Great Plays From Patriots History

Ben Coates seems to get kind of forgotten, partially because his jersey number went to Gronk.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRakTybqDUs&t=2s

Coates is one of my personal top 10 Patriots of all time. Big, powerful and strong, he wasn't just a precursor to Gronk, he was the prototype for Gronk.
He loved giving out punishment. One guy wasn't bringing him down unless it was a lucky shoe string thing. Normally he'd plow through one or two guys
before getting in the clear for a TD or getting mobbed by 3 other defenders. I loved watching him chug up the field, arms and legs flailing until the last second before ball
contact when his shoulders, arms and head would go perfectly motionless, focused on the ball, until the catch was made. He could tip-toe on the sideline as well the best WRs.

I wish he'd take a bigger part in the Patriots today.

Wiki is no good on Coates but this is a good short read.

Last edited:
3rd and 10 from the 9 yard line, 3:15 to go, Brady from a yard deep in the end zone to Hogan for a 1st down at the 25, SB 51. If that play doesn't happen, the game tying drive is dead.
It is astonishing how many things had to go right in the comeback sequence of that game by virtue of simply having no time.

The multiple 2-point conversions as a result of the missed XP, etc. Every time you watch that game, there's an "oh, yeah" moment like the one you pointed out.

Dee. Ford.

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

Back