Enjoy Retirement, DMac!

Fq4r7lAX0AAtDFY

One of the things that always binds me heavily to the Patriots is the quality of the people they get in. I'm sure many feel the same.

Guys like D-Mac, Slates, Big Vince, Jules, Teddy, High, Mayo, Matt Light, Tom, Rodney, Moss, Cardona and so many more right up to Bill and RKK.

More than just a "team".

Always loved Devin! Very good player, class guy, a real leader. He decided it was time. Good ☘️ with the new phase of your life, Dev!

2. $9.7M

3. All teams try to avoid dead cap money but there's no way to avoid it all the time. Every team recognizes dead cap as a sunk cost. Things happen...retirement, injury, legal, death. If a player signs a 3 yr contract and retires after year 1 the team is hit with 2 years of dead cap unless the contract is structured to avoid dead cap. BB frequently uses incentives and yearly roster bonuses to protect against dead cap. That's the best way I've seen to avoid dead cap.
Voidable contract years are basically fake contract seasons that are used for salary cap manipulation. The purpose of the void year is to allow a team to pay a player a big signing bonus and prorate that bonus for more years than actually exists on the contract. Voidable years actually guarantees more dead cap money on the books in a future year. Voidable years is done when a team feels a player is too valuable to let go but the team needs to create cap space to be able to afford the player.

Thanks

So it’s tough then. An older player, upon retirement there’s a dead cap hit. We just took the pain a couple years ago when Brady and Gronk retired. Now with McCourty and Slater.

This might sound ruthless but might be another reason to jettison guys over age32, just keep replenishing with younger players and actively avoid the older guys unless they’re true leader-foundational guys (like Slater and McCourty were).

Thanks

So it’s tough then. An older player, upon retirement there’s a dead cap hit. We just took the pain a couple years ago when Brady and Gronk retired. Now with McCourty and Slater.

This might sound ruthless but might be another reason to jettison guys over age32, just keep replenishing with younger players and actively avoid the older guys unless they’re true leader-foundational guys (like Slater and McCourty were).

Slater is back for '23.

It's one of the reasons BB lets players go a year or 2 too soon rather than too late.

Quan Martin from Illinois has the skillset we need, and played for a coach BB trusts and respects. Martin (and running mate Sydney Brown) made it possible for Witherspoon to play as confidently as he did, knowing that his top was well-covered. I think we could get him in...4th or 5th, given the glut of DBs.

The article mentioned him near the end. I think he's underrated, and one of the few college players with significant experience as a post safety.

Last edited:
Back