Going to Get My Eyeballs Cut Today

How long does it take?
5 minutes start to finish, give or take. I was back in the car in under an hour (mine was over 10 years ago, still one of the best things I've ever done in my life). Home, sleep, eye drops. It doesn't hurt, but the smell of the ozone is a little disconcerting. Eyes feel like you are blinking sand for the rest of that first day, second day is VERY mild discomfort, after that it's just a matter of keeping your eyes moist until everything heals. I'd do it again tomorrow if my eyesight was significantly worse, but so far I think I'm still about 20/30 after 10 years. They told me I had enough cornea for 2 surgeries total, so I'm saving #2 for when they are substantially worse.

Hope it went well.

I'm thinking about it. Can you describe the process, procedure and how you're feeling/seeing as the days pass after the surgery, please?
The first 3 months after surgery, it's like you have x-ray vision. Swear to god, it feels like you can see every leaf on trees a mile away. That fades slowly after years, but I can still remember that feeling of "this must be what hawks feel like" for the first few months, and it was AWESOME!

Sitting at my desk in Summer School in awe.

Eyes still sting and it does feel like I've got something in both eyes but I can see pretty well. Bit of a haze over everything but my vision is amazing. I'm using readers (I'm 51) but driving in this morning was very cool. Vision was better than with contacts.

I got to the office at 1:30 yesterday. A few tests, paperwork, payment ($4,850) and then the Valium. Waited in line (yes, in line - there were three of us) and I was in and out in 15 minutes. He had four students in the room or else it would have taken much less time. He showed all four of them each incision and how to move the flap, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Not much discomfort during the procedure. When they force down the apparatus that keeps your eyes open it feels pretty weird. The incision was not painful at all. Moving the corneal flap over was strange but not painful. The laser itself looked like lightning. Lasted about 25 seconds. The ozone smell was strong.

I got up after the procedure and walked myself to the recovery room. Doctor (and students) tested both eyes and wanted to verify that the flaps had no crimps. Put some drops in and patched me up. That was it.

Went home and went right to bed around 4:15. Woke up probably around two hours later with some serious pain in the eyes but suffered through it. Fell back asleep. Got up at 10:00 for drops and something to eat. Took a sleeping pill and was out until 5:30 this morning.

Need to lubricate every hour (insert Piggy joke here) and drops twice a day but other than that, I'm good.

Driving to Albany tonight to see Styx and Def Leppard. Going to the races at Saratoga tomorrow. Life as usual.

I was told that my vision would fluctuate for the first few days but by next Friday, I can back to running and doing yard/pool work.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for all the well wishes.

Thsnks for sharing, i am thinking about this but the idea of someone cutting my eye while it is held open leads me to think I may panic and start throwing punches.

I wonder if there is a knock you out option.

Thsnks for sharing, i am thinking about this but the idea of someone cutting my eye while it is held open leads me to think I may panic and start throwing punches.

Thanks for the summary. It doesn't sound too bad. Did you have the wavefront Lasik? And where?

I think they need you awake so your pupils can react.

Thanks for the summary. It doesn't sound too bad. Did you have the wavefront Lasik? And where?

Not sure if it was called wavefront. I got it done at TLC Eye Center in Fairfield, CT. They referred to it as "custom lasik."

Couple of years ago now I had a vitrectomy that failed so I had to have a vitrectomy with a scleral buckle. You will be fine :)

That's what I would need. I'd be too squeamish, otherwise.

:shake:

Eyes still sting and it does feel like I've got something in both eyes but I can see pretty well. Bit of a haze over everything but my vision is amazing. I'm using readers (I'm 51) but driving in this morning was very cool. Vision was better than with contacts.

I got to the office at 1:30 yesterday. A few tests, paperwork, payment ($4,850) and then the Valium. Waited in line (yes, in line - there were three of us) and I was in and out in 15 minutes. He had four students in the room or else it would have taken much less time. He showed all four of them each incision and how to move the flap, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Not much discomfort during the procedure. When they force down the apparatus that keeps your eyes open it feels pretty weird. The incision was not painful at all. Moving the corneal flap over was strange but not painful. The laser itself looked like lightning. Lasted about 25 seconds. The ozone smell was strong.

I got up after the procedure and walked myself to the recovery room. Doctor (and students) tested both eyes and wanted to verify that the flaps had no crimps. Put some drops in and patched me up. That was it.

Went home and went right to bed around 4:15. Woke up probably around two hours later with some serious pain in the eyes but suffered through it. Fell back asleep. Got up at 10:00 for drops and something to eat. Took a sleeping pill and was out until 5:30 this morning.

Need to lubricate every hour (insert Piggy joke here) and drops twice a day but other than that, I'm good.

Driving to Albany tonight to see Styx and Def Leppard. Going to the races at Saratoga tomorrow. Life as usual.

I was told that my vision would fluctuate for the first few days but by next Friday, I can back to running and doing yard/pool work.

Careful driving at night for a while- my wife reported 'snowballing' for a time (there's a hazing 'ball' around light sources, but it went away fairly quickly).

Glad it was easy. I was going to tell you about the smell, but didn't want to gross you out :)

Glad to hear everything went OK. They say after a week to 10 days you may be able to see through woman's cloths.

I just picked up new glasses today after 5 years. Trying to get use to them. My eye doc didn't care for my waiting so long. He said that old farts should be checked out every year. Hope my new spec's help my putting. popcorn

I agree. Panic hit me once before and I starting throwing punches everywhere. Not sure I want to do that with my eye exposed to a laser.

or maybe they could fit you up with a straight jacket, :shrug:

Cheers, BostonTim

So I'm a week post surgery. Can't even believe how awesome my vision is.

Still using drops to keep the eyes moist. Stings a little bit when I put them in but my distance vision is unbelievable.

Need the readers though. Not too happy about that. Going to be a tough adjustment when school starts.

I would recommend this procedure to anyone who can sit still for a few minutes while some guy you just met slices your cornea, peels it back and shoots lasers into your eyes. Well worth it.

Back