Has the Deflategate BS affected your enjoyment of the NFL?

Has Deflategate reduced your enjoyment of the NFL?

• Total voters
I remember watching Patriot games in the early 90's, with people I knew asking me why I bother because "they'll never win a SB". Some of those people now post on FB (I hear, I'm not on FB) about how much the team means to them.

Those are the fans the NFL wants.

Good point. The UK is full of Pats fans who would have been Bears/Redskins/Giants fans when I started watching.

If you guys get a chance, get involved with your local HS team or similar. Having the Exiles is a positive reminder of what's great about Football: guys of all shapes and sizes, knocking lumps out of each other, doing it purely for fun. At the end of it all, they (generally) line up and shake each other's hands and everyone "leaves it all on the field". The passion is great and seeing new guys develop is great.

I remember watching Patriot games in the early 90's, with people I knew asking me why I bother because "they'll never win a SB". Some of those people now post on FB (I hear, I'm not on FB) about how much the team means to them.

I'm proud to say and not shy to admit that I went to many of those games in the late 80s/early 90s despite how horrible they were. To say our loyalty has been rewarded is a gross understatement.

We had a lot of good times in that old stadium.

The "shield" is chasing the noisy masses. The same "fans" who jump from thing to thing because they aren't invested in what they make noise about.

In the meantime the passionate fans who actually invest time and money are turned off more and more each year.

The 32 think Goodhell is doing a great job because the numbers look good but the support is a mile wide and an inch deep. When this goes bad it's going to go bad quickly and the dopes won't see it coming.

The "shield" is chasing the noisy masses. The same "fans" who jump from thing to thing because they aren't invested in what they make noise about.

In the meantime the passionate fans who actually invest time and money are turned off more and more each year.

The 32 think Goodhell is doing a great job because the numbers look good but the support is a mile wide and an inch deep. When this goes bad it's going to go bad quickly and the dopes won't see it coming.

:thumb: Great insight. You could well be exactly right.

Cheers, BostonTim

yeah, pretty much what most here say, i watched the Pats games and a couple other games that effect the Pats but to just watch a random game is over
Patty*

This

I made a similar point in the SB50 Prediction thread. It's all about excuses and controversy now. They fire up the fringe fan and edge out the die hards because they know they already have us.

#1 rated TV show on 5 Networks: FACT not OPINION

Roger Goodell keeps preaching integrity, but the way they conduct themselves is anything but...They were able to stay on page 1 the entire offseason over air in footballs FFS :banghead:

This isn't your Father's NFL. Bring back Paul Tags

Good point about the transient support. Given the poor governance of the League, it's not hard to imagine that a disastrous scandal is out there and, as you said, they won't see it coming.

For me, it's taken a tremendous toll on my NFL experience.

I used to be "all in" from August til the first week of February. Watching every game I could, enjoying four fantasy football leagues,

I used to spend a decent amount of my NFL experience, not just money, but time. Season tickets, lots of gear for myself and family. Sirius NFL radio on the ride home, NFL All Access at 7 pm, and all the analysis shows..... all week.

I still do the tickets as its still enjoyable to get with family and friends around a tailgate and the onfield stuff has only gotten slightly worse in my opinion. I don't really blame the refs as much as I blame an illogical rulebook with too many damn rules in it, but that's for another thread.

But the rest is out. I didn't spend a cent on gear this year and I won't next year either. I'm done with NFL radio and all the analysis shows as well. I still play fantasy football, mostly because that is a good chance to get with my neighbors, bust balls, and other ways to socialize. My teams did worse, as I am not paying attention as much as I did before.

But the best way I can state how my enjoyment of this league has been diminished is by saying I openly root for bad things to happen to the league and to certain of the higher-up on Park Avenue. I hope there are more scandals for the league to fvck up on. I want more HGH scandals, more drug problems for the league, most members involved in violence of any kind... just about anything to bring a black eye to this corrupt institution. I would welcome Federal hearings on concussions or PED use. I would welcome lawsuits for defamation that would hopefully expose the underside and the illegitimacy foisted upon us by Ginger haired shitheads in New York. And to be completely honest, if by some set of circumstances the NFL is outlawed (I know, total pipedream, but if it was) I would be totally fine with it and would find other pursuits for my time and money. I don't think I could leave on my own, but if everyone was forced to do without the NFL I think I could adjust in short order.

Down with the NFL, Down with GoodHELL, Down with corruption.

I used to think that, to some extent, the NFL 'got it', but that was in the pre-Goodell days. Rozelle and his people in the front office did seem to have a handle on things. This was the league that was racking up the ratings due to a good product and they seemed to do things right, unlike the other sports (particularly baseball, which people always pointed to as getting it wrong).

Now it's just the Emperor With No Clothes On. People like the networks are bowing, scraping and praising Goodell and the NFL while fans are seeing the Emperor for what he is. It's tough to get the word out, as almost every network (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, ESPN, etc.) are in deep with the league, spending a ton of dough to broadcast games but making a ton, too. Patriots fans are the kid who pointed and said, "Hey! The Emperor has no clothes on!" but with modern media, it's hard to get anyone to listen.

Nothing good (for the NFL) lasts forever. Someday the bubble will burst. It all goes in cycles. Baseball, boxing and horse racing once ruled the American sports world and now only baseball has any relevance. The concussion thing combined with the owners' greed and shortsightedness will kill the golden goose. Also, the product is now so mediocre and watered down that'll be a factor, too. American society claims to prize excellence, but what it really wants is to pull the high achievers back down to the pack. It's one of the reasons the NFL stole draft picks from the Patriots so that they could hamper a consistently excellent organization.

When the end comes, it'll be a spectacular collapse! :toast:

Praise Hurley! More evidence the NFL is run by morons.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/02/...uncomfortable-video-in-the-history-of-sports/

BOSTON (CBS) — The NFL never fails to find new ways to surprise you.

It could be a full-fledged scandal over inflated footballs. It could be a referee flipping a coin but not making it flip. It could be a catch in Green Bay that somehow became something that was not a catch. It could be anything, really.

And now, today, on the first of February in the year 2016, we have … well, we have this.

(Credit/blame for unearthing this one goes to SB Nation who managed to fit “touching-butts-and-stuff” into the URL somehow and for some reason.)

This is a video which features Super Bowl babies. Never heard of Super Bowl babies before? Well, that’s because nobody’s ever heard of Super Bowl babies before. Because the concept of Super Bowl babies is kind of weird on its surface and becomes EXTREMELY weird when it involves the Super Bowl babies singing about how they came to be Super Bowl babies.

Yet, that’s what we’ve got here. Little kids — and in other less-weird-but-still-very-weird instances, adults — using the power of song to talk about the time a man on the television scored a touchdown, thereby prompting Mommy and Daddy to feel a little bit more amorous that fateful February evening, thus resulting in … Super Bowl babies.

Just to be clear, this was not a one-off idea that was thrown out onto the Internet in the form of a thoughtless tweet. This was a professionally produced, professionally recorded bit of work.

Not only was this idea thrown around in a conference room inside 345 Park Avenue; it was given a thumbs up by people in charge.

Not only did the NFL likely put out a casting call for singing children who have birthdays in October of specific years; the NFL put out such casting calls in eight different cities … and then flew all of those people to be together for a grand shot.

Not only did the NFL send cameras to remote locations to film the kids; the NFL sent cranes to really capture the heartland of America.

Not only did the NFL record all of these kids and adults singing this disturbing song; the NFL HIRED SEAL TO SING “OOH!” WHILE STANDING NEAR THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE.

A man (or a woman, or a team of men and women) walked into a room and said, “I’ve got this great idea. We get a bunch of kids to talk about their parents conceiving them, and they sing to the tune of this very hip and popular song by Seal, who is a very relevant star at this point in time. It will cost us a ton of money and require an incredible amount of time and the end result will be something that is totally normal!”

And someone else — or even worse, a team of people — said “Yes. This is an excellent idea.”

This is, beyond a doubt, the single weirdest ad campaign of all time … especially because it’s not even an ad campaign. It’s not selling anything except for weirdness.

ESPN’s Darren Rovell spent time reporting on this video, and he said a shorter version will air during the Super Bowl, and that it’s part of the NFL’s “Football is Family” campaign. Because nothing says “family” quite like coerced sexual education lessons for 7-year-old kids from New York City.

It’s also poorly written. If you’re going to make kids sing a song about Mom and Dad getting hot and heavy, could you do better than this?

“When there were no more jalapenos, chili, bacon, chicken wings, Mommy and Dad, they cuddled, canoodled all night.”
What?

And why is this video THREE MINUTES long? That is three minutes too many. This video should be zero seconds long.

What the heck.

No.

No, no, no.

Why?

No.

I used to think that, to some extent, the NFL 'got it', but that was in the pre-Goodell days. Rozelle and his people in the front office did seem to have a handle on things. This was the league that was racking up the ratings due to a good product and they seemed to do things right, unlike the other sports (particularly baseball, which people always pointed to as getting it wrong).

Now it's just the Emperor With No Clothes On. People like the networks are bowing, scraping and praising Goodell and the NFL while fans are seeing the Emperor for what he is. It's tough to get the word out, as almost every network (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, ESPN, etc.) are in deep with the league, spending a ton of dough to broadcast games but making a ton, too. Patriots fans are the kid who pointed and said, "Hey! The Emperor has no clothes on!" but with modern media, it's hard to get anyone to listen.

Nothing good (for the NFL) lasts forever. Someday the bubble will burst. It all goes in cycles. Baseball, boxing and horse racing once ruled the American sports world and now only baseball has any relevance. The concussion thing combined with the owners' greed and shortsightedness will kill the golden goose. Also, the product is now so mediocre and watered down that'll be a factor, too. American society claims to prize excellence, but what it really wants is to pull the high achievers back down to the pack. It's one of the reasons the NFL stole draft picks from the Patriots so that they could hamper a consistently excellent organization.

When the end comes, it'll be a spectacular collapse! :toast:

Great post. As the Football itself gets worse (and I agree that it is getting worse), the story will turn to the off-field activities. I have no doubt that a game like Football is played by an higher than average number of people with severe personality disorders. Some of those people will be doing things that have been hidden from the public - so far. I have no evidence for this, but my career (in social work, amongst many other things) tells me the really bad stuff is out there.

I used to be an NFL fan, now I'm just a Patriots fan.

Haven't watch neutral games all year, haven't watched the various shows about football.

I watch the Pats, hang hear and read PFT. That's it.

i agree darth.i have a penned up hatred for the league/goodell now.couldn't enjoy our SB win because of all this nonsense.

I knew the NFL was never a bunch of choirboys but the blatant hypocrisy and hatred for Tom and the Patriots has turned me off. I used to be a big NFL fan in addition to rooting for the Pats but now I'm waiting for the day when the hogs get slaughtered, as Mark Cuban predicted. Every proclamation from the NFL offices is met with total disbelief by me, laced with contempt. I haven't bought anything NFL-related in two years, and that includes Patriots stuff.

What used to be a great game is now tainted by petty little men who try and sweep concussion evidence and Manning's* HGH evidence under the rug while going after Brady with virtually no evidence at all. Envy is one thing, but this pathological hatred just makes me sick.

I can see myself walking away as a fan in the future, probably after Brady's retirement. I'm tired of the double standard and the whole mess.
i'm with ya there brady girl.i've watched this sport for 40 years,not really interested in it anymore.

I'm proud to say and not shy to admit that I went to many of those games in the late 80s/early 90s despite how horrible they were. To say our loyalty has been rewarded is a gross understatement.

We had a lot of good times in that old stadium.

i hear ya patriots4ever.i got aseason ticket in 93,and up until this year,loved going to games.the NFL has ruined our reputation with all these bullshitgates.

Back