Game: Name a Band's Best Song

TipRoast

The years teach much which the days never know.
Reaction score
Here's another thread in the timeless tradition of Planet games for the interminable off-season.

Here's how this goes.

A poster names the best song by a particular band.

You can agree, disagree, name a different song by that band, state that every song by that band sucks, whatever. Also, you don't have to respond to the most recent post, you can chime in on anyone else's suggestion.

Then you name a different band, and a song by that band (doesn't have to be a band - could be a singer, or songwriter, or composer, or the friggin' Mormon Tabernacle Choir).

Naturally, if you name an obscure song by an obscure band, you won't get much feedback.

I'll start us off.

Band: Steely Dan
Best Song: Doctor Wu

Here's another thread in the timeless tradition of Planet games for the interminable off-season.

Here's how this goes.

A poster names the best song by a particular band.

You can agree, disagree, name a different by that band, state that every song by that band sucks, whatever. Also, you don't have to respond to the most recent post, you can chime in on anyone else's suggestion.

Then you name a different band, and a song by that band (doesn't have to be a band - could be a singer, or songwriter, or composer, or the friggin' Mormon Tabernacle Choir).

Naturally, if you name an obscure song by an obscure band, you won't get much feedback.

I'll start us off.

Fasle. Steely Dans best song is My Old School.:harumph:

Aerosmith
Sweet Emotion

I can not disagree with either of you, I may prefer a different song but can't say you are wrong

Clash - I fought the law, that is my favorite

Fasle. Steely Dans best song is My Old School.:harumph:

Aerosmith
Sweet Emotion
Mmhhmm. Fasle, you say? Nay, wench, I'll not be gainsaid in this. My Old School is one hell of a song, but it's far less sublime than my choice. :D

Mmhhmm. Fasle, you say? Nay, wench, I'll not be gainsaid in this. My Old School is one hell of a song, but it's far less sublime than my choice. :D
Don't make me bring Peg into this and really whoop your ass!!!:cuss:

Why not bring Josie, too, and make it into a real party?
Really Jack, you want to do it again?

Sorry Mikie I don't know any Clash and i fear we have now made a Steely Dan circle jerk.:rolleyes:

Sorry, Mikie, I don't know the Clash very well either. Rock The Casbah is the only song by them I recognize by name.

I can not disagree with either of you, I may prefer a different song but can't say you are wrong

Clash - I fought the law, that is my favorite

Nay nay nay....

The Clash = Clampdown

The Who = Won't Get Fooled Again.... :thumb:

Nay nay nay....

The Clash = Clampdown

The Who = Won't Get Fooled Again.... :thumb:

I'm not sure Won't Get Fooled Again is even the best song on Who's Next (I'm partial to Bargain due to Keith Moon's outstanding drumming).

But a worthy choice.

I don't think it's even the best song on the album (which probably would be: Chain Lightning), much less their best of all time (possibly: Home At Last).

I don't think it's even the best song on the album (which probably would be: Chain Lightning), much less their best of all time (possibly: Home At Last).
You and tommysgirl have forced me to reconsider my entire worldview with respect to the Steely Dan oeuvre.

This will involve a substantial investment of wine, time and consideration of rhyme.

I'll get right on it, but I don't expect to reach any conclusions before the end of the decade. :D

Steely Dan Dirty Work

The Clash Should I Stay or Should I Go

Aerosmith I Don't Want to Miss a Thing

The Who Eminence Front

The Beatles While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Agree about any Dennis DeYoung ballad being the best Styx song.

IMO Best classic Styx song is "Come Sail Away."
Best Styx song that no one has heard: "These Are the Times" from the Cyclorama record.

If you are a Styx fan and haven't heard this song - go find it somewhere and check it out.

Next band is Rush.
Best song: 2112 - the entire suite.

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb (Us & Them #2?)

Cheers, BostonTim

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tkJNyQfAprY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back