Global Warming

TipRoast

Recall all the dreams that you once used to know
Reaction score
A maze of twisting little passages, all different
I dug up this thread because I have some questions that seem best fitting to post here. Before, I ask them; I want to say that I live about 10-15 miles away from a large grouping of wind turbines that are located in Ohio. While I don't know how those living near them may feel, from my perspective they are pretty as they gracefully spin in the wind. The evening skies look festive throughout the year as they are lit up with flashing red lights.

I'm not sure how long they have been there, but my guess is that it has been at least 10 years during which time I have never heard of them not being able to function due to an accumulation of ice which leads me to believe that Texas either had one heck of an ice storm or that there was something wrong with the turbines located there. Of course, a wind turbine that doesn't turn does no good and I would think the same may be true for solar panels that may be covered with a blanket of snow.

So, what I'm trying to understand is this: Was Texas so reliant upon those turbines that they weren't prepared with an alternate source? Or, is there more to all this where the non-functioning turbines were only a part of the problem?
From what I've read, 20% of the energy in Texas is produced from wind power. Almost all of the rest comes from fossil fuels and nuclear.

The failures are being blamed on an unwillingness to spend the money to winterize the entire system. I don't have any links for you, but this analysis isn't difficult to find.

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score
This global warming sure is...cold. :coffee:

Last week, -50, -40, -61, -35...windchill factor yes, but, still effing cold.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
I dug up this thread because I have some questions that seem best fitting to post here. Before, I ask them; I want to say that I live about 10-15 miles away from a large grouping of wind turbines that are located in Ohio. While I don't know how those living near them may feel, from my perspective they are pretty as they gracefully spin in the wind. The evening skies look festive throughout the year as they are lit up with flashing red lights.

I'm not sure how long they have been there, but my guess is that it has been at least 10 years during which time I have never heard of them not being able to function due to an accumulation of ice which leads me to believe that Texas either had one heck of an ice storm or that there was something wrong with the turbines located there. Of course, a wind turbine that doesn't turn does no good and I would think the same may be true for solar panels that may be covered with a blanket of snow.

So, what I'm trying to understand is this: Was Texas so reliant upon those turbines that they weren't prepared with an alternate source? Or, is there more to all this where the non-functioning turbines were only a part of the problem?

From what I've read, 20% of the energy in Texas is produced from wind power. Almost all of the rest comes from fossil fuels and nuclear.

The failures are being blamed on an unwillingness to spend the money to winterize the entire system. I don't have any links for you, but this analysis isn't difficult to find.
And a huge increase in demand due to reliance on rarely used electric heating means.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
Putting this here because "Global warming" is the excuse to mandate what you can eat according to the UBER CONTROL FREAK LIBERAL Bill Gates. Reading this should scare the hell out of you as he is well past hiding the FACT that this is all about control.

Last edited:

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
Putting this here because "Global warming" is the excuse to mandate what you can eat according to the UBER CONTROL FREAK LIBERAL Bill Gates. Reading this should scare the hell out of you as he is well past hiding the FACT that this is all about control.

Nuh Uh. I like my steak with a side of cow farts.

Cheers

HSanders

omitted out of respect to Mrs.Jastremski
Reaction score

good god.🤦‍♀️

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score

He's a partner in Impossible fugazi meat. True story.

shecolt

Reaction score

Thank you for your response. I guess it makes sense that they didn't think that they needed to winterize because this was a freak storm for Texas. Sounds like they found out the hard way that it is always better to be prepared for anything that may happen.

As I said, I can't recall any such problems with wind turbines here. So, am I correct in assuming that there is a way to winterize wind turbines so that they don't stop working when there is a lot of ice?

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
I wonder if Biden will travel down there to Tx. to survey the situation, maybe pass out some paper towels you know. :coffee:
pretty far from the basement... if they can keep his meds steady, they may take him for a walk down there. A brief photo op.

TipRoast

Recall all the dreams that you once used to know
Reaction score
A maze of twisting little passages, all different
Thank you for your response. I guess it makes sense that they didn't think that they needed to winterize because this was a freak storm for Texas. Sounds like they found out the hard way that it is always better to be prepared for anything that may happen.

As I said, I can't recall any such problems with wind turbines here. So, am I correct in assuming that there is a way to winterize wind turbines so that they don't stop working when there is a lot of ice?

Canada is in the top 10 of countries that are heavily invested in wind farms. I don't know how reliable any of their systems are, but my guess is that winter operations is a solved problem for them.

PatsFanLisa

No filter
Reaction score
Canada is in the top 10 of countries that are heavily invested in wind farms. I don't know how reliable any of their systems are, but my guess is that winter operations is a solved problem for them.
My understanding is most countries, including the Scandinavian countries, Canada, and virtually all of the U.S. who has wind farms included a warming package when they were built. Texas did not.

BTW, here's a wind farm in Antarctica 1613664214167.png

Last edited:

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score

/liberalmodeon

Imagine how much better life would be if smokers cared about the planet!

/liberalmodeoff

Back in the days when I used to go into the office it was always a crapshoot whether I was going to have to "run the gauntlet" of smokers standing in front of or near the office tower doors. I felt pity watching them shiver and get wet especially during the winter in order to feed their addiction. At least these folks were using the provided receptacle.

Too many people use the world as their litter box.

/liberalmodeon

Now we see that they are a major contributor to the DEATH OF THE PLANET! You can't have a steak though.

/liberalmodeoff

imapig

Roger Godell Gets mounted by Stallions
Reaction score
“BEFORE YOU COMMENT...This is NOT a political post, so don’t make it political. 🤠

I see a lot of people hating on Texas. Especially from the north.

We aren’t asking for hand outs. Those who are, probably just moved here and don’t know that’s not how it works here.

We don’t get cold weather. Plain and simple. That means we don’t have cold weather supplies. Like salt, snowplows etc.

It never stays this cold for this long. Ever.

Our houses aren’t built to withstand cold. Neither is our power grid.

No different than northerners getting 75 consecutive days of 100 degree weather in the summer.

Give us 113 degree days for a month straight and we are out cutting our yards, letting our kids set up lemonade stands and still dressing up for Church in our Sunday best every week.

When the Nashville floods happened, Texans were there to help.

When the wildfires devastated California, we sent our firefighters there.

When the hurricanes hit the Northeast and New York was unprepared. We never judged you, we sent supplies, crews and disaster relief plans we know and use all too often to aid those suffering.

When the tornadoes ripped the midwest apart, again Texas was there to help. We never asked or hesitated. We showed up before help was even asked for.

When the hurricanes hit Florida and Puerto Rico, Texas was there to help.

We even help Mexico with catastrophes often.

We have one of the largest military bases in the world here. It’s important we get shit back to normal.

So don’t shit on us, you never know when you’ll need our help.

We aren’t begging the US gov for help. We just want the electric company to keep the lights on.

And unlike most states. Texas will learn from this and fix the situation. I can guarantee you, natural gas will play a huge roll in fixing the problem. This “all electric” dream just went up in smoke.

Texans are a unique and resilient. Most importantly, we take care of one another and we are the first to jump to our feet to help those in need. We don't ask questions. We want nothing in return. We just want normalcy for ourselves and for others.

Most of us know how to survive, we just got caught off guard. But we will make it. We always do. #TexasStrong

Rise Above

God Bless Texas“
Heather Smith

Attachments

• ADBB2A1A-009B-4292-BAEF-BA8DBAF15D89.jpeg
    ADBB2A1A-009B-4292-BAEF-BA8DBAF15D89.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 4

shecolt

Reaction score

Thanks again! :) My concern was that as we head to using more wind turbines that there would be a way to winterize them. So, it's really good to know that there is because . . . "Baby, it's cold outside".

This is an article that I recently found that explains more about how it is done. Can't say that I understand a lot of it, just that I appreciate knowing that there are ways to winterize wind turbines.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
Thanks again! :) My concern was that as we head to using more wind turbines that there would be a way to winterize them. So, it's really good to know that there is because . . . "Baby, it's cold outside".

This is an article that I recently found that explains more about how it is done. Can't say that I understand a lot of it, just that I appreciate knowing that there are ways to winterize wind turbines.
Wind doesn’t always blow and the sun doesn’t always shine regardless of whether or not these ungreen methods are implemented.