Go Old England

OP
grog

grog

Chief Instigation Officer
Reaction score
I thought Old England tied it at 2-2, but just looked up and see it's still 2-1. Why? This game is for the birds. They should allow checking like in hockey, then it would be fun to watch.

PatsFan09

Done. And. Done.
Reaction score
I thought Old England tied it at 2-2, but just looked up and see it's still 2-1. Why? This game is for the birds. They should allow checking like in hockey, then it would be fun to watch.

Because the offensive player was half a step offsides.

Soccer is a great sport ; there’s a reason why it’s the most popular sport in the world.
It’s also becoming very, very popular in the US, especially for the under 25 age group.
Many of my students, even those who don’t play it, follow the EPL and La Liga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score

Checking and STICKS! :dbanana:

Patriots44

call me Beer.... Beer44
Reaction score
the flopping annoys me but I do enjoy soccer when it is a top level event like World Cup or even the Gold Cup. I wouldn't watch an MLS game

interesting side note (to me) - I don't see any diff watching mens or womens games. maybe that says something about soccer, but enjoying the USWNT... and as pats fans, we can relate to everyone else hating them for their success.

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RnJ8ZRnja7E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mikiemo83

The Future
Reaction score
Eh, except that men score goals in ways that that women usually can’t. Compare top EPL goals with the top goals of the women’s World Cup. No comparison.

women soccer players are the most fit, natural looking of athletes.... that is why I like it.

johnlocke

Reaction score
Well, I played soccer for years in Brockton and state leagues with with some success and liked it but I just can't muster the interest in watching it for some reason.

mikiemo83

The Future
Reaction score
I'm loving every second of this World Cup and Team USA. My bar is filled with exuberant, knowledgeable soccer fans. Great vibe.

Go USA!
sounds great.

Well, I played soccer for years in Brockton and state leagues with with some success and liked it but I just can't muster the interest in watching it for some reason.
I am not a soccer fan, far from it BUT I love being in a bar/restaurant with the world cup on and the different tables all watching and routing for their teams. it is a great time and a contagious environment that draws you into it. and trust me I tried not to get sucked into soccer.

bideau

Offering friendly advice
Reaction score
I'm loving every second of this World Cup and Team USA. My bar is filled with exuberant, knowledgeable soccer fans. Great vibe.

Go USA!

Sounds like a great time. I just can't generate enthusiasm for a sport I care nothing about. But in a bar setting, it would be great.

Giant Octopodes

Reaction score
Because the offensive player was half a step offsides.

Soccer is a great sport ; there’s a reason why it’s the most popular sport in the world.
It’s also becoming very, very popular in the US, especially for the under 25 age group.
Many of my students, even those who don’t play it, follow the EPL and La Liga.

Soccer is fine, though not my preference, but for what it's worth the fact that it's the most popular sport in the world is most likely due to how cheap and easy it is to set up and play. It doesn't require all the pads football does, it can be set up on any field of grass instead of requiring a flat, hard surface (pavement isn't ubiquitous outside of the USA) like basketball, and so forth. Compare it to say hockey and in the poorer countries of the world one can see its appeal on the basis of accessibility.

As far as the actual game itself, of the constant action sports, in hockey they're skating on ice the whole time and using long sticks to manipulate a relatively tiny object. It requires way more skill and imho is way more impressive to watch. Basketball is way more action, way more scoring, and way more compact, so you can more easily see what's going on at all times from any given position. Soccer is more watchable than baseball perhaps, but that's really not saying much.

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
Sounds like a great time. I just can't generate enthusiasm for a sport I care nothing about. But in a bar setting, it would be great.

Sorta like "Everything's better with Bacon".