Happy 59th Birthday, Dr. Who!

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
I love Dr. Who. I grew up on Dr. Who. For me, the 3 BIG nostalgic loves from TV were Star Trek, the Munsters, and Dr. Who. I have bittersweet memories of the 25th Anniversary of Dr. WHo, thinking what a great run it was for such a low budget show, but that it's run was coming to an end, what with all the new big budget Sci-Fi shows and movies coming out at the time.

I was half right. The people running BBC HATED the show and wanted to kill it, and they did, but it came back when they were gone! And boy, did it ever come back! The budgets are a tiny bit bigger, the special effects are a tiny bit better, but the show held on to it's low budget, cracker jack special effects, semi serious plots, but great actors and great script writers delivering something special that is so rare on TV now.

Watching Dr. Who is kind of like watching a college budget stage production of Star Trek, but with stellar acting and a franchise that loves it's fans as much as the fans love the show. Very much like Star Trek, there is so much of the show that endures, and like Star Trek, watching the old classics, lacking the budgets and special effects and merchandising, are as good or better than the newest high tech glossy animated CGI special effects.

I can't believe that I remember the 25th anniversary like it was yesterday, and here we are approaching 60! Of course, for me, Tom Baker will always be the best Doctor, but I am happy to say that there have been several honest to goodness great doctors since his day, and that is really the key to the show....getting the right actor.

Rather than post a bunch of videos....I'll just post a few of my favorite quotes from the show over the decades, starting with my FAVORITE quote from my FAVORITE Doctor which I still use to this day!
1669211797588.png
1669210845493.png

1669210914513.png
1669211154314.png
1669211208983.png
1669211418776.png
1669211630615.png

1669212181692.png

I love all the doctors, some more than others. Some were naturals, others, such as Matt Smith, sort of grew into the role and finished strong. "Bow Ties are cool!"

I hiope I am not alone on this Patriots Planet in nostalgia and love for The Doctor.
:wuv:

Attachments

• 1669210986570.png
    1669210986570.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
Tom Baker Dr Who was my favorite... I was positively in love with Leela back then and would tune in to PBS channel 2 every week night at 7pm. Pretty sure that was the time it came on.

Channel 2, 7PM.

Leela - I don't know what to believe anymore.
Doctor - Well that sounds healthy, anyway, Leela; never be certain of anything. It's a sign of weakness.
:thumb:

Tom Baker was my favorite as well.

The opening in those nights at 7 on PBS blew me away. For those who know a bit about me here my love of that opening was a portent of future days, hell all the way to the present with no end in sight. :)

Happy Birthday Doctor.

View: https://youtu.be/1fnzcAFy8d8

Tom Baker was my favorite as well.

The opening in those nights at 7 on PBS blew me away. For those who know a bit about me here my love of that opening was a portent of future days, hell all the way to the present with no end in sight. :)

Happy Birthday Doctor.

View: https://youtu.be/1fnzcAFy8d8

Et moi aussi. He seemed to me just made for the part.

Indeed he was.

Now speak English, this is America. I apparently am so retarded at learning other languages that I failed Spanish 1 3 years in a row.

Or maybe I just didn't give a shit. 😂

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving Tim.

Back