Dumb TV's

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score
OK, I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a 4K TV for a bit, but one thing I was concerned about was a "smart" TV.

My primary concern was making it "Susan Mode"

Sue is my wife's name, and she's a little technically challenged. If I told her she had to use multiple remotes to get the TV and AV surround system to work, well let's just say I didn't want to have that conversation.

She's a Kenner Close and Play type of girl, when it comes to AV technology.

We have some "smart" TV's that we use as 4K monitors at work, and with all of them you have to find the remote for it, and tell it you want to display the PC.

That was not something I wanted to have to do.

I had planned on shopping for a 4K TV today, at Amazon, since it's Prime day, but none of the "smart" TV's that were on sale were what I wanted.

First of all they were all in the +$1,000 range, even with the discount.

So I had an epiphany. I googled for "dumb TV's" and found this one.

A Sceptre 65 Inch 4K UHD LED TV. Less than $500

I already checked and found the code for the cable box remote, so it should be pretty smooth setting it up and getting it to work in Susan Mode.

Now I just have to start looking at upgrading my Marantz AV unit, since it can't handle 4K.

I've got a 4K Roku so I will be able to play some type of native 4K material.

The TV has a digital audio out, so I can plug the Roku into the TV and run the audio out to the Marantz.

I did some quick browsing at the place I originally bought my Marantz and a replacement unit looks like it starts at $1,300. So I'm guessing I'll be sticking with that digital out option for a bit.

Of course, I bought my Marantz back in '03 or so, so I shouldn't be surprised the price has gone up that much.

OK, I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a 4K TV for a bit, but one thing I was concerned about was a "smart" TV.

Sue is my wife's name, and she's a little technically challenged. If I told her she had to use multiple remotes to get the TV and AV surround system to work, well let's just say I didn't want to have that conversation.

We have some "smart" TV's that we use as 4K monitors at work, and with all of them you have to find the remote for it, and tell it you want to display the PC.

I had planned on shopping for a 4K TV today, at Amazon, since it's Prime day, but none of the "smart" TV's that were on sale were what I wanted.

I already checked and found the code for the cable box remote, so it should be pretty smooth setting it up and getting it to work in Susan Mode.

Now I just have to start looking at upgrading my Marantz AV unit, since it can't handle 4K.

The TV has a digital audio out, so I can plug the Roku into the TV and run the audio out to the Marantz.

I did some quick browsing at the place I originally bought my Marantz and a replacement unit looks like it starts at $1,300. So I'm guessing I'll be sticking with that digital out option for a bit.

Of course, I bought my Marantz back in '03 or so, so I shouldn't be surprised the price has gone up that much.

This is about me, not you, Not sure, of course, but sounds sorta like a happy ending for your wife.

But I wish we had a Greek forum with a translate mode. ROFL

Cheers, (toast)

I am pretty well versed in AV.

I don't use any remotes to power things on or change inputs.

I bought a Logitech harmony hub. By itself, you can control all your devices with your phone. But add a Google nest hub or an Alexa and it can be integrated into that. So I can just say, "Alexa, turn on the TV," and my streaming device, my AVR, and my TV all turn on.

I can say, "Alexa turn on firetv," and my AVR switches inputs to the fire cube.

Alexa turn up the volume.... Etc....

Ideally when you get a new AVR, you connect your roku and any other devices to the AVR with hdmi. You then run hdmi from the avr's output to the TV. Optical output is so 20 years ago.

There's a ton more I could share, but it's such a broad topic.

I've had personal home theater systems since the mid 90s.

I got my mom a tv that has a youtube, Netflix button right on the remote so all she has to do is hit that and it goes to those She has turned into a YouTube junkie now lol

FYI BJs will have some really good deals on Samsung tvs in November

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I have a Samsung 4K. FiOS service. Have an Onkyo receiver running through a Bose system. The FiOS remote (original) had the ability to control everything. It was tits.

Then my bulldog ate the remote.

The replacement doesn’t have the same setup. So I’m a 2 remoter now.

My wife sounds similar to yours. After a couple times through they pick up on the process. It’s not convenient, but they eventually get it.

I am pretty well versed in AV.

I don't use any remotes to power things on or change inputs.

I bought a Logitech harmony hub. By itself, you can control all your devices with your phone. But add a Google nest hub or an Alexa and it can be integrated into that. So I can just say, "Alexa, turn on the TV," and my streaming device, my AVR, and my TV all turn on.

I can say, "Alexa turn on firetv," and my AVR switches inputs to the fire cube.

Alexa turn up the volume.... Etc....

Ideally when you get a new AVR, you connect your roku and any other devices to the AVR with hdmi. You then run hdmi from the avr's output to the TV. Optical output is so 20 years ago.

There's a ton more I could share, but it's such a broad topic.

I've had personal home theater systems since the mid 90s.

Well there are two problems with your setup.

First due to my wife's Parkinson's her voice volume is very low. They tested her and she's down 26 dB from "normal" That's 5% of what she used to be.

She has problems using Siri on her iPhone which is right in front of her.

Second, one of the reasons I don't want a smart TV is I don't want it keeping track of everything I do and send the data to someone, same thing with Alexa. I don't want her listening to everything I say.

When my company had most people work from home due to COVID, that was one of the things they told us to do. Do not have Alexa, Siri, etc. operating in the room you're doing work. They thought it was necessary to protect the company IP.

Yeah, I know privacy is dead, and I'm fighting a rear guard action, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Maybe I should get the Clapper :coffee:

Edit: BTW, my Marrantz AV receiver is the control hub for my home theater. Everything is connected to it and it send the video to the TV and plays the surround sound to the speakers.

Well there are two problems with your setup.

Second, one of the reasons I don't want a smart TV is I don't want it keeping track of everything I do and send the data to someone, same thing with Alexa. I don't want her listening to everything I say.

Edit: BTW, my Marrantz AV receiver is the control hub for my home theater. Everything is connected to it and it send the video to the TV and plays the surround sound to the speakers.
You don't need to use Alexa/Google Home/Whatever to use the Hub, there is an app that makes your phone work as a remote...or just get one of the Logitech Harmony remotes (or another brand, I've just used the Logitech). Basically you tell the web application which devices you have, and then program the activity settings. IE When you press "Watch TV" The TV turns on, the Marrantz turns on, the correct inputs/outputs are selected, the channel buttons change the TV channel (or cable box, or whatever), and the volume buttons adjust the volume on the Marrantz.

This is an old video of a device I used to have, but it at least shows the idea of how it works...I don't have a current Harmony, but I'm sure the idea is the same.

View: https://youtu.be/iW4C74vHvc4?t=79

ooo need to revisit this, looking for a new 65" tv.

II bought an OLED beginning with UTs recommendation and it is the best TV I've ever owned. Stunning picture. It was around $1400 I think.
I never connected the wi-fi for the smart functions but I do use a ROkU for streaming and it's just awesome.

You don't need to use Alexa/Google Home/Whatever to use the Hub, there is an app that makes your phone work as a remote...or just get one of the Logitech Harmony remotes (or another brand, I've just used the Logitech). Basically you tell the web application which devices you have, and then program the activity settings. IE When you press "Watch TV" The TV turns on, the Marrantz turns on, the correct inputs/outputs are selected, the channel buttons change the TV channel (or cable box, or whatever), and the volume buttons adjust the volume on the Marrantz.

This is an old video of a device I used to have, but it at least shows the idea of how it works...I don't have a current Harmony, but I'm sure the idea is the same.

View: https://youtu.be/iW4C74vHvc4?t=79

Thanks for the feedback.

From what I can tell, I'll be able to program my Xfinity X-1 remote to control the new TV, so there won't be any changes for how everything works now.

One of the other issues my wife has is her close range vision. Right now she has a hard time reading the labels on the button of our current remote, but she's learned where the on/off, volume and guide are so she can use it without too much difficulty. I'd prefer not to change things with her if I don't have to.

If I do have issues with my existing remote, I now have a plan B. Thanks.

I' m with you , o.p.t. hate the tracking. etc. need a great quality 65" tv.
This is the best Sony OLED
View: https://smile.amazon.com/Sony-A8H-65-Inch-Compatibility/dp/B084KQLVKH/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=sony+a8h&qid=1602695985&sr=8-3
. Great deal, but today is the last day to grab this deal.

LG E9 is their best, but it's a 2019 model and kind of hard to find now. LG GX is the 2020 version that replaced it. The price difference is not worth it.
View: https://smile.amazon.com/LG-OLED65GXPUA-Alexa-Built-Ultra/dp/B0817K8TJJ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=lg+gx+65+oled&qid=1602696283&sr=8-3

The price difference is not worth going with the LG in my opinion.

thank you! i always wonder just what the price diff gets you. i currently have an aquos, circa 2009-2010. pretty decent lifespan but i can now see a seam doen the middle of the pic, and some shadowing.

See, I think you could get an LG CX, get 99% of the performance of the E9, and beat the price on the Sony.

But its really preference. But OLED is definitely the way to go.

This is the best Sony OLED
View: https://smile.amazon.com/Sony-A8H-65-Inch-Compatibility/dp/B084KQLVKH/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=sony+a8h&qid=1602695985&sr=8-3
. Great deal, but today is the last day to grab this deal.

LG E9 is their best, but it's a 2019 model and kind of hard to find now. LG GX is the 2020 version that replaced it. The price difference is not worth it.
View: https://smile.amazon.com/LG-OLED65GXPUA-Alexa-Built-Ultra/dp/B0817K8TJJ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=lg+gx+65+oled&qid=1602696283&sr=8-3

The price difference is not worth going with the LG in my opinion.

I have the E9 I think. And it's just incredible.

And yeah, UT not a huge Sony fan for costs and all the restriction problems I've have had over the years with their proprietary software and stuff like for the mini-disc. And the prices. Wow.

I had a LG, but it had dirty screen effect/banding issues with the panel and they could not fix it. It was beyond annoying. They eventually gave me my money back, but it was a solid 8 months of them sending a guy out to try to repair and it got worse every time. They replaced the panel four times total and made it worse every time. It was obvious they were trying to use refurbished panels on the brand new TV I bought. Left a bad taste in my mouth, so I go with Sony now.

I talked to my buddy that owns his own AV company and he said the problems I had with LG are not as uncommon as you'd think. He actually went a couple of years where he would not install LG products for people. Yes, the picture is incredible on their OLEDs. However, if you have a problem they struggle to find the proper parts to fix it, but they make you go through at least 4 repair attempts before they'll refund your money.

That's why this was one of the few times I got Geek Sqaud's extended protection. I read the reviews before buying and needed a just in case. Many don't have issues. Sony has issues too. Its all more cheaply made than it used to be.

But so far my LG is great.

That's why this was one of the few times I got Geek Sqaud's extended protection. I read the reviews before buying and needed a just in case. Many don't have issues. Sony has issues too. Its all more cheaply made than it used to be.

But so far my LG is great.
Luckily I didn't need the extended protection because I started noticing the banding issue about 3 months into owning my LG, but those issues mean I always buy it now.

The TV got delivered today, which is 6 days before than the earliest delivery Amazon showed for the tracking info.

However, I can't set it up yet, since it doesn't have a pedestal mount, which my present TV does.

I have my present sitting on the center speaker of my surround sound system and need the pedestal mount adapter I ordered to set it up. The later basically has a wall mount bracket attached to a pedestal mount. That's supposed to be here tomorrow.

In the mean time I'm looking at a pretty big box sitting in my living room.

For some strange reason this keeps running through my head.

I can recall when I got my present 48" HD TV 15 odd years ago I thought it was big compared to the 27" CRT I had at the time.

I'm looking at the 65" box and am thinking the same thing.

I did some measurements, and I think I can fit my 48" TV on my computer desk to use it as my monitor. Not sure if it supports anything over 1920 x 1080. I presently have a 32" monitor that runs at 2560 x 1440, so if it doesn't go beyond 1080, I don't think I'll use it for that.

Back