Flores suing the Giants - Dramatic revelations

This actually occurred to me as well - maybe the accidental text wasn't accidental at all, but he wanted to flag it for Flores while maintaining plausible deniability. Unless he knew something about all the Ross shenanigans, it wouldn't be to stick it to a division rival, because it would come back at the Giants, not the phins.

Most likely thing is a mistext. But I think this is the next most plausible.
Do what I do. Accidently text all your contacts. One will be ok.

So one thing I've been wondering is does Flores actually have a case? I've seen a lot of unseemly behavior but I don't know of anything that rises to the level of actionable. A sham interview is bullshit, but is it discrimination? You'd really need to prove that a team didn't really hire you because you were black, as opposed to wanting an offensive coach or targeting a big name college guy or any of the other of the hundreds of reasons a team picks one guy over another.

That said, it costs nothing to threaten to sue someone, it costs very little to actually file. I once saw a quote that filing a suit was the same as a press release with a filing fee.

Now that lead to some speculation on my part. Perhaps this suit isn't entirely about discriminations. Flores was fired, most of us (and I suspect he) didn't feel that was justified. He's been interviewed a lot, but I bet each interview has started with a variation of "So, word is you were let go in Miami because you were difficult to work with, tell us about that".

If he felt the source of his "Difficult" label was not being willing to tank or tamper he might have tried to find a way to get his story out there.

Not always. My boss once emailed everybody at work when he thought he was emailing his wife. She didn't get the message but we sure did.
I once accidentally reply-all'd a minor (3 printed pages) rant about the stupidity of a particular path a work project was getting ready to head down. Luckily, I crafted it well so it came off as both insightful and not a personal attack, as well as funny (though definitely on the nasty side of funny). Since my propensity to rant and have brain farts were both pretty well known, but my subject matter expertise in the area and skills at creative solution design were less well known/demonstrated I give this error a decent amount of credit for the promotion I got a couple of months later. Sometimes life is funny that way.

If he is in fact blackballed from any head coaching opportunities, I hope the Pats bring him back in a role here, and depending on how things transpire over the next 4-6 years, I would be very open to him succeeding BB as head coach. He's a natural leader and a man of integrity and principle.

If he is in fact blackballed from any head coaching opportunities, I hope the Pats bring him back in a role here, and depending on how things transpire over the next 4-6 years, I would be very open to him succeeding BB as head coach. He's a natural leader and a man of integrity and principle.

Completely agree.

So one thing I've been wondering is does Flores actually have a case? I've seen a lot of unseemly behavior but I don't know of anything that rises to the level of actionable. A sham interview is bullshit, but is it discrimination? You'd really need to prove that a team didn't really hire you because you were black, as opposed to wanting an offensive coach or targeting a big name college guy or any of the other of the hundreds of reasons a team picks one guy over another.

That said, it costs nothing to threaten to sue someone, it costs very little to actually file. I once saw a quote that filing a suit was the same as a press release with a filing fee.

Now that lead to some speculation on my part. Perhaps this suit isn't entirely about discriminations. Flores was fired, most of us (and I suspect he) didn't feel that was justified. He's been interviewed a lot, but I bet each interview has started with a variation of "So, word is you were let go in Miami because you were difficult to work with, tell us about that".

If he felt the source of his "Difficult" label was not being willing to tank or tamper he might have tried to find a way to get his story out there.
I don't know the text of the rule, relevant statutes/regs, or caselaw, but even if the facts of the case are perfect Flores has a serious evidentiary problem.

I had a similar thought, that filing a suit is a relatively low dollar cost and this was more a way to not only tell his story, but expose the Dolphins to embarrassment and potentially to concrete consequences in a format that leverages the press, the league offices, and current social-political climate.

He probably has Brian D. and Brian F. right next to each other in his contacts list.
My contacts are arranged alphabetically with last name first. My iPhone also auto inserts names it thinks I'm trying to select. Years ago it would function only alphabetically but these days it chooses more commonly texted people and inserts those first.

Who knows?

Last edited:
Agree, and I'd be inclined to move aggressively to put him in the DC/AHC role ASAP. We may not have 4-6 years of BB, and if we move quickly we may be able to leverage all of this to get some assistant coaches that might follow him. And potentially players - my impression is that the players played their nuts off for him and may follow him - over the next couple of years.

Back