ishness finds a way to shine through.

“I personally found it hilarious that the Celtics managed to squeak into the playoffs this year and lots of Boston fans actually thought they had a legitimate shot of going to the Finals,” said Dr. Kreager. “Right, with Paul Pierce, Antoine Walker and Ricky Davis – not to mention Danny Ainge in the front office – you’re really a force to be reckoned with. And, of course, now that the Celtics draft has received high marks, they’re all guaranteeing a few championships by the end of the decade. I usually try to step back and stay completely objective when I’m studying a group of people, but I have to say – these people are freaking morons. Absolutely unbearable.”

Predictably, the ever-belligerent and cantankerous Boston fans do not agree with the study’s findings.

“That is wicked stupid. People are just jealous. What – did some Yankees fan make up that study? Probably, ‘cause the Yankees suck!” said Tommy Reilly, a 27-year old Boston bartender. “Yeah, that’s right. You heard me. The Yankees suck!”

Of course, BoltsOwnU still thinks this is the exception, not the rule, based on most of the folks here. . .:thumb:

BoltsOwnU on 01-12-2007 at 02:34 AM said:
Nope, one thing a long-time Charger fan knows is that on any given Sunday. . .
I must have misses something. I thought you guys had already won the game :confused:

#22Samuel on 01-11-2007 at 05:40 PM said:
I must have misses something. I thought you guys had already won the game :confused:

LOL this from the fans with threads like "Forget about San Diego, we need to get ready for Baltimore/Indy!". . .

Which are of course, funny as sheeeeeit!

BoltsOwnU on 01-11-2007 at 08:42 PM said:
LOL this from the fans with threads like "Forget about San Diego, we need to get ready for Baltimore/Indy!". . .

Hey,
We Haven't had players sized for rings yet:D
We're showing respect to SD in waiting for AFTER sunday's game>)

#1Patsfan_chica on 01-10-2007 at 05:16 PM said:
Seriously, whoever thinks Rivers is better than Brady is pretty stupid. It's only been one year. Try winning a couple of championships.

I'm sure if Rivers didn't have LT, he wouldn't have the same numbers.
I never said that Rivers was better. I even gave you guys a slight edge at QB, but I do think you over rate Brady and under rate Rivers. That's fine with me though.

BoltsOwnU on 01-11-2007 at 08:42 PM said:

This comes from fans who have a frickin' RALLY prior to their game. What are we, in junior high all over again? Absolutely pathetic. It's a DIVISIONAL playoff game, not the week after winning the Superbowl.

But hey, I suppose Charger fans need SOMETHING to celebrate before losing this weekend.

Thumper on 01-12-2007 at 12:45 AM said:
I never said that Rivers was better. I even gave you guys a slight edge at QB, but I do think you over rate Brady and under rate Rivers. That's fine with me though.

That's absolutely hysterical.

Brady, overrated? Check this simple stat.

In 12 playoff games, Brady has thrown:

19 TDs
5 INTs.

Yeah, he's supremely overrated.

Thumper on 01-12-2007 at 12:45 AM said:
You even give us a slight edge at QB? A slight edge?

Brady, a three-time SB champion and a QB who is routinely compared to Joe Montana by the national media, has a "slight edge" over a virtual rookie who did not play that well over the second half of the season?

Listen, if you want to say that LT is MUCH better than the Pats runners, I'll agree with you but note that the Pats runners are probably underrated. There may be other areas where I'd agree that the Chargers have an edge, be it slight or large, and that the Pats only have a slight edge.

But there are two areas where the Pats have a DECIDED, CRUSHING edge, and that's QB and head coach.

For you to use the words "slight edge" means that you are someone who should have no credibility around here.

Chargers and any other opposing fans are welcomed. Yahoos, not so much. At least in my opinion.

BoltsOwnU on 01-11-2007 at 08:34 PM said:
Nope, one thing a long-time Charger fan knows is that on any given Sunday. . .However, you have inspired me to post the following thanks to your opening barb. . .

Courtesy of Sportspickle. . .

Study:

96-Percent of Boston Sports Fans Have No Idea How Annoying They Are

Of course, BoltsOwnU still thinks this is the exception, not the rule, based on most of the folks here. . .:thumb:

Seriously, Kreagor is an idiot. He talks about this stuff as if he's done a comprehensive study comparing fan reactions to winning in various cities over a period of time. He hasn't, at least as far as I can see, and this is just a bunch of anecdotal nonsense based on his particular experience. I'm not saying that some Boston fans aren't annoying morons, they are, but this guy brings nothing but his own opinions to the table on this. Why you would post this here, even with your caveat at the end, is beyond me. But your GF has nice jugs, so you got that going for you.

PatsFan09 on 01-12-2007 at 07:04 AM said:
That's absolutely hysterical.

Brady, overrated? Check this simple stat.

In 12 playoff games, Brady has thrown:

19 TDs
5 INTs.

Yeah, he's supremely overrated.

Who's your Daddy?
We are your Yankees!

Go Chargers!

2-0 under Marty VS NE

Back