Hindsight in 2020 -- Redoing Some Recent Pats Drafts

It is possible just because he will be a FA but I don't think he is getting anything above Wilson. I don't think any of the GMs see him as a difference maker the way they do with Wilson, Mahomes, Lamar. I also think the Ravens will want to make a statement with Lamar's contract. Remember this is the team that made awful Joe Flacco the highest paid QB in the game after his one SB win.
Wilson is one of the best in the NFL...

Cherry Pick? Strawman? You're really something, Mazz.
The Ravens are 6-4 (about to be 6-5). Lamar Jackson is PFF's 23rd ranked QB. Last year he was the 5th ranked QB. That's quite a drop from Top 5 to Below Average.
Would you pick up his 5th year option for $25M + based on his 23rd ranked performance?
No strawman and no cherry picking there. Just cold hard football facts.

BTW, Cam is ranked 18th.
This post has not aged well. :coffee:

Let me give you a few stats so you will understand why Lamar is a lock to get extended by the Ravens and why no matter what your advanced stats say for this season, he is about the lowest down the list in terms of issues for the Ravens and they will pay him handsomely very shortly.

Lamar's record since 2018: 25-7
Completion percentage - 63%
TDs and INTs: 57/15 (led the league in passing TDs last year)

Now for the rushing:
2,476 yards in 2.5 seasons (an NFL record 1,206 in 2019; on pace for 1000 this year)
15 TDs

I don't know why you are trying to disparage him so badly when it is clear the Ravens have many issues on their team. Lamar is not one of them. The contract he will sign will be second only to Mahomes. Remember Harbaugh was about to be canned until Lamar showed up.

Mazz must be married to Lamar. I can't figure out any other way she knows he's a lock to get extended especially when he's the 24th ranked QB by PFF and, like the Pats, the Ravens are on the outside of the playoffs looking in. Teams are defending him well this year.
$25M is a lot of money for his option year. Oh well, plenty of time for the Ravens to think about that.

Mazz must be married to Lamar. I can't figure out any other way she knows he's a lock to get extended especially when he's the 24th ranked QB by PFF and, like the Pats, the Ravens are on the outside of the playoffs looking in. Teams are defending him well this year.
$25M is a lot of money for his option year. Oh well, plenty of time for the Ravens to think about that.
I think it has to be personal between you and Lamar. I have never seen anyone trash a QB like this before. The guy wins games for them like no one in their history. He is now 27-7 over a little less than 3 seasons. He was an unanimous league MVP. He battled Covid this year and has come back with 2 straight wins including putting up 47 last night against one of their division rivals that was coming in red hot. He is most likely going to finish with 5 straight wins and a 11-5 record which will put them in the post-season for the third straight season since he has been their QB. I am not sure why you keep saying that the Ravens won't pay him. It's bizarre.

Last edited:
Lamar Jackson was the 23rd ranked QB when I wrote that...
now he's the 24th ranked QB.
Who hasn't aged well?
My goodness. Is that all you think GMs look at when evaluating a QB like Lamar who is the most dynamic runner the game has ever seen? He is 11th in QBR. He is a dynamic difference maker every single time he touches the ball. He makes that entire team go. Look at his stat line from last night vs a solid Browns team that was surging - he threw for 163 and a TD AND ran for 124 and 2 TDs. Their defense gave up 42 and he still won them the game. Do you think Ravens mgmt looks at that and thinks, hmmm but he is only 24th ranked QB? I mean, really?

They are 8th in points. 8th!! Their defense has not been good this year like last year and yet he has them on track to win 11 games. And he did not even play a game they lost due to Covid. Could have been 12 wins. The guy is a winner. Winners get paid.

Last edited:
Mazz22 has some strong opinions, but I have to admit, usually backs it up with solid data.

Jackson has those games where he is right on the spot, like the final winning drive last night (all I saw of it) and some where he seems pretty wild, but I think the prime reason why many folks aren't sold on him is that running QBs are often one bad hit away from Averageville. On that the experts are all in synch.

His stats do look impressive, but how much of that is the extreme measures teams have to employ to keep him from running wild on them?

I will also allow that he looked pretty skinny at Louisville, but is now a lot more solid and he can both avoid and take a hit. He's tougher than a week-old bagel.

Still, one of these days he's going to get a serious leg injury and I don't know what will happen if he loses a step or two. I'm not going to bet against him, though.

I hate the Ravens and their coach, but I admire the chance they took over several years to develop a new/old style that is radically different from the NFL norm and I have to take my hat off to them for pulling it off and Jackson was the guy that makes it go. Their OL is pretty shaky now, but they can still put up 40 plus. That's unusual.

Mazz22 has some strong opinions, but I have to admit, usually backs it up with solid data.

Jackson has those games where he is right on the spot, like the final winning drive last night (all I saw of it) and some where he seems pretty wild, but I think the prime reason why many folks aren't sold on him is that running QBs are often one bad hit away from Averageville. On that the experts are all in synch.

His stats do look impressive, but how much of that is the extreme measures teams have to employ to keep him from running wild on them?

I will also allow that he looked pretty skinny at Louisville, but is now a lot more solid and he can both avoid and take a hit. He's tougher than a week-old bagel.

Still, one of these days he's going to get a serious leg injury and I don't know what will happen if he loses a step or two. I'm not going to bet against him, though.

I hate the Ravens and their coach, but I admire the chance they took over several years to develop a new/old style that is radically different from the NFL norm and I have to take my hat off to them for pulling it off and Jackson was the guy that makes it go. Their OL is pretty shaky now, but they can still put up 40 plus. That's unusual.
I can't stand the Ravens either but tip of the hat to them for developing this hybrid offense. Jackson is a unique talent. I never really see him take a massive hit because he is just so slippery and elusive. Vick used to get crushed. Cam got crushed. Jackson is a different breed. I don't know either if he will stay healthy but he will continue to develop, he is a smart kid who works hard. He has the "IT" factor which is so hard to find in a QB. He wins a ton and he is a dynamic. Not sure why there would be any question that not only will the Ravens pay him but he is most likely getting a top 5 contract.

I can't stand the Ravens either but tip of the hat to them for developing this hybrid offense. Jackson is a unique talent. I never really see him take a massive hit because he is just so slippery and elusive. Vick used to get crushed. Cam got crushed. Jackson is a different breed. I don't know either if he will stay healthy but he will continue to develop, he is a smart kid who works hard. He has the "IT" factor which is so hard to find in a QB. He wins a ton and he is a dynamic. Not sure why there would be any question that not only will the Ravens pay him but he is most likely getting a top 5 contract.

He has the "it" factor until a team shuts down his running and he's left to make reads. Most of the time he can't seem to make a read. Why do you think he has such a bad record when trailing by more than 10 points?

That's a clever analogy except Brees seems to be really injury prone these past few years.

He has the "it" factor until a team shuts down his running and he's left to make reads. Most of the time he can't seem to make a read. Why do you think he has such a bad record when trailing by more than 10 points?
Very difficult to do. That's like saying just get pressure on the Qb. Teams can do it in spurts but hard to do it consistently. That is why he is 27-7.

Back