Edelman - how good is that kid

anderson

Awfully Cavalier
Reaction score
So, I forgot to turn on my DVR today out of forgetfulness or stupidity.

However, when watching the game a few things seem to stick out about Edelman:

a) Comparing him to Welker is pretty legit. The guy can cut fast and has good hands.
b) How hellishly good is this kid at getting YAC after initial contact? I seem to remember at least two big plays for first downs where he's touched and slowed down a lot, but still manages to move around a defender and get the first downs before he's double teamed.

I think it deserved its own thread, because I'm thoroughly impressed, especially with b).

He's a white Wes Welker:coffee:

Is he Wes Welker? No

Is he baby Wes Welker? Yes

A very versatile, talented player that rounds out roster depth and can make a big play that all upper-echelon teams need.

Big fan.

Is he Wes Welker? No

Is he baby Wes Welker? Yes

A very versatile, talented player that rounds out roster depth and can make a big play that all upper-echelon teams need.

Big fan.

Yeah, I don't want to compare the two other than perhaps in style. Welker is on another planet, IMO.

What I like about Julian is that he comes up with yards when you're sitting there thinking "damn, didn't get it".

I think they cloned Welker and it just isn't quite fully developed yet. Has all the moves and the speed, now just has to get the experience.

Welker is a seasoned vet, Edelman is a rookie. I can't wait to see what some experience brings. I'm sure he will see a little wildcat action against the fish. The kid is nails.

I wander if Edelman drives the vets crazy w/the talking :)

He is always always talking and asking questions on the sidelines, to Brady, other teammates and coaches. The guy definitely has the will to learn. I think that's the biggest difference between him and other rookie WR's and part of why he's having early success.

SO my wife's cousin and Edelman's dad are friends. Apparently he is an awesome kid too. Very likable and according to his family he has had to work hard for his athletic abilities from the start. I just love how there is a direct line from Troy Brown through Wes Welker and into Edelman. It makes me miss troy a LOT less.

The Welker comparisons are both good and bad, in my view.

On the one hand, being compared to one of the best players in all of the NFL is extremely flattering. And there's the inescapable fact that Julian's game looks quite similar to Wes' game, only not as, well, dominating and incredible.

On the other hand, it's impossible to live up to Welker inasmuch as he's really a once in a generation type player. If the stndard is Wes, Edelman will never measure up.

These are very good problems to have.

Love this kid, and that third down play rivaled the Maroney pancake run and the Levoir hit for my favorites of the day.

The thing I find interesting about Edelman is how much more physically gifted then Welker he is

Kent State held its Pro Day for NFL scouts yesterday. Here are a few of the highlights:

- Julian Edelman’s short huttle of 3.91 would have been the fastest time at the NFL combine regardless of position. His 60-yard shuttle also wold have been the fastest at the combine (10.74).

- Edelman’s 40-yard dash time was comperable to Josh Cribbs’ when he was timed in Las Vegas after his senior season (4.51).

- Edelman has been working out with former Zips quarterback Charlie Frye at Akron’s indoor practice facility.

I love the first down signal.

Talk about the kid being jazzed up and having fun out there!

As soon as Edelman caught that pass, I said "Not a chance" outloud. He made 3 moves and got the first down. I came out of my seat. That was flat out amazing. it's like having 2 Welkers out there.

Little known fact: The Patriots set an NFL record on the first play of the game. 2 white WR's on the field at the same time.

Well let's just say, he's no Chad Jackson.

On the other hand, it's impossible to live up to Welker inasmuch as he's really a once in a generation type player. If the standard is Wes, Edelman will never measure up.

You can't say it's impossible for Edelman to live up to Welker because Welker is a once in a generation player.

Edelman could easily be as good as Welker if he keeps developing and prove that Welker is not a once in a generation player. (Edelman already has as many TD receptions as Wes had in his first 4 seasons. :poke:)

Don't get me wrong, Wes is fantastic and is currently on a different level. But Edelman is a rookie with massive potential who could, in time, turn out to measure up very well against Wes. Or he might not. Time will tell, but let's not put a ceiling on his potential just yet.

You can't say it's impossible for Edelman to live up to Welker because Welker is a once in a generation player.

Edelman could easily be as good as Welker if he keeps developing and prove that Welker is not a once in a generation player. (Edelman already has as many TD receptions as Wes had in his first 4 seasons. :poke:)

Don't get me wrong, Wes is fantastic and is currently on a different level. But Edelman is a rookie with massive potential who could, in time, turn out to measure up very well against Wes. Or he might not. Time will tell, but let's not put a ceiling on his potential just yet.
Agree to disagree. I don't see Edelman ending up with the kind of rare and ridiculous production Welker gives the Pats at WR. Maybe he will, and I take your point that it's too soon to really know...but I don't see that happening, as I see Welker as so unique that no one could be as good as all that.

Back