Forums are open and a warning system is in place (please read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the recent feedback. I have opened the forums and have done an initial configuration and test of the warning system and subsequent restriction. The process is automated.

Now, let's start with well....what are the rules? The main rule that has been in place for years but not consistently enforced is

Only civil discourse is permitted here

What is civil discourse? Here is a simple definition:

A civil discourse is a conversation in which there is a mutual airing of views without rancor. It is not a contest, but it is intended to promote greater understanding

So that is the goal we are trying to achieve. Do not say anything about the poster you are engaged in, speak of the topic at hand, and try to stay on topic. Don't lump people into groups. The members here are not "lefties" or "Trumpsters" with group think. We are all individuals with our own opinions. Be open to the opposite position instead of just trying to "win". It is entirely possible to achieve understanding of a position you don't agree with and understand why they feel that way. You may feel different and that is okay. The person on the other side should not be held in contempt or dismissed because they think differently.

Avoid being overly sarcastic and dismissive. Imagine you are at a dinner party with your spouse and business associates. Is something you are about to post something you would say in that setting?

Avoid judgement and phrases like "Your whining" or calling someone a racist or any other label about the poster. Don't be condescending. Is what you are about to post about the topic or is it about the person posting the topic? Avoid the latter.

Avoid inflammatory and name calling language about ......anyone really, not just posters. When you use that kind of immature language, it is used primarily to incite people who feel differently.

Don't abuse the reputation system merely for an opinion you disagree with.

Really, the bottom line here is Don't be a Dick. Engage your fellow posters to promote greater understanding of the issues we all face and why we feel differently about them.

Now....

Warnings. By their very nature they are not a black and white thing. If you receive a warning, it is because it violates the letter or the spirit of what I wrote above. Do not take it personally. Because there is nothing personal about it. If you receive a warning it does not necessarily mean that you are not a valued contributor. Instead, use it as an opportunity to evaluate your posting style and perhaps change it. There is a solid chance I will be forced to give a warning to a poster that I think is a very valued member and are normally a great contributor. It will be hard for me to do. No one wants to take actions that could cause dislike or bitterness, so again, please don't take it personally. I have to try and be even handed.

Along those lines, please try to avoid retribution to someone who posts something that you feel violates the above. It is not productive and only escalates things further. I understand the desire to defend yourself. Trust that they will receive a warning. Not every post needs a response. If you feel a post is out of line, it is better to move on and ignore it, or respond but not in kind. People that troll are looking for a fight. Don't give it to them. I would much rather give a warning about one post than the 20 that follow and are posted between times I am on. That is not a pleasant thing to find.

Warnings accumulate and at certain thresholds, the privilege of using this forum is removed. I am not going to engage in debate with you when that happens. Don't blame me. Look to your own behavior. The more warnings you receive, the longer your privilege will be revoked. They do eventually expire. If you truly think that I am grossly unfair and biased, then perhaps it is time for you to find a new place to post about politics. This is not a political board, and frankly this forum should not take up too much administrative energy. It's existence is to keep the topics out of the Circus. More people DO NOT want to read about political opinions than do on a sports message board.

If your access to this forum is temporarily removed because of warnings received, it will not be looked upon favorably if you try to circumvent it or post political elsewhere on the board. At that point we will start looking at bannings, which are the last thing I want to do. I hate banning people. I want a thriving community. But if you insist on being a jerk then we don't need you. You do more damage than good.

In short, I will leave you with a Zappa quote that sums up my political opinion and general philosophy (insert your rolleyes smilie here)

"Do what you want to, do what you will. Just don't mess up your neighbor's thrill."

Or maybe you prefer the great philosophers, Bill and Ted.

img_4553.png

Inspector_50

Reaction score
Smilies and the use of them is not something I want to spend much time on. But your reputation will not have a huge impact from it.
No offense, but wouldnt putting negative rep on a post fall under dismissive and the fact you said not to abuse that in your opening post. I have literally had negative rep place on saying that you had human eyes. It would seem that the goal is to have people discuss a topic with their opinions. If I put a roll eyes or face palm, isnt that dismissive?

"Avoid being overly sarcastic and dismissive. Imagine you are at a dinner party with your spouse and business associates. Is something you are about to post something you would say in that setting?"

If I am at a dinner party and I am telling someone my heartfelt opinion on a subject that is meaningful to me and they roll their eyes or do a face palm, is that something that would be ok?

Providence Colt

Reaction score
No offense, but wouldnt putting negative rep on a post fall under dismissive and the fact you said not to abuse that in your opening post. I have literally had negative rep place on saying that you had human eyes. It would seem that the goal is to have people discuss a topic with their opinions. If I put a roll eyes or face palm, isnt that dismissive?

"Avoid being overly sarcastic and dismissive. Imagine you are at a dinner party with your spouse and business associates. Is something you are about to post something you would say in that setting?"

If I am at a dinner party and I am telling someone my heartfelt opinion on a subject that is meaningful to me and they roll their eyes or do a face palm, is that something that would be ok?
Exactly. I deleted my post since it appears nothing good is going to come of it, but I’ve had three non-substantive neg reps just this morning that clearly go against the spirit of civil discourse.

HSanders

omitted out of respect to Mrs.Jastremski
Reaction score

Exactly. I deleted my post since it appears nothing good is going to come of it, but I’ve had three non-substantive neg reps just this morning that clearly go against the spirit of civil discourse.
You will both be extremely glad to know that the emojis you hate are gone. 🍻

OP
Undertaker #59*

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't believe this is such an important issue to some and others are clearly using it to antagonize on day one.

Not a great start.

IU_Knightmare

Reaction score
You will both be extremely glad to know that the emojis you hate are gone. 🍻

It would be just fine with me... :coffee:

judgejudy.jpg

jiFfM.jpg

HSanders

omitted out of respect to Mrs.Jastremski
Reaction score
i don't use it to antagonize. i use it to express my opinion of a post's content just as i do with the other emoji's. i figured it wouldn't be there were i not allowed to use it. so it's confusing as to why they were even there if they weren't supposed to be used. so since a few didn't like them and they are now gone, it's all good. i've gotten them from some people who say they hate them and i just laugh. 🤷‍♀️

IU_Knightmare

Reaction score
Seriously, what the hell is the like function there for if not to, as politely yet succinctly and efficiently as possible, let somebody know that you agree or disagree with what they posted.?

OP
Undertaker #59*

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
By default, the like is the only button. We could very easily go back to just that.

I added the others because i thought they could be a fun addition. And negative rep could be used for obvious trolls from other teams. I could even put a system in place where enough neg rep would assclown a troll.

I never thought members would consistently neg rep other members, and I never thought it would be the issue that it is.

So since the purpose to which I added negative rep was irrelevant, I have removed them.

IU_Knightmare

Reaction score
By default, the like is the only button. We could very easily go back to just that.

I added the others because i thought they could be a fun addition. And negative rep could be used for obvious trolls from other teams. I could even put a system in place where enough neg rep would assclown a troll.

I never thought members would consistently neg rep other members, and I never thought it would be the issue that it is.

So since the purpose to which I added negative rep was irrelevant, I have removed them.

In this forum, I certainly see where members would neg rep other members, it's politics and religion, two of the most divisive and incendiary topics known to man. But I do agree that I never thought it would be the issue some have made of it, as I thought all those who would venture into a forum like this had their big boy, big girl or big non-binary pants on. I truly couldn't care less about the "score" aspect, just the brevity of the function versus a typed out reply. Are there no emojis that can denote disagreement without either a positive or negative rep score so as to not offend those who worry about "rep scores" while still providing a means to disagree?

johnlocke

Reaction score
In this forum, I certainly see where members would neg rep other members, it's politics and religion, two of the most divisive and incendiary topics known to man. But I do agree that I never thought it would be the issue some have made of it, as I thought all those who would venture into a forum like this had their big boy, big girl or big non-binary pants on. I truly couldn't care less about the "score" aspect, just the brevity of the function versus a typed out reply. Are there no emojis that can denote disagreement without either a positive or negative rep score so as to not offend those who worry about "rep scores" while still providing a means to disagree?

Agreed.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
I could add back the 'dislike' button and make it so there is no effect to rep to using it.

Would that be agreeable to everyone?
I guess I am just wondering why someone would just not post why they disagree instead of dismissing something. I am sure your goal for this forum is for people to express idea's and opinions, once again a neg rep is just dismissing anything someone says instead of engaging in a dialog on why you disagree. So no I would be against it and I know that means zero because I am in the minority of the sides of this forum.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
i don't use it to antagonize. i use it to express my opinion of a post's content just as i do with the other emoji's. i figured it wouldn't be there were i not allowed to use it. so it's confusing as to why they were even there if they weren't supposed to be used. so since a few didn't like them and they are now gone, it's all good. i've gotten them from some people who say they hate them and i just laugh. 🤷‍♀️
100%

Emoji's are a core tenet of all forums these days. I would point out that they do much to HELP keep things civil as they allow for easy immediate reaction without heated words. To delete them or reduce them seems counterintuitive. 99% of us use them all the time. We use them all the time without complaint; understanding what they are.

Providence Colt

Reaction score
I could add back the 'dislike' button and make it so there is no effect to rep to using it.

Would that be agreeable to everyone?
I’m sure it’ll be still be used as a way to non-substantively disagree with another in order to blow up their notifications without actually discussing the point on substance.

Going around a dinner party with your spouse and telling various associates that you “dislike” what they’re saying with no further substance doesn’t seem like it goes very far in the way of civil discourse.

johnlocke

Reaction score
I guess I am just wondering why someone would just not post why they disagree instead of dismissing something. I am sure your goal for this forum is for people to express idea's and opinions, once again a neg rep is just dismissing anything someone says instead of engaging in a dialog on why you disagree. So no I would be against it and I know that means zero because I am in the minority of the sides of this forum.

Funny coming from the cat that at times has admonished folks not to reply to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.