F1 Silverstone: He walks away, basically

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
I eagerly tuned into the race and they would not show the crash for a long time until they knew the driver was OK. So nobody watching knew really what had happened bar there had a been a crash. When they showed the replay, my jaw dropped.

Yeah, I DVR'd that (ass i do for all F1 races) and when I saw it happen "live" I knew there had been a big shunt.

Remind me of Martin Brundle's shunt in '96 in Australia.

That's the opening scene in the documentary "1" which is an amazing film if you're into motor sports.

It shows the history of F1 and how safety improved over the years, so accident's like Yesterday's with Zhou and Brundle aren't fatal anymore.

Ironic thing is that martin Brundle does the color commentary for Sky 1 sports now.

Been to a few FI's, at the Glen back in the day and several in Montreal.

Really enjoy. My big sad story was my racing pal Patrick and I had plane and race tickets for the 1990 season opener at phoenix . I came down sick as a dog, a flu of some
kind ahd our mutual friend mark went instead. It was quite a race where Alexi fought off Senna for about half the race before Senna claimed 1st and cruised home. Damn.

I went to Montreal 4 or 5 times in the '80's.

I think I remember those races.

:beer:

OK, this thread raises the obvious question.

Who's a F1 fan?

Or to put it more precisely,

Who's a fan of racing where they turn right and use their breaks?

Some breathtaking photos of Zhou's crash. He is still in the vehicle in both photos.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Last edited:
OK, this thread raises the obvious question.

Who's a F1 fan?

Or to put it more precisely,

Who's a fan of racing where they turn right and use their breaks?
Me for sure. First Grand Prix I went to was the British Grand Prix in 1986 in Brands Hatch when I was a young boy, with Mansell winning in front of a huge crowd.

Me for sure. First Grand Prix I went to was the British Grand Prix in 1986 in Brands Hatch when I was a young boy, with Mansell winning in front of a huge crowd.

I always liked Mansell.

I recall early in his career when he was driving for Lotus/Johnny Player Special, with the all black livery.

It was an F1 race in Dallas, and he ran out of fuel just short of the finish line. He got out and tried to push the car across the finish line, in 90+ degree heat and sunshine. Passed out just short of the line.

I also recall when he drove for Williams. Don't recall where it was, but on a high speed straight, his rear tire exploded and he some how kept control of the car and went down the escape road at the end of the straight.

OK, here's a question for the F1 fans.

Lewis Hamilton.

For the first time in his career, he doesn't have the top car on the grid.

His performance has been underwhelming, and his teammate has outperformed him.

So, is he really that good a driver, or just lucky to have had the top car his whole career?

For the record, I never thought he was as good as his record indicated. He's not the type of driver, like Alonzo or Michael Schumacher, who will get more out of the car than what's engineered into it.

Hell, I can recall the '94 Spanish Grad Prix where Schumacher had a transmission problem and only had fifth gear at the end. He finished second.

Schumacher's '5th gear only' astonishing drive in Spain​

WRI2_00003133-004-e1527578819303.jpg

©WRI
On this day in 1994, Michael Schumacher pulled off the stunning feat of racing his Benetton to second place in the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona despite a severe gearbox failure.
In the midst of the first round of pit stops, Schumacher’s car developed a gear-selection problem that progressively worsened and stripped its transmission of all gears but fifth.
Somehow, the German managed to pit and rejoin in the lead without stalling, working miracles thereafter with his crippled gearbox.
During the following 20 laps, a three-way rotation ensued up front between McLaren's Mika Hakkinen, Williams' Damon Hill and Schumacher as pit stop strategies unfolded.
The former eventually retired, leaving Hill to conquer the laurels in front of Schumacher.
At the post-race press conference, the British driver - who was under the impression he had beaten his opponent fair and square - gazed over at Schumacher with incredulity as his rival explained his tormented race.
To this day, the 1994 Spanish Grand Prix is generally regarded as Schumacher's greatest drive.

I can't see Hamilton doing anything like that.

I always liked Mansell.

I recall early in his career when he was driving for Lotus/Johnny Player Special, with the all black livery.

It was an F1 race in Dallas, and he ran out of fuel just short of the finish line. He got out and tried to push the car across the finish line, in 90+ degree heat and sunshine. Passed out just short of the line.

I also recall when he drove for Williams. Don't recall where it was, but on a high speed straight, his rear tire exploded and he some how kept control of the car and went down the escape road at the end of the straight.
Australian Grand Prix in 1986 when he had to win to finally won the world championship and that that tyre exploded. So unlucky.

OK, here's a question for the F1 fans.

Lewis Hamilton.

For the first time in his career, he doesn't have the top car on the grid.

His performance has been underwhelming, and his teammate has outperformed him.

So, is he really that good a driver, or just lucky to have had the top car his whole career?

For the record, I never thought he was as good as his record indicated. He's not the type of driver, like Alonzo or Michael Schumacher, who will get more out of the car than what's engineered into it.

Hell, I can recall the '94 Spanish Grad Prix where Schumacher had a transmission problem and only had fifth gear at the end. He finished second.

I can't see Hamilton doing anything like that.

I thank Hamilton is very good but Senna for me was the best, he pushed the car beyond its limits.

I thank Hamilton is very good but Senna for me was the best, he pushed the car beyond its limits.

Yeah, I respected Senna's skills, but didn't like his attitude.

I was a fan of Alain Prost, and I recall when they were teammates at McClaren in the '80's. McClaren at that time was as dominant as Mercedes has been in the past 7 odd years.

He and Senna were teammates and knew that one of them were likely to win every race. They had an agreement, that whoever got to turn 1 first, the other would back off and not fight too hard and cause an accident.

Prost backed off a few times early in the season. I don't recall what race it was (Monaco?) where Prost was clearly ahead and didn't shut the door, based on their agreement. Senna didn't back off and took advantage of the opening Prost provided.

Prost was justifiably pissed, and this was one of the factors that lead him to take out Senna at the Japanese Grand Prix when he was leading, to ensure he won the world championship.

For me, a lot of Senna's passes were "arrogant", in the sense that he stuck his nose in there and insisted/hoped, the other driver would back down. More often than not, they did.

Hamilton has the same attitude, IMHO.

I still think Schumacher is the best driver I've ever seen.

Fell in Love with the "Great Scott", Jackie Stewart. Won his first F1 event when I was a senior in HS, with 3 world Titles to come. Then made a wonderful racing commentator with great knowledge and with that fabulous brogue.

Cheers

Pretty much every Tuesday at Kelly Square in Worcester heading for Coney Island..

Yeah, I respected Senna's skills, but didn't like his attitude.

I was a fan of Alain Prost, and I recall when they were teammates at McClaren in the '80's. McClaren at that time was as dominant as Mercedes has been in the past 7 odd years.

He and Senna were teammates and knew that one of them were likely to win every race. They had an agreement, that whoever got to turn 1 first, the other would back off and not fight too hard and cause an accident.

Prost backed off a few times early in the season. I don't recall what race it was (Monaco?) where Prost was clearly ahead and didn't shut the door, based on their agreement. Senna didn't back off and took advantage of the opening Prost provided.

Prost was justifiably pissed, and this was one of the factors that lead him to take out Senna at the Japanese Grand Prix when he was leading, to ensure he won the world championship.

For me, a lot of Senna's passes were "arrogant", in the sense that he stuck his nose in there and insisted/hoped, the other driver would back down. More often than not, they did.

Hamilton has the same attitude, IMHO.

I still think Schumacher is the best driver I've ever seen.

The real evidence that Schumacher is the best ever:

View: https://youtu.be/ZCvdTXrXsBc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back