Forums are open and a warning system is in place (please read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
In this forum, I certainly see where members would neg rep other members, it's politics and religion, two of the most divisive and incendiary topics known to man. But I do agree that I never thought it would be the issue some have made of it, as I thought all those who would venture into a forum like this had their big boy, big girl or big non-binary pants on. I truly couldn't care less about the "score" aspect, just the brevity of the function versus a typed out reply. Are there no emojis that can denote disagreement without either a positive or negative rep score so as to not offend those who worry about "rep scores" while still providing a means to disagree?
Perfect. Almost nobody cares about the rep aspect. Turn off the negative part and puttee emoji's back. Maybe we need a poll?

Inspector_50

Reaction score
Funny coming from the cat that at times has admonished folks not to reply to him.
Yeah if you personally attack me I am going to say that, I thought that is why we were doing this, and you are in fact right now breaking one of the rules. I am not talking to you at all, and you are going after me personally. At least wait until you get to another thread before you start breaking the rules in place.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
I’m sure it’ll be still be used as a way to non-substantively disagree with another in order to blow up their notifications without actually discussing the point on substance.

Going around a dinner party with your spouse and telling various associates that you “dislike” what they’re saying with no further substance doesn’t seem like it goes very far in the way of civil discourse.
Exactly its no different. If someone says I want to kill puppies then yeah that would be a time to say you dislike that remark, but if they say, I think black people should get equal treatment, then disliking that is basically just trying to cause a dust up.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
I’m sure it’ll be still be used as a way to non-substantively disagree with another in order to blow up their notifications without actually discussing the point on substance.

Going around a dinner party with your spouse and telling various associates that you “dislike” what they’re saying with no further substance doesn’t seem like it goes very far in the way of civil discourse.

Funny coming from the cat that at times has admonished folks not to reply to him.
Yes, it will be used to non-substantively agree OR disagree. That is the entire point of the emoji to begin with. It is used on all boards in exactly that fashion without complaint. It allows for people to see immediately whether their written posts have had an impact. It allows for great participation BECAUSE you a user can quickly indicate their reaction and move on the other topics, posts and parts of the forum.

I vote to put them back and disassociate them from negative rep. Almost nobody cares about that aspect anyway.

Providence Colt

Reaction score
Exactly its no different. If someone says I want to kill puppies then yeah that would be a time to say you dislike that remark, but if they say, I think black people should get equal treatment, then disliking that is basically just trying to cause a dust up.
Yep, I got a Rolleyes just this morning for saying:

“Yes. Even more than 75% would be unvaccinated had we kept pace with where we were when Trump was still in office.”

Nothing more than a mathematical truth on my part and clearly nothing more than a troll attempt to try start a dust-up and then jump back with a “Who, me?” when called upon it. (foobahl took issue later with the presumption that the rate wouldn’t improve, something I was happy to respond to as it was a good, substantive reply on his part that even though I don’t agree with, I was more than happy to disagree with politely).

Providence Colt

Reaction score
Yes, it will be used to non-substantively agree OR disagree. That is the entire point of the emoji to begin with. It is used on all boards in exactly that fashion without complaint. It allows for people to see immediately whether their written posts have had an impact. It allows for great participation BECAUSE you a user can quickly indicate their reaction and move on the other topics, posts and parts of the forum.

I vote to put them back and disassociate them from negative rep. Almost nobody cares about that aspect anyway.
Non-substantively agreeing with people would go over fine at a dinner party.

Non-substantively disagreeing with people and providing no other context or other substance indicating your disagreement but instead just saying “Dislike” or rolling your eyes at people would not go over well at a dinner party promoting civil discourse.

I vote we remove all negative reactions from the PF as they’re clearly used by some to try to troll and inflame while not actually bothering to engage in discussion. Since the trolling emojis are used predominantly by right-wingers and since this board is majority right-wing I suspect we’d get some of that “tyranny of the majority” that right-wingers conveniently claim to hate were it actually put to a vote.

johnlocke

Reaction score
Yeah if you personally attack me I am going to say that, I thought that is why we were doing this, and you are in fact right now breaking one of the rules. I am not talking to you at all, and you are going after me personally. At least wait until you get to another thread before you start breaking the rules in place.
OMG!! OMG!! My personal attack.

Seeing ghosts like Sam Doarnold.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
Non-substantively agreeing with people would go over fine at a dinner party.

Non-substantively disagreeing with people and providing no other context or other substance indicating your disagreement but instead just saying “Dislike” or rolling your eyes at people would not go over well at a dinner party promoting civil discourse.
We are not at a dinner party. That would be invite only so you would not have to worry about it.

You are twisting the example ut gave so that YOU can control what is allowable on here. Successfully, I mighty add.

HSanders

omitted out of respect to Mrs.Jastremski
Reaction score
again, emojis can be used to AVOID conflict that words can escalate. it doesn't make sense that one is not allowed to express negative thoughts on a post without comment.

Providence Colt

Reaction score
We are not at a dinner party. That would be invite only so you would not have to worry about it.

You are twisting the example ut gave so that YOU can control what is allowable on here. Successfully, I mighty add.
UT said he envisioned the civil discourse being functionally similar to a dinner party. I’m following along his lines. When the board becomes yours and we have to follow what you state as vision of this board, then I’ll worry about what you think.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
Yep, I got a Rolleyes just this morning for saying:

“Yes. Even more than 75% would be unvaccinated had we kept pace with where we were when Trump was still in office.”

Nothing more than a mathematical truth on my part and clearly nothing more than a troll attempt to try start a dust-up and then jump back with a “Who, me?” when called upon it. (foobahl took issue later with the presumption that the rate wouldn’t improve, something I was happy to respond to as it was a good, substantive reply on his part that even though I don’t agree with, I was more than happy to disagree with politely).
The mathematical truth is one thing. The rest of your post probably got you the roll eyes. The vaccine became available weeks before Trump left office, yet you used the number to denigrate Trump for it anyway. Roll eye seems like an appropriate response to a post that didn't quite deserve a written response.

Providence Colt

Reaction score
Of all the things going on, never did I think reactions would get so much attention.

Unreal.
I never thought that people would use reactions so much rather than actually discussing with others.

Actually, no, that was entirely predictable amongst people that have no interest in actually discussing issues but rather just want to taunt/incite without discussing the issue on substance.

Providence Colt

Reaction score
The mathematical truth is one thing. The rest of your post probably got you the roll eyes. The vaccine became available weeks before Trump left office, yet you used the number to denigrate Trump for it anyway. Roll eye seems like an appropriate response to a post that didn't quite deserve a written response.
That was the entirety of my post. There was no “rest of post.”

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
UT said he envisioned the civil discourse being functionally similar to a dinner party. I’m following along his lines. When the board becomes yours and we have to follow what you state as vision of this board, then I’ll worry about what you think.
We have dinner parties. We have liberal friends at them. We get a long fine and if there were a way for us to discuss politics... and when we hear a friend say something worthy of an emoji... and I could make an emoji appear above their head or they could mine that would be funny as hell! Where do I get that!!!

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
That was the entirety of my post. There was no “rest of post.”

Exactly.

Providence Colt

Reaction score
A
We have dinner parties. We have liberal friends at them. We get a long fine and if there were a way for us to discuss politics... and when we hear a friend say something worthy of an emoji... and I could make an emoji appear above their head or they could mine that would be funny as hell! Where do I get that!!!
If you held emojis above peoples heads discussing politics that said “Dislike” that would go over poorly. If you held emojis over their head that said “Like”, I have to imagine that would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.