Gamete Thread - Jete @ Patriots - Sun. Sept. 19 1PM (CBS)

Last edited:
I'll be happy if the Patriots win. They'll be 1-1, with a tough game the next week, vs. the Saints, who are coached well. I think the Patriots have a significant chance of losing, vs. the Jets. The Jets are playing at home, the Patriots are using a rookie qb (as are the Jets), and the Pats played a team a little better than them last week, but should have won, if it weren't for the running back's fumble recovered by the Dolphins. The Patriots need to play a much better game to win this weekend. I hope the Pats play better this weekend. Some people will absolutely flip out if the Pats lose to the Jets, but this is a different Pats team than the Brady years, not as good. Either team could win Sunday, in my estimation. But there will be 15 more games to straighten the team out. I say, just stick with Belichick, and the Pats will have a passable season, win or lose Sunday.

Lets Go Football GIF by New York Jets

How does Zach Wilson look in comparison to Mac Jones? The consensus has held that the best of the five rookie first-round quarterbacks Sunday was the one drafted last. And Mac Jones, without question, gave Patriots fans plenty of reason to feel good in a loss—playing fast, standing in there against the rush and showing a sort of unteachable awareness in the pocket, all of which gives him a chance without the physical tools the other four guys clearly possess. But what you might not have noticed? How Wilson came on for the Jets in the second half of their loss to the Panthers, playing behind a line that was getting its behind handed to it. Early on, when things weren’t going well, Wilson let the game come to him. Later, as he got comfortable, he made more off-schedule plays. And the stat line (14-of-21, 174 yards, 2 TDs in the second half) reflected it. It’ll be fun to see him, coming off that performance, against Bill Belichick’s defense and on the same field as Jones.

6. Durant's time: With Patriots starting right tackle Trent Brown (calf) out against the Jets and top backup Yodny Cajuste (hamstring) questionable after being limited all week in practice, the Patriots appear ready to turn to second-year man Yasir Durant as their starter. The 6-foot-7, 330-pound Durant was acquired from the Chiefs on Aug. 31 for a 2022 seventh-round pick. He has shot up the depth chart quickly because of injuries and 2020 sixth-round pick Justin Herron's struggles. Offensive line coach Carmen Bricillo credited assistant coach Billy Yates for spending extra time with Durant, who started 33 of 34 games at Missouri, to help him get up to speed.

10. Did You Know: The last time the Patriots opened a season 0-2 was in 2001, which is the longest streak in the NFL. The Packers (2006) and Cowboys (2010) -- both of whom lost their openers last week -- are next.

Only 11.6% of teams that start out 0-2 have made the playoffs during the SB era.

How does Zach Wilson look in comparison to Mac Jones? The consensus has held that the best of the five rookie first-round quarterbacks Sunday was the one drafted last. And Mac Jones, without question, gave Patriots fans plenty of reason to feel good in a loss—playing fast, standing in there against the rush and showing a sort of unteachable awareness in the pocket, all of which gives him a chance without the physical tools the other four guys clearly possess. But what you might not have noticed? How Wilson came on for the Jets in the second half of their loss to the Panthers, playing behind a line that was getting its behind handed to it. Early on, when things weren’t going well, Wilson let the game come to him. Later, as he got comfortable, he made more off-schedule plays. And the stat line (14-of-21, 174 yards, 2 TDs in the second half) reflected it. It’ll be fun to see him, coming off that performance, against Bill Belichick’s defense and on the same field as Jones.

Excited to see these two guys go at it. BB has a history of “welcoming” rookie QBs to the NFL and the Jet’s OL is definitely a weak spot so Zach’s gonna need to keep his head on a swivel and not try to do too much. A Jet’s win is a big ask but it wouldn’t shock me to see them pull it out.

All gas, no brake!

Back