Durham Investigation

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
Oh, I'm sure he just went rogue and made the decision to do that on his own. :rolleyes:

The plea deal is encouraging, though, which means he's probably ratting out somebody higher than him.

Based on the Yates testimony, it appears the Obama administration is looking to make Comey the fall guy.

Yeah, it seems their collective plan is to put it exclusively on Comey.

Problem: disclosed Page/Strok notes already state “White House is running this”.

Their plan could’ve probably worked, if that wasn’t revealed. Nothing prosecutorial will come of that. I just hope it isn’t glossed over, or worse, ignored completely, in Durhams finished report.

Trump is right in one regard. Both Barr and Durham were praised in their honest, hard working strength of character. If the report doesn’t address EVERYTHING that’s already been disclosed they’ll just be looked at as another layer of the onion of the Deep State.

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems their collective plan is to put it exclusively on Comey.

Problem: disclosed Page/Strok notes already state “White House is running this”.

Their plan could’ve probably worked, if that wasn’t revealed. Nothing prosecutorial will come of that. I just hope it isn’t glossed over, or worse, ignored completely, in Durhams finished report.

Trump is right in one regard. Both Barr and Durham were praised in their honest, hard working strength of character. If the report doesn’t address EVERYTHING that’s already been disclosed they’ll just be looked at as another layer of the onion of the Deep State.

Should those evil pricks decide someone has to fall on their sword and if they then choose that f*** Comey, well, I think I'd be OK with that.

XCheers

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
Should those evil pricks decide someone has to fall on their sword and if they then choose that f*** Comey, well, I think I'd be OK with that.

XCheers

Don’t get me wrong, I won’t shed any tears for him. But I hope all info is disclosed and the Pres/VP and everyone else involved is exposed and admonished as strongly as possible if criminal charges are out of reach.

Don’t ask me how. This dwarfs Watergate.

tehmackdaddy

post tenebras lux
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, I won’t shed any tears for him. But I hope all info is disclosed and the Pres/VP and everyone else involved is exposed and admonished as strongly as possible if criminal charges are out of reach.

Don’t ask me how. This dwarfs Watergate.

"Dwarfs" is not a strong enough word.

And is offensive to dwarves (and those that identify as such).

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/du...iminal-case-arising-from-review-attorney-says

Durham probe: Ex-FBI lawyer to plead guilty in first criminal case arising from review, sources say

Clinesmith was referred for potential prosecution by the Justice Department's inspector general's office

Brooke Singman6 hours ago
Ex-FBI lawyer to plead guilty in first criminal case arising from Durham review of Russia probeVideo
Former FBI lawyer Kevin Clinesmith will plead guilty to making a false statement in the first criminal case arising from U.S. Attorney John Durham's review of the investigation into links between Russia and the 2016 Trump campaign, two sources close to the matter tell Fox News.

Clinesmith was referred for potential prosecution by the Justice Department's inspector general's office, which conducted its own review of the Russia investigation.

Specifically, the inspector general accused Clinesmith, though not by name, of altering an email about former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page to say that he was "not a source" for another government agency. Page has said he was a source for the CIA. The DOJ relied on that assertion as it submitted a third and final renewal application in 2017 to eavesdrop on Page under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

BARR TEASES 'DEVELOPMENTS' IN DURHAM PROBE, SAYS INVESTIGATION WON'T BE 'DICTATED' BY ELECTION

Clinesmith is being charged in federal court in Washington and is expected to plead guilty to one count of making a false statement, his attorney Justin Shur told The Associated Press.

"Kevin deeply regrets having altered the email. It was never his intent to mislead the court or his colleagues as he believed the information he relayed was accurate. But Kevin understands what he did was wrong and accepts responsibility," Shur later said in a statement.

President Trump, noting the case at the top of a Friday press conference, called the individual “corrupt” and predicted the charge is “just the beginning.”

“The fact is they spied on my campaign and they got caught. And you’ll be hearing more,” he said.

The Justice Department’s charging document stated that Clinesmith “did willfully and knowingly make and use a false writing and document, knowing the same to contain a materially false, fictitious, and fraudulent statement and entry in a matter before the jurisdiction of the executive branch and judicial branch of the Government of the United States.”

The document said he altered another official's June 2017 email to say Page (referred to as "Individual #1") was "not a source" when the original email did not contain those words.

The filing said another official took Clinesmith’s altered email, relied on it, and signed and submitted the renewed FISA application to the FISA Court.

“The application for FISA #4 did not include Individual #1’s history or status with the OGA [other government agency],” the document read.

Meanwhile, an FBI spokesperson told Fox News Friday that "under Director Wray's leadership, the FBI has been, and will continue to be, fully cooperative with Mr. Durham's review. This includes providing documents and assigning personnel to assist his team."

"While the FBI does not comment on ongoing legal matters, it is important to note the employee in this case no longer works at the FBI resigning before an internal disciplinary process was completed," the FBI spokesperson said.

Durham was appointed by Attorney General Bill Barr last year to investigate the origins of the FBI’s original Russia probe, shortly after former Special Counsel Robert Mueller completed his years-long investigation into whether the campaign colluded with the Russians to influence the 2016 presidential election.

Durham’s timeline was focused on July 2016, when the FBI’s original Russia probe began, through the appointment of Mueller in May 2017.

September surprise? Gregg Jarrett predicts when Durham report will drop, indictmentsVideo
Mueller’s investigation yielded no evidence of criminal conspiracy or coordination between the Trump campaign and Russian officials during the 2016 election, though the question of whether Trump obstructed justice was left open in the final report.

TRUMP LAYS DOWN GAUNTLET FOR BARR IN DURHAM PROBE: EITHER 'GREATEST ATTORNEY GENERAL' OR 'AVERAGE GUY'

The development Friday comes amid much speculation, and even a tip-off by Barr, who said on Fox News’ “Hannity” that there would be a “development” in the investigation, teasing that it wouldn’t be “earth-shattering,” but would be “an indication that things are moving along at the proper pace as dictated by the facts in this investigation.”

“There are two different things going on,” Barr said. “I said the American people need to know what actually happened, we need to get the story of what happened in 2016 and ’17 out. That will be done.”

Barr also said that “if people crossed the line, if people involved in that activity violated criminal law, they will be charged.”

Barr touted Durham as an “independent” and “highly experienced” man, and said his investigation is “pursuing apace,” despite delays he blamed in part on the coronavirus pandemic.

SOURCE SAYS FBI AGENT USED 2016 BRIEFING ON ELECTION INTERFERENCE AS 'COVER' TO QUESTION TRUMP TEAM

Trump has been invested in the outcome of the Durham investigation, saying this week that he hopes Durham is “not going to be politically correct,” and warning that Barr could go down as “the greatest attorney general” or just “an average guy” — depending on what comes out of the months-long probe.

“I hope he’s doing a great job, and I hope they’re not going to be politically correct,” Trump said. “Obama knew everything. Vice President Biden, as dumb as he may be, knew everything, and everybody else knew.”

“And [former FBI Director James] Comey, and [former CIA Director John] Brennan, and [former Director of National Intelligence James] Clapper, they were all terrible, they lied to Congress,” the president added.

Democrats, though, have voiced concern that the probe is being used for political purposes.

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif., said in a recent podcast that Barr “may be using the power of the Justice Department through Durham or others to go after the president's enemies.”

Meanwhile, last month, Fox News reported that a declassified document revealed that the FBI agent who delivered a defensive briefing on election interference to the Trump campaign in August 2016 “actively listened” for certain topics – using it as a “cover” to monitor then-candidate Donald Trump and Michael Flynn, a source familiar with the document said.

The agent delivering the briefing was Joe Pientka. Pientka's notes followed an Aug. 17, 2016 briefing to then-candidate Trump, Michael Flynn and Chris Christie, "in support of ODNI briefings provided to U.S. Presidential candidates and two of their advisors."

The document was dated Aug. 30, 2016, and filed under “Crossfire Hurricane,” the FBI’s code name for its investigation into whether the Trump campaign was colluding with the Russians to influence the 2016 election; “Crossfire Razor,” the FBI’s code name for the investigation into Michael Flynn; "Russia Sensitive Investigative Matter," and FARA, the Foreign Agents Registration Act.

The document stated that Clinesmith and FBI official Peter Strzok "approved" Pientka's notes.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
PLEASE!!!!

Make it go away!!!!!

Anyone wonders why MrNFLfan and obf cannot converse on facts here’s why: who they watch simply does not cover stories that don’t fit the narrative.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/msnbc...guilty-plea-despite-previous-russia-obsession

MSNBC's Rachel Maddow skips Durham probe's guilty plea -- despite previous Russia obsession

The cable news star has seen her ratings drop since the conclusion of the Mueller investigation -- despite millions of potential viewers largely confined to their homes

6 hours ago
First criminal case arises from Durham probeVideo
MSNBC's Rachel Maddow was once the go-to cable news host for the latest developments on what she believed was collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

Now, she seems to be steering clear of the latest developments that undermine the narrative she pushed for years.

On Friday, former FBI lawyer Kevin Clinesmith was expected to plead guilty to making a false statement in the first criminal case arising from U.S. Attorney John Durham's review of the investigation into links between Russia and the 2016 Trump campaign -- the so-called Russia "origins" investigation -- two sources close to the matter told Fox News.

Clinesmith was referred for potential prosecution by the Justice Department's inspector general's office, which conducted its own review of the Russia investigation.

MSNBC, CNN MOSTLY IGNORE TRUMP'S MAJOR ISRAEL-UAE PEACE DEAL DURING PRIME TIME

Specifically, the inspector general accused Clinesmith, though not by name, of altering an email about former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page to say that Page was "not a source" for another government agency. Page has said he was a source for the CIA. The Justice Department relied on that assertion as it submitted a third and final renewal application in 2017 to eavesdrop on Page under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA).

However, despite MSNBC covering the expected guilty plea earlier in the day, Maddow completely avoided the subject during her primetime show.

"The Rachel Maddow Show" has seen its ratings slide since the conclusion of the Mueller investigation -- despite an unprecedented news cycle focused on the coronavirus pandemic, unrest in U.S. cities and the 2020 presidential election.

The Maddow slide also comes as millions of potential TV viewers have been largely confined to their homes because of virus-related shutdowns.

Sen. Graham on Durham probe: It's a good day for the rule of lawVideo
Late last year, Maddow similarly failed to mention the damning abuses of the highly controversial FISA application process uncovered by Justice Department Inspector General Michael E. Horowitz in her exclusive sitdown with ex-FBI lawyer Lisa Page, who earlier this year became an MSNBC contributor.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Maddow isn't the only cable news personality to ignore Clinesmith's guilty plea during primetime. CNN's Anderson Cooper ignored the major news during his two hours on air. His colleague Don Lemon did the same in the 10 p.m. timeslot.

Among the evening broadcast programs, "NBC Nightly News" also skipped the FBI controversy while ABC's "World News Tonight" and the "CBS Evening News" addressed it.

Fox News' Brooke Singman and Bill Mears contributed to this report.

patswin

WTF
Reaction score
Wonder if Clinesmith plea bargained... in exchange for other useful information. I guess we will see sooner or later.

Number Cruncher

Time to go.... NOW
Reaction score
"Kevin deeply regrets having altered the email. It was never his intent to mislead the court or his colleagues as he believed the information he relayed was accurate. But Kevin understands what he did was wrong and accepts responsibility," Shur later said in a statement.

He said this with a straight face... ????

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score
The government should force him to hold a press conference and publicly admonish that statement and admit that it was precisely his intention, if he wants the deal.

It's a lawyer's job to present his/her client in as positive a light as possible.

I wouldn't hold that against the defendant.

The only people who would believe that malarkey are the usual suspects who wouldn't believe Trump if he said the sun would rise in the east tomorrow.

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
It's a lawyer's job to present his/her client in as positive a light as possible.

I wouldn't hold that against the defendant.

The only people who would believe that malarkey are the usual suspects who wouldn't believe Trump if he said the sun would rise in the east tomorrow.

Should still not be allowed to publicly present such a preposterous lie. It was precisely his intent.

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score
Should still not be allowed to publicly present such a preposterous lie. It was precisely his intent.

Lawyers make similar proclamations all the time.

IMHO, it is a bad idea to try and restrict what defense lawyers say publicly about their clients.

One can cite numerous cases where the prosecuting attorney said equally "slippery" things in public.

It's all part of the game.

The jury and/or Judge are the ones who make the final decision.

Restricting public statements not only infringes free speech, but is fraught with potential for abuse.

Who decides what can and cannot be said? That begs for the party in power to abuse it.

Stop and think for a moment, how many totalitarian regimes do this very thing?

They accuse someone of some crime, and prevent a public discussion of the case.

No, such behavior is not acceptable in the USA.

Yes, one can consider it reprehensible, but that is part of the cost for living in a free country.

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
Lawyers make similar proclamations all the time.

IMHO, it is a bad idea to try and restrict what defense lawyers say publicly about their clients.

One can cite numerous cases where the prosecuting attorney said equally "slippery" things in public.

It's all part of the game.

The jury and/or Judge are the ones who make the final decision.

Restricting public statements not only infringes free speech, but is fraught with potential for abuse.

Who decides what can and cannot be said? That begs for the party in power to abuse it.

Stop and think for a moment, how many totalitarian regimes do this very thing?

They accuse someone of some crime, and prevent a public discussion of the case.

No, such behavior is not acceptable in the USA.

Yes, one can consider it reprehensible, but that is part of the cost for living in a free country.

I can see this point.

It just plays into the media shaping the minds of the public. With lies.

They’ll be millions that read or hear that statement “my client had no intention of deceiving” and walk around parroting it as fact when it couldn’t be further from the truth.

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score
I can see this point.

It just plays into the media shaping the minds of the public. With lies.

They’ll be millions that read or hear that statement “my client had no intention of deceiving” and walk around parroting it as fact when it couldn’t be further from the truth.

The MSM doesn’t need any statement by anyone to “shape the minds of the public”.

They are quite capable of doing that simply by what they do and do not report, and how they parse the quotes they cite.

If there was ever any doubt on this the whole “Russian Collusion” meme proved that beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Restricting lawyers comments will have zero impact on that and set a very dangerous precedent.

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
Things are REALLY going to heat up.

Senators are pissed. Previously undisclosed items are coming to light. And Clinesmith is likely disclosing info and ties that have been destroyed.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sen-johnson-stunning-russia-probe-revelations

Sen. Johnson: 'We should have known' about 'stunning' revelations in Russia probe origins 'years ago'

'There’s an awful lot of wrongdoing that has to be exposed,' Johnson says

Talia Kaplan56 mins ago
Sen. Johnson: There’s an awful lot of wrongdoing that Durham has to exposeVideo
Revelations in the investigation into the Russia probe's origins “are stunning,” Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., told “Sunday Morning Futures,” adding that “we should have known” about them “years ago.”

Johnson, who is conducting his own deep dive into Obama-era corruption, made the comments two days after Fox News has learned, according to two sources close to the matter, that former FBI lawyer Kevin Clinesmith will plead guilty to making a false statement in the first criminal case arising from U.S. Attorney John Durham’s review of the investigation into links between Russia and the 2016 Trump campaign.

Johnson, who is the chairman of the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, reacted to Clinesmith’s expected plea on Sunday saying, “this is an obvious indictment, and I can only assume the reason it took so long is probably John Durham was trying to get Kevin Clinesmith to cooperate with his additional prosecutions and investigations.”

“I’m hoping that’s the case because there’s an awful lot of wrongdoing that has to be exposed,” Johnson continued.

He then explained what he thinks is “probably most stunning about the court document.”

Rep. Nunes on ex-FBI lawyer expected to plead guilty for falsifying documents against Trump campaignVideo
RUSSIA 'ORIGINS' PROBE TO YIELD 'SIGNIFICANT DEVELOPMENTS,' BARR SAYS

“Now we know that back in August of 2016, the CIA had already notified the FBI that they knew [former Trump campaign aide] Carter Page was an operational contact for the CIA, so the FBI knew this back in August of 2016, and we only know that now,” Johnson said.

”What we found out in just the last week, you know the pre-meditated lie on the part of the FBI briefers to the Senate Intelligence Committee, now the fact that the FBI knew that Carter Page was an operational contact back in August 2016. These revelations are stunning, and we should have known about this years ago.”

Johnson went on to say that the revelations make him “even more frustrated” with FBI Director Christopher Wray to the point where he was “forced to issue him a subpoena.”

Former WH official on his role in setting up conference where FBI informant met Carter PageVideo
Last week, the Senate Homeland Security Committee subpoenaed the FBI and Wray as part of its broad review into the origins of the Russia investigation.

The FBI must provide these documents to the committee by Aug. 20 at 5 p.m. ET, according to the subpoena.

Johnson told host Maria Bartiromo on Sunday that those documents “better be forthcoming.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“Now we know there was absolute corruption at the highest levels of the FBI, and it’s taken years for this to come out,” Johnson said. “This is completely unacceptable. We need to get to the truth as quickly as possible.”

Fox News’ Brooke Singman contributed to this report.

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
Sounds like a rat gets away.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...target-in-russia-probe-review-aide-claims.amp

Brennan interviewed in Durham probe, told he’s not a ‘target,' aide claims | Fox News

August 21, 2020
“In fact, we know it did, in fact we know it was the impetus and testified before a FISA court for its truthfulness to spy on the Trump campaign,” the press secretary continued. “So too does Samantha Power and Susan Rice and these individuals who admitted under oath that they spoke to foreign leaders and representatives of foreign leaders during their transition, yet somehow during the Trump transition that was uncalled for.”

GOWDY WARNS WRAY CAN BE ON 'CLEANUP CREW' OR 'COVER-UP CREW' IN WAKE OF SENATE INTEL RUSSIA REPORT

According to Shapiro, “Brennan welcomed the opportunity to answer Mr. Durham's questions related to a wide range of intelligence-related activities undertaken by CIA before the November 2016 presidential election as well as the Intelligence Community Assessment (ICA) published in early January 2017. Brennan provided details on the efforts made by the Intelligence Community to understand and disrupt the actions taken by Russia to interfere in the 2016 presidential election.”

While the statement said Brennan “expressed appreciation for the professional manner in which Mr. Durham and his team conducted the interview,” it also lashed out at the Trump administration.

“Brennan also told Mr. Durham that the repeated efforts of Donald Trump and William Barr to politicize Mr. Durham's work have been appalling and have tarnished the independence and integrity of the Department of Justice, making it very difficult for Department of Justice professionals to carry out their responsibilities. It is Brennan's fervent hope that the results of the Durham review will be apolitical and not influenced by personal or partisan agendas,”

Durham brought his first criminal charge last week against a former FBI lawyer accused of altering an email related to the secret surveillance of former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page. The attorney, Kevin Clinesmith, pleaded guilty on Wednesday to a false statement charge.

Fox News’ Mike Emanuel and Morgan Phillips and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

tehmackdaddy

post tenebras lux
Reaction score
Sounds like a rat gets away.

Comey personally assured Trump in January 2017 that he wasn't being investigated, so you never know. :shrug:

We also know that what these people testify to under oath in closed door meetings can often be the exact opposite of what they say to the press.

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
Comey personally assured Trump in January 2017 that he wasn't being investigated, so you never know. :shrug:

We also know that what these people testify to under oath in closed door meetings can often be the exact opposite of what they say to the press.

You mean the Left lies?

Poppycock!

EVERYONE knows all lies are the fruit of Trump.