Goodell: Marijuana Is Addictive & Unhealthy

They (NFL owners) will allow it as soon as there's a marijuana industry wealthy enough to sponor the NFL...

LOL this is probably the truth. All helmets will have that sweet leaf sticker, all uniforms will have a patch. :D

So I for sure need to get a hold of some of that weed they're smoking in that film.

I thought I had the sticky icky but I've never smoked anything that made me act that.

Nix to that. That's some fairly sickly looking bud they show growing there. Definitely sub-standard grade.

And I think the "bottle of amphetemines" post was closer to what's shown here - including the jumping out the window part.

:eek:

@H

I'm actually a pretty decent case study for this. I smoke, for the most part, every day. This is usually limited to a small bit when I get off work much like people have a drink after work. I've been doing this for close to 15 years now.

At no point have I ever felt any kind of physical reaction to not smoking. Sometimes I'll go a week without anything with no physical consequences. No shaking. Nothing.

Now, this is not a case where I'm naturally resistant to addiction. I smoked cigarettes for quite some time and was only recently able to (hopefully) quit forever. That was after damn near 20 years of smoking.

Oddly enough, it took a mushroom trip to get my mind right enough to be able to do so but that's another story.

A movie called "The Room."

It is the most amazing thing I have ever watched in my entire life. Strongly recommend.

I am up for a good laugh. Is this it?

images

@ Jaric,

You are with MJ like I was with cigs (sort of, I smoked at my worst almost 2 packs a day and never went a day without one, unlike you with MJ). But as they got more expensive and when we both lost our jobs, I cut way way way back, to 10 cigs/day. I did that for about 6 years. I never tried to quit, never wanted to, but one day I got sick and they didn't taste good anymore, and I never touched one again after a 26 year habit.

@H

I'm actually a pretty decent case study for this. I smoke, for the most part, every day. This is usually limited to a small bit when I get off work much like people have a drink after work. I've been doing this for close to 15 years now.

At no point have I ever felt any kind of physical reaction to not smoking. Sometimes I'll go a week without anything with no physical consequences. No shaking. Nothing.

Now, this is not a case where I'm naturally resistant to addiction. I smoked cigarettes for quite some time and was only recently able to (hopefully) quit forever. That was after damn near 20 years of smoking.

Oddly enough, it took a mushroom trip to get my mind right enough to be able to do so but that's another story.

Cool on quitting jaric.

I smoked weed and 2 packs a day (except on drinking nights where it jumped to closer to 3 packs) for 7+ yrs. It's tough to get off butts.

Now that you did, why wouldn't you get your THC via gummies or candy or edibles?

That's one reason why I stopped weed so long ago. I didn't want cigarette relapse. Gummie/candy wasn't as prevalent 20 yrs ago.

@Hsanders

Marijuana isn't physically addictive. Yes people become "addicted" but only in the same sense that anything can become addictive. However, that's much different from chemical dependency like you see with drugs like opiates.

You know, like the ones NFL doctors hand out like Skittles

There is no science to dispute this. However, I am coming to believe (based on personal observation) that science will eventually back a physical addiction to THC. I think the 'quality' and prevalence of the stuff out there these days has pushed things past a threshold for some users.

That said, who cares really? Better addiction than most.

Well I'm here in Indiana so if I want edibles for the most part I have to make my own.

Also edibles are almost a different drug than smoking. Your body processes it differently when you eat it making it significantly more hallucinogenic. Also, the pot cookie business isn't all that well regulated, so even in places where it is legal the dosages aren't always well labeled

Now, you're not in any kind of mortal danger if you eat too much. I don't know if it's technically possible to have a fatal overdose but it's practically impossible. No one has so far so you're probably gonna be ok. That's one of the great things about weed is that you can't take "too much."

You'll freak the **** out and have a religious experience but it will come to an end and you're not going to die.

I actually prefer a vaporizer so instead of smoke it's just mist. Any health consequences from the actual smoke are nuetralized.

There is no science to dispute this. However, I am coming to believe (based on personal observation) that science will eventually back a physical addiction to THC. I think the 'quality' and prevalence of the stuff out there these days has pushed things past a threshold for some users.

That said, who cares really? Better addiction than most.

There are people who eat their hair...drink their own piss...eat other people...

Yeah, I'd say weed is pretty far down on the serious addiction problems list.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Well I'm here in Indiana so if I want edibles for the most part I have to make my own.

Also edibles are almost a different drug than smoking. Your body processes it differently when you eat it making it significantly more hallucinogenic. Also, the pot cookie business isn't all that well regulated, so even in places where it is legal the dosages aren't always well labeled

Now, you're not in any kind of mortal danger if you eat too much. I don't know if it's technically possible to have a fatal overdose but it's practically impossible. No one has so far so you're probably gonna be ok. That's one of the great things about weed is that you can't take "too much."

You'll freak the **** out and have a religious experience but it will come to an end and you're not going to die.

I actually prefer a vaporizer so instead of smoke it's just mist. Any health consequences from the actual smoke are nuetralized.

The body buzz is really fun...

The therapeutic index of THC is really wide
(that is the ratio of ED50- the dose that effects 50% of the people that take it- to the LD50, which is the dose that kills 50% of the people that take it)-
basically, you have to ingest a metric shit ton more to kill you than to buzz you.

This differs significantly from say, alcohol, which can kill you at doses not that much higher than required to get you lubed.

I used to know the numbers, but my intro pharmacology course was a looooong time and many neuron-killing beers ago.

The therapeutic index of THC is really wide
(that is the ratio of ED50- the dose that effects 50% of the people that take it- to the LD50, which is the dose that kills 50% of the people that take it)-
basically, you have to ingest a metric shit ton more to kill you than to buzz you.

This differs significantly from say, alcohol, which can kill you at doses not that much higher than required to get you lubed.

I used to know the numbers, but my intro pharmacology course was a looooong time and many neuron-killing beers ago.

As far as I can tell, the Ld50 for THC is so high it's practically unattainable. I'm fairly confident you'd pass out before you got in that deep.

Or more likely run out of weed.

Like I said before, it hasn't killed anyone yet so the odds are for sure in your favor.

@ Jaric,

You are with MJ like I was with cigs (sort of, I smoked at my worst almost 2 packs a day and never went a day without one, unlike you with MJ). But as they got more expensive and when we both lost our jobs, I cut way way way back, to 10 cigs/day. I did that for about 6 years. I never tried to quit, never wanted to, but one day I got sick and they didn't taste good anymore, and I never touched one again after a 26 year habit.
Prior to quiting I also scaled down from about a pack a day to 4-5, but could never quit entirely.

Then I ate a bunch of mushrooms and after the experience the desire to smoke was gone. It's been almost a year with no relapses and honestly no real desire to pick it back up.

I've actually heard similar stories about mushrooms being used to treat alcoholics and other types of addictions. I'm not going to make any definitive claims other than it worked for me and I think it's worth studying.

But drugs are bad so that won't happen.

By the way, I'm aware I'm playing out the stereotype of the pothead who won't shut the **** up about weed. That's not lost on me.

However, there's so many misconceptions and flat out false information about it I feel a bit of an obligation to make sure people know the facts about it since it's going to become a national issue soon, and I want people making decisions off the best evidence they can have.

@H

I think addiction is in your personality. I smoked, pretty much daily, for 23 years. In the morning. During the day. At night. Hard as hell for me to quit. I know O.Z.O. Jr. "partakes" occasionally, but not anywhere near the degree that I did but he has friends that do.

But, cigarettes were easy for me to quit. Woke up one day with a pack of Luckies on my night stand. Crumpled it up, threw it in the trash and never looked back.

Prior to quiting I also scaled down from about a pack a day to 4-5, but could never quit entirely.

Then I ate a bunch of mushrooms and after the experience the desire to smoke was gone. It's been almost a year with no relapses and honestly no real desire to pick it back up.

I've actually heard similar stories about mushrooms being used to treat alcoholics and other types of addictions. I'm not going to make any definitive claims other than it worked for me and I think it's worth studying.

But drugs are bad so that won't happen.

71ZhM1XByRL._SL1500_large.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

I think addiction is in your personality. I smoked, pretty much daily, for 23 years. In the morning. During the day. At night. Hard as hell for me to quit. I know O.Z.O. Jr. "partakes" occasionally, but not anywhere near the degree that I did but he has friends that do.

But, cigarettes were easy for me to quit. Woke up one day with a pack of Luckies on my night stand. Crumpled it up, threw it in the trash and never looked back.

I don't smoke many cigs/cigars...but, when I drink a good micro, it's like bacon and eggs (thanks Ed Bernays).

Back