End of the season exit poll

Was this season a success for the Patriots?

• yes

Votes: 33 82.5%
  • no

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • hell yes!

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • hell no!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think this season overall was mixed. If you look back at the predictions thread most of us had the team between 9- 11 wins so we all pretty much hit it on the head. It started off poor with the 2-4 start and then the team had the 7 game win streak and the one seed in its hands and then finished 1-3 as a wild card. The playoff game was obviously an embarrassment. Totally dominated by the Bills who are really the blueprint of what a contending team looks like in today's League.

Looking forward to next year what will be difficult is the team spent $165 million this off season and those contracts are back loaded so it's not in a position to have to go out and spend a ton to fill a lot of holes and the team has a lot of holes.

So I'll be interested to see how Kraft feels about the season but more importantly what's going to happen going forward to change this team into a legit contender. Trying to be a defense first team is extremely difficult in today's league with the rules that so heavily favor the passing game. I'm not sure in the history of the NFL if there's ever been an era where the game is more predicated on the play of the QB not only throwing the ball but also being a dual threat type player. The elite offenses are extremely difficult to defend consistently and that is what is required for the Patriots to do if they keep with their current philosophy.

I also assume there's going to be quite a shake up with the coaches. And there really needs to be.

Last edited:
This season was an outstanding success IMO, to make the playoffs was a huge achievement, this team was written off early in the season, and in spite of all that, still made the playoffs. I thought the Pats would make a push for the playoffs and fall a game or two short.

The Pats need to consolidate on this season and give Mac Jones a bit more talent at offensive skill positions.

I'm optimistic for the future of the team

We said this last season that a rebuild was going to take a number of years. It was a major transition and we needed to find a new young QB and then we were looking at some older players who were going to be retiring. Hightower, McCourty and other guys are on the wrong side of 30. We're the 10th oldest team in the NFL.

As Patriot fans we are spoiled and I and others said it umpteen times, that I can die happy with 6 SBs and having seem the GOAT Coach and QB playing for 20 years.

It's enjoyable now to see this new start and to get to the playoffs and to have our QB in situ was huge. I look forward now to seeing Perkins and McGrone in action next season and who we pick up in FA and the draft.

I voted it as a success but it's a little discouraging how it all ended. Not just last night but the last few games. There's definitely work to be done this off-season.
Belichick just said as much at his presser. Not just last night but all 18 games.

I voted no because their season record was inflated due to other team's absences.
Because they lost 3 put of the last 4 games. Got beat by Miami twice. Got embarrassed in the playoff game.
What was that playoff game, players not interested, tuned out the coaching? Losing at season's end is not a hopeful sign for the future. This feels like 1999 to me.

I voted no because their season record was inflated due to other team's absences.
Because they lost 3 put of the last 4 games. Got beat by Miami twice. Got embarrassed in the playoff game.
What was that playoff game, players not interested, tuned out the coaching? Losing at season's end is not a hopeful sign for the future. This feels like 1999 to me.
K. I disagree. I think the defense just had nothing left in the tank, rather than tuning out coaching.

Plenty to fix, but I think a lot of it can be fixed.

The season was definitely a success. We got our QB of the future. Mac was consistent all year despite the growing pains. He never stopped fighting out there and even in defeat went up to every single player to dab them up. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it shows to me that he is the leader this team will follow. This loss will hurt, which is a good thing considering how determined he seems. Many other teams have to endure years of misery to find their guy and Pats found theirs 12 months after the fact.

The defense needs an overhaul -- most notably in the secondary department. Gotta sign Jon Jones and JC, and hope Wade and other CBs pan out, so something like this never happens again.

Not many predicted Pats to make any noise, and that 7 game winning streak began to change the tone on a lot of people. This team was never as good as their best nor as bad at their worst. Playoffs one year removed from cap hell and needing a QB is a pretty damn good place to be. Sure, the loss will sting for a while, but in general a lot of the pieces are in place to be contenders in the coming years. I trust BB will re-tool whatever position needs to be addressed like he always has.

It's all about Mac Jones for me. You simply don't consistently compete in this League without a franchise QB and what I saw last night was a kid that didn't quit, fought and led his team in one of worst situations possible. We can build on that, this team lacks talent, not heart.

K. I disagree. I think the defense just had nothing left in the tank, rather than tuning out coaching.

Plenty to fix, but I think a lot of it can be fixed.

I think so too but it may take some time to fix everything with new players.

If BB didn't know it before the bye he knows now that this team needs an injection of starter level talent at 6 key spots on defense and 3 on offense as I see it.

Defense: 2 on the DL, 2 at LB, 2 CBs and 1 FS. Younger, stronger and a lot faster. Old and slow aren't words I want used to describe this team for a while.
Offense: 1 LT, 1 WR1 are necessary and 1 slot WR would be nice. An experienced coach with a history of developing WRs would be a godsend and wouldn't count against the cap. Do it!

Wynn is too inconsistent. BB won't pay him. Agholor needs to be upgraded badly but his contract says he's here next year, so...a draftee. Slot plans need to be finalized. Jonnu Smith is a big disappointment but his contract insures he'll be here next year just like Agholor's. Figuring out how to best use him is on the coaches. He played his way to being an afterthought this year. I expected more from both players but especially from Jonnu.

Using FA and the draft this might be done by opening day this year. Cap space will limit FAs.
Using the draft, with luck, we're talking at least 2 years.
This assessment is not taking into account signing our own FAs BB wants back, ie. JC Jackson and a few more.

It's all about Mac Jones for me. You simply don't consistently compete in this League without a franchise QB and what I saw last night was a kid that didn't quit, fought and led his team in one of worst situations possible. We can build on that, this team lacks talent, not heart.
Well said. The kid from the sunbelt who played college ball in the deep south came into a hostile stadium in frigid temperatures and never gave up and kept fighting till the end. Other QBs may well have given up.

I think so too but it may take some time to fix everything with new players.

If BB didn't know it before the bye he knows now that this team needs an injection of starter level talent at 6 key spots on defense and 3 on offense as I see it.

Defense: 2 on the DL, 2 at LB, 2 CBs and 1 FS. Younger, stronger and a lot faster. Old and slow aren't words I want used to describe this team for a while.
Offense: 1 LT, 1 WR1 are necessary and 1 slot WR would be nice. An experienced coach with a history of developing WRs would be a godsend and wouldn't count against the cap. Do it!

Wynn is too inconsistent. BB won't pay him. Agholor needs to be upgraded badly but his contract says he's here next year, so...a draftee. Slot plans need to be finalized. Jonnu Smith is a big disappointment but his contract insures he'll be here next year just like Agholor's. Figuring out how to best use him is on the coaches. He played his way to being an afterthought this year. I expected more from both players but especially from Jonnu.

Using FA and the draft this might be done by opening day this year. Cap space will limit FAs.
Using the draft, with luck, we're talking at least 2 years.
This assessment is not taking into account signing our own FAs BB wants back, ie. JC Jackson and a few more.
With you except for wr1. I dont think they'll go after one, and I think they may have one emerging already.

Back