Hank Aaron RIP

Roberto71

Reaction score
I know very little about baseball but that name, Hank Aaron, is a name right up there with Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson, Ty Cobb of the names I know in Baseball.

RIP, clearly he was a great ballplayer.

No way! That’s so sad; one of my baseball heroes. I’ve been a baseball fanatic since 4 years old, and I have two signed cards by Aaron that my dad got for me when he went taser Aaron play.

One of the greatest to ever play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OMG. I'm so sad over this. What a player. Rest in peace, man. You earned it.

I know very little about baseball but that name, Hank Aaron, is a name right up there with Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson, Ty Cobb of the names I know in Baseball.

RIP, clearly he was a great ballplayer.
<iframe width="962" height="541" src="Vin Scully calls Hank Aaron's historic 715th home run - YouTube" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Beyond legendary. RIP Mr. Aaron.

I followed Hank and also Willie Mays since both are from Alabama. Great careers and even better people.

No way! That’s so sad; one of my baseball heroes. I’ve been a baseball fanatic since 4 years old, and I have two signed cards by Aaron that my dad got for me when he went taser Aaron play.

One of the greatest to ever play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's really cool to have those cards.

I thought this was a great story from Peter King about Hank. He was a huge Browns fan and used to try and go to the games and sit with the fans in the Dawg Pound and happy not to be recognised, even going to training camp to watch with the fans!

2. HANK AARON AND THE BROWNS. The man who broke Babe Ruth’s career home-run record, once thought unbreakable (more about him later in the column), died Friday in Atlanta. Aaron was a huge Cleveland Browns fan. So huge that he used to buy single tickets in the Dawg Pound (the end zone with the crazy fans), fly from his Atlanta home to Cleveland on three or four Sunday mornings every autumn, bundle up, sit anonymously and alone in the stands, and fly back to Atlanta Sunday evening. Who knew? Ernie Accorsi, the GM of the Browns in the eighties, did. One summer day in 1986, at Browns training camp in Kirtland, Ohio, Accorsi thought he spied Aaron behind the ropes, watching practice with fans. Accorsi, a huge baseball fan, sidled up near Aaron and introduced himself. “I know you!” Aaron said. “It’s an honor to meet you.” That started a relationship that Accorsi, of course, was thrilled to have. “He told me he sat in the Dawg Pound, alone, for games, and I told him, ‘Hank, we can get you better seats than that.’ He said, ‘I don’t want ‘em. I love sitting there.’ “

Accorsi said Aaron became a Browns fan early in life because they were the first team, under Paul Brown, to sign and feature black stars—Bill Willis, Marion Motley, Len Ford, all of whom earned busts in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Aaron subscribed to the Cleveland Plain Dealer by mail to follow the team during the season. And once every week or 10 days, Accorsi’s phone would ring, and Aaron would want some scoop on his team. “He’s everything everybody has said about him,” Accorsi said. “A gentleman. Completely humble. And he loved his Browns.”

Back