Grossman out 3-4 months

HomelessJoe

Unknown User
Reaction score
Grossman Breaks Ankle

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Chicago Bears quarterback Rex Grossman broke his left ankle early in the second quarter of Friday night's preseason game against the St. Louis Rams and will be sidelined three to four months.

Grossman, who played in only three games last season before being shelved by a right knee injury, was hurt with 11:08 to go in the half on a 4-yard completion to Darnell Sanders. After being flushed out of the pocket by Jeremy Loyd and Trev Faulk and getting spun around by Faulk, he got back to his feet.

While limping, Grossman signaled for a trainer. He then sat down and grabbed his left knee in pain, and slammed his helmet on the cart before being taken off the field.

The Bears used four quarterbacks last year and have used at least three in six of seven seasons. They could be stuck in a similar predicament this year given that backup Chad Hutchinson is unproven.

General manager Jerry Angelo said in the offseason that he was committed to having a veteran backup on board, but the team passed on Kurt Warner, Brad Johnson and Jay Fiedler.

Grossman was 6-for-11 for 52 yards before leaving the scoreless game. He was replaced by Hutchinson, who led the Bears to their only first-half score on the same drive.
----------------------
Think they'll take Davey?

Has anyone in pro sports had worse luck than Grossman the past 2 yrs? Simply amazed about how he tore his knee up last yr and missed basically the whole season and now this.

On a side note, the Bears signed Jeff Blake over the weekend to backup Hutchinson. And I love this quote from the Chicago Sun Times from Lovie Smith being asked why they signed Blake.

And what do the Bears see in him?

"He's a guy who's played in the league a while,'' coach Lovie Smith said. "And he's available.''

ROFL Why not Testerverde?

Hmmm... I didn't think the Bears would go with Hutch. As soon as it was learned Rex was out, long term, I told the hubby, and he agreed, that Orton would be the starter this. He's shown a hell of a lot more than Hutch has the past few games. Although I really thought that they'd be starting Orton, especially against Buff, to get him as much playing time against starters as possible. Guess they didn't make up their mind until after that game. :shrug:

From kffl....

Bears | Orton Might Be Named Starter Soon
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:41:18 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears QB Kyle Orton is expected to be named the starting QB, perhaps as early as Sunday, Aug. 28.

Okay... So it's offiicial now, and once again, I was right*. :D

Bears | Orton Named Starting QB
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 11:19:25 -0700

The Chicago Bears have named rookie QB Kyle Orton as their new starting quarterback for the start of the 2005 season.

Bears | Blake to Serve as No. 2 QB
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 11:17:19 -0700

The Chicago Bears have named QB Jeff Blake as their No. 2 quarterback entering the season.

*I have to take what little I can right now, since I'm going to be eating some big ass crow this week, as well as sporting a new, disgusting, repulsive, nausea inducing avatar. :Eason:

Say it isn't so, MGO! Tell me you didn't lose a bet to Ken and now have to sport a...I shudder to think of it...a Manning av. Oh the humanity! The humanity!

#54 said:
Say it isn't so, MGO! Tell me you didn't lose a bet to Ken and now have to sport a...I shudder to think of it...a Manning av. Oh the humanity! The humanity!

No, it's worse... I lost a bet to a whole bunch of people and have to sport an Ohio State avatar. I also have to come up with some witty, awe inspiring, praise for Hawg's football knowledge (although, since the guy does impress me all the time with his football knowledge, that one shouldn't be too difficult ;) ).

I believe there were a couple other bets as well, but I can't recall them off hand. I'm going to have to go and find that thread and see what things I agreed to. :eek:

Back