Dumb TV's

What is your budget?

The hands down best choice for picture for a 65" is the LG OLED.
I've been considering one of those, (although my old Panasonic plasma is still going strong, as the burn in issue appears to have been a non-issue). My only question is how do low resolution DVDs look on those 4K TVs. I've heard some of the new TVs are terrible with DVDs.

I've been considering one of those, (although my old Panasonic plasma is still going strong, as the burn in issue appears to have been a non-issue). My only question is how do low resolution DVDs look on those 4K TVs. I've heard some of the new TVs are terrible with DVDs.
Its wonderful.

I have never owned an LCD TV. My first HD was a 42" 1080i plasma from Hitachi.

But like you, my last TV was about one of the last plasma models from Panny. A 55" VT series. I was blown away by it.

Well, that Hitachi was the bedroom TV, and Panny in the living room. The Hitachi died after 15 years. So I did what any reasonable person would do and bought a new cheap bedroom TV, right?

No, I used it as an excuse. The 55" Panny is now my bedroom TV and still perfect.

My new living room TV is a LG OLED 65"

And as someone who was also familiar and a fan of plasma let me tell you, its better in ALMOST every way. Plasma is STILL the king of motion, but once you watch something in Dolby Vision and 4k (and Dolby Atmos if you have surround), you'll be blown away.

I've watched many older DVDs and they all look great to me. There are some settings you should do out of the box, but it is absolutely beautiful once you dial it in.

Well, that Hitachi was the bedroom TV, and Panny in the living room. The Hitachi died after 15 years. So I did what any reasonable person would do and bought a new cheap bedroom TV, right?

No, I used it as an excuse. The 55" Panny is now my bedroom TV and still perfect.

My new living room TV is a LG OLED 65"
That sounds like something I would do. :)

we are going to get a new tv for christmas... something bigger for the living room... not sure what... wife keeps wanting to order off the internet.... i am a believer in "don't buy a tv til you see a tv with your own eyes" ... in other words will do the crawl thru best buy, walmart, bj's warehouse etc and put eyeballs on a tv before buying it...

Last edited:
I agree Pape, i would like to see/experience electronics in person. i might then buy online. depends on how problems would be resolved by the seller.

I agree Pape, i would like to see/experience electronics in person. i might then buy online. depends on how problems would be resolved by the seller.

I have bought all my tv's online after checking them out the stores for like 20 years almost, I guess and havet to run into any issues. But YMMV.

I have bought all my tv's online after checking them out the stores for like 20 years almost, I guess and havet to run into any issues. But YMMV.
That's acceptable... You know what the picture looks like ... Which is why I do the crawl

That's acceptable... You know what the picture looks like ... Which is why I do the crawl

I will 100 percent throw my support behind UTs choice of an OLED for picture quality. I started looking at them on his suggestion.

It was the holy grail for me.

Last edited:
Yeah, big tvs are about the only thing I still do in a store for electronics. Not to see them, because I usually know what I want before going and stores are an awful place to judge them, but because I don't want to rely on UPS to deliver it, and there are still deals to be had at Best Buy, and the big box stores like Costco.

Yes the picture qualities are not going to be a totally fair judgement as far as how good they are. you can somewhat judge them against each other, but not 100%. I don't know a whole lot about it but incoming signal quality matters, if they are wired in sequence, etc. Maybe if a dvd is played on the same type of dvd player on each one?.and still, you have the actual tweaking you do with the tv settings. they don't do that in the store. that's why i come here and ask people's opinions! 😉

Back