Goodell: Marijuana Is Addictive & Unhealthy

I love all the manic facial expressions and insane giggling. And how about that frenzied piano playing! Didn't realize that smoking weed makes you a virtuoso.

:cool:

Notes from the pre-production meeting:

Drug Czar: We want to show parents what happens when kids smoke this stuff.

Producer: OK so we show them sitting around listening to music for an hour and a half and then binging on potato chips, got it.

Drug Czar: hmmm, that's not the effect where looking for, lets show them like they just ate a bottle of amphetamines instead.

Producer: ah, OK I guess.

Odd you would only address concussions and not fundamental gas pressure laws a 5th grade science class adequately dispelled.

Probably because permanent brain damage is a much bigger issue than Tom Brady sitting out 4 games.

Always go with the big guns Dwight. This is America, we don't **** around with half measures.

It's definitely addictive, but not to everyone I don't think. Just like cigs and alcohol...some use and don't get addicted, some do. Does anyone still deny that? Anything you feel you must do to the point that you will lose hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars if you fail testing though you know when the testing is and you STILL DO IT says it's addictive.

Whether that should matter or not, that's a different story.

Personally, I'm for decriminalizing all drugs and no longer supporting addicts with taxpayer dollars in any way (i.e. no narcan, no taxpayer funded programs, and same for alcohol) and repealing all laws (i.e. employment laws)that support them as a group. Buy insurance for ODing like you do as a smoker (life insurance). Your body, your choice. AND your consequence (the part no one seems to care about let alone require).

I do support the right of an employer to require what they want to require though. Don't like it? Work elsewhere. No one has a right to a job that accommodates their personal choices, whether the skill is rare (ie NFL player) or common (fast food worker). That's what my husband did. He smokes, and one company he was interested in does random nicotine checks. He looked elsewhere.

I would be 100% fine with it if the union and the NFL contracted to ignore marijuana as an illegal drug, and stop testing. Their agreement, their business.

So I for sure need to get a hold of some of that weed they're smoking in that film.

I thought I had the sticky icky but I've never smoked anything that made me act that.

I heard somewhere that slamming your skull into full grown men running at top speed was unhealthy...

If I recall my High School biology correctly, the difference between physical addiction and psychological addiction is withdrawal, so I don't think weed is physically addictive by that definition. It is most definitely psychologically addictive, like gambling or sex can be, and those addictions can certainly be debilitating.

@Hsanders

Marijuana isn't physically addictive. Yes people become "addicted" but only in the same sense that anything can become addictive. However, that's much different from chemical dependency like you see with drugs like opiates.

You know, like the ones NFL doctors hand out like Skittles

:banghead:

Aside...

There are advertisements on TV right now, probably during the draft last night, for a prescription medication which treats opiate related constipation.

Let that sink in for a second.

A drug company wants to sell you a prescription to treat a side effect of the addictive substance they already sold you.

And Marijuana is bad.

:banghead:

Aside...

There are advertisements on TV right now, probably during the draft last night, for a prescription medication which treats opiate related constipation.

Let that sink in for a second.

A drug company wants to sell you a prescription to treat a side effect of the addictive substance they already sold you.

And Marijuana is bad.

Opiates are better than cheese... :coffee:

If I recall my High School biology correctly, the difference between physical addiction and psychological addiction is withdrawal, so I don't think weed is physically addictive by that definition. It is most definitely psychologically addictive, like gambling or sex can be, and those addictions can certainly be debilitating.

@Hsanders

Marijuana isn't physically addictive. Yes people become "addicted" but only in the same sense that anything can become addictive. However, that's much different from chemical dependency like you see with drugs like opiates.

You know, like the ones NFL doctors hand out like Skittles

I understand what you are both saying, 100%. I am just of the belief (not backed by any research, just my thoughts) that anything that one does (and most of us have these sorts of things in one form or the other) that gives us a "rush" or whatever, gambling, sex, hang gliding even, there is some form of physical craving/need for them. I think different people are wired differently. For example, if I smoked marijuana, I may hate it, or I may become dependent on it to feel good or neither one, and could just toke every now and then for fun and/or socially and be fine with it, and not give it a thought for weeks. Or I could say cool, I tried it, enough of that and never touch it again.

They don't call parachute and base jumpers "adrenaline JUNKIES" for nothing. It's what stimulates our dopamine release (or whatever that pleasure center chemical is), IMO, whatever that thing is. I don't care how people get their kicks, as long as they bear full responsibility for the consequences and don't ask for coddling/laws/tax money/escape from wrongdoing due to it.

The funny thing about Goodell/NFL's being opposed to it is it might be the single thing that he is in favor of that some of the old school longtime fans would agree with him upon. So far, the NFL has shown complete disdain for the IMPORTANT changes old school fans hate. Marijuana smoking is so prevalent in the NFL that I would expect this to be an issue that is taken up in the new CBA, precisely because it may have the most player support of any other issue they may fight over besides money.

They (NFL owners) will allow it as soon as there's a marijuana industry wealthy enough to sponor the NFL...

Back