Draft Pick Choices

PatsFanLisa

No filter
Reaction score
I know everyone is talking about McFadden as our first round pick, but does anyone else think that someone like DE Chris Long is a better and more needed choice for us?

I don't know, just thinkin....

I think Chris Long is unneeded by us. He'd be a 3-4 DE and we have no need to bench Seymour or Warren.

He's too big and not quite good enough in space to transition to OLB. Plus, there are better fits, Vernon Gholston for instance, if they want to do a DE-to-OLB conversion. I think Long eventually ends up as a 4-3 LDE in the pros.

What about James Laurinaitis??..we defo need a LB for next season,and he would be a perfect fit..although,i cant see them not picking Mcfadden

P4E* on 12-15-2007 at 08:25 AM said:
What about James Laurinaitis??..we defo need a LB for next season,and he would be a perfect fit..although,i cant see them not picking Mcfadden

A) We have a Draft Forum where all this already being discussed :)

B) Laurenitis would be a reach as a top 5 pick. If SF unexpectantly wins a couple more games and the pick ends up being in the 8-10 range, then he would be a possibility

C) Someone will trade up to get McFadden...im predicting the Cowboys.

D) NE must almost certainly be looking to trade out of their spot, which if the season ended today would be the #2 pick.

If Dallas wants McFadden, there's a thread on another Pats board about this. I think both Dallas 1st round picks and Barber would be a start.

CleatMarks on 12-15-2007 at 08:59 AM said:
If Dallas wants McFadden, there's a thread on another Pats board about this. I think both Dallas 1st round picks and Barber would be a start.

The Dolphins dont need another RB. They need draft picks. Seriously, the Dolphins need to do something with this pick to restore some of their fan bases confidence in the FO. That means doing something that at least looks smart. They are way far away from being fixed by one player. They need multiple players, so trading this #1 pick for a couple of first rounders and a couple of day two picks would at least make it look like they were trying.

Jerry Jones has an enormous boner for Darren McFadden. He has as much as admitted this in public. The Dolphins would be criminally negligent if they didnt parlay that and the "conventional wisdom" that the Pats (or whoever ends up drafting #2) will take McFadden if he is there into a trade down.

And of course this is the Dolphins, so none of this will happen, so if the Pats end up at #2, then they can use the same rationale to extract a hefty price from the Cowboys themselves :)

So let me get this straight,if we select top 3-4,we go Mcfadden,if we select top 8-10,we then go Laurinaitis,right??..i dont not getting Mcfadden woukld be that much of a big loss,LB is more important in this draft

PatsFanLisa on 12-15-2007 at 08:07 AM said:
I know everyone is talking about McFadden as our first round pick, but does anyone else think that someone like DE Chris Long is a better and more needed choice for us?

I don't know, just thinkin....
Come to the darkside (Draft Forum) Lisa! >) (SC is everybody's Daddy there.)

If it was me, and I couldn't make a trade down with any decent value, I'd be looking at Chris Long or a stud LT (I'm not sure if any of them are a #2 yet, so no names). The nice thing about this is you keep one of the team's strengths deep and strong, and you :4321: Mangini and his struggling D-line.

I'm hoping the Pats do trade back, besides Dallas with two number one picks there's Atlanta with two number two picks - we'll have to see how the McFadden sweepstakes shake out.

Re: Re: Draft Pick Choices

Box_O_Rocks on 12-15-2007 at 08:07 PM said:
Come to the darkside (Draft Forum) Lisa! >) (SC is everybody's Daddy there.)

If it was me, and I couldn't make a trade down with any decent value, I'd be looking at Chris Long or a stud LT (I'm not sure if any of them are a #2 yet, so no names). The nice thing about this is you keep one of the team's strengths deep and strong, and you :4321: Mangini and his struggling D-line.

I'm hoping the Pats do trade back, besides Dallas with two number one picks there's Atlanta with two number two picks - we'll have to see how the McFadden sweepstakes shake out.

Wouldnt paying Chris Long #2 pick money to be depth be exactly the kind of thing the Patriost would not do? I know they have Maroney, but McFadden would get more playing time off the bat, than Long.

Re: Re: Re: Draft Pick Choices

southcarolina* on 12-15-2007 at 09:26 PM said:
Wouldnt paying Chris Long #2 pick money to be depth be exactly the kind of thing the Patriost would not do? I know they have Maroney, but McFadden would get more playing time off the bat, than Long.
P'haps, but there is one first round pick who started as a rookie (Mankins), the rest have platooned with veterans or been formation players (TE). I don't care to pay any rookie #2 money, so McFadden or Long it's a choose your poison financially - I just see Long as the better value.

Hmmm, looks like that #2 pick might have quickly slipped to #5 or 6. Thanks, Bungles!:mad:

BY my calculations the draft order would be (if the season ended today)
Miami, Atlanta, New York Jets, St Louis, New England.

The only team i could see taking McFadden is the Jets. He could still potentially be there at 5. There desnt seem to be any DB worthy of even the #5 pick. Malcolm Jenkins seems to get mentioned as the cream of the crop most often, but his name is all up and down the mock drafts i have looked at.

southcarolina* on 12-16-2007 at 12:15 AM said:
BY my calculations the draft order would be (if the season ended today)
Miami, Atlanta, New York Jets, St Louis, New England.

The only team i could see taking McFadden is the Jets. He could still potentially be there at 5. There desnt seem to be any DB worthy of even the #5 pick. Malcolm Jenkins seems to get mentioned as the cream of the crop most often, but his name is all up and down the mock drafts i have looked at.
Adam Schefter's breakdown during the game projected the Pats pick to #6 if the 49ers played, er, beat the Bungles. I figure the Pats can trade back from #6 easier than they could have from #2, this gives them a shot at a DB in the 10-15 range where they may be able to pick up a CB (or even a Safety though I'm not sold on the need) or a LB (though I'd really be surprised with this one).

Box_O_Rocks on 12-16-2007 at 12:38 AM said:
Adam Schefter's breakdown during the game projected the Pats pick to #6 if the 49ers played, er, beat the Bungles. I figure the Pats can trade back from #6 easier than they could have from #2, this gives them a shot at a DB in the 10-15 range where they may be able to pick up a CB (or even a Safety though I'm not sold on the need) or a LB (though I'd really be surprised with this one).

Ties within the draft order are supposed to be broken according to opponents winning %. Do you know if they count teams that you play twice, twice in figuring the winning %? In other words, does SF's Opp win % count the other 3 NFC West teams once or twice?

Also, drafting at #6, the four "cant miss" type players, Dorsey, C Long, J Long, and McFadden could all be gone by the time its NE's turn. According to the Draft Points chart, Dallas for instance, would have to trade both first rounders and a second to give the Pats equal value for the #6. I cant imagine that Dallas would do that for a shot at one of the second tier first rounders.

A Team in search of one of the three QBs, Chicage for instance would have to give up #10, a 3rd and 5th for the #6. Thats a a hefty price to pay to move up 4 spots.

Back