Hindsight in 2020 -- Redoing Some Recent Pats Drafts

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
There is an old saying that “hindsight is 20/20” – which basically means that it is easy to look back after the fact and know what the right thing to do was or at least way easier than knowing in advance. Nothing is a better example of that than the crapshoot that is the NFL draft, but.......I got curious.

Since the media is having a field day trying to roast Bill Belichick at the stake for our, lets say, lack of dynamic NFL talent at several key positions, I have been asking myself what the truth of the matter is and it’s hard to argue that this is clearly the case as we approach the halfway point of the most bizarre season in NFL history. We pretty much suck at TE, WR, LB and are subpar on the defensive line. QB is also a huge question mark, to put it kindly.

With all that in mind I have decided to have a little fun with all of this and revisit a few of our recent drafts just to see if there were any players available that might have been able to help us be a little more competitive in the year one AB (anno Brady). Let’s see what we could’ve done had we been a little bit sharper in the scouting department. Call it an exercise in imagination.

In order to make this simpler I just stuck with the draft slot we ended up with after trades (or whatever) and didn’t worry about all the little details. I just took a different guy than our GM did and I promise that in each case this is exactly the move I would have made (as if).

Our first selection in this draft was Derek Rivers (83rd overall) and he’s been basically a hole on the roster ever since, but we could’ve taken WR Chris Godwin (84th) instead.

Next, we got zero help from OT Antonio Garcia taken at 85. I’ll pass over Kareem Hunt due to his anger management issues and take TE Jonnu Smith who has given the Titans 22 catches for 5 TDs this year and appears to be on the rise at a position where we could use a little help.

We took Deatrich Wise Jr. at 131 and the nicest thing I can say about him is he's an emotional player who is tall. He can’t set an edge and is not especially quick or strong, so I’ll push the eject button on him and go for RB Marlon Mack (143) who is hurt now, but has rushed for about 2400 yards and scored 20 TDs for the Colts.

Our 4th and last guy at pick 211 was Conor McDermott who was entirely forgettable ( other than the fact he came out of the closet as a gay man after being employed here) and while I’d love to add some defense to our roster I couldn’t pass on K Harrison Butker (233) who is deadly from about 60 on in and would’ve prevented us from rolling the dice with Nick Folk anytime we have to chance a 40-yard+ knuckleball from a guy whose own family likely covers their eyes when he kicks.

We took Isiah Wynn (23) and Sony Michel (31) in the 1st round with some mixed results, but we could’ve instead had Lamar (MVP) Jackson (32) and Darius (DPOY) Leonard (36).

Unfortunately we then whiffed on Duke Dawson (56) but in a more perfect world we might have stumbled across Fred Warner (70) who just destroyed our offense last week.

We then selected Ja’Whaun Bentley at 143 but in my rich fantasy world we skipped the opportunity to take perhaps the least athletic LB in the entire league and took DT Bilal Nichols (145) who kicked some ass Thursday night for the Bears.

While the results of this draft aren’t fully know, it represents a pretty good haul overall. However, it wasn’t hard for me to redo our first two picks.

I’m going to erase the selections of the much-maligned N. Harry (32) and the pine-riding Joejuan Williams (45) and go with Deebo Samuels (36) and D.K. Metcalf (64).

I’ll keep Chase Winovich and Damien Harris, but will swap Yodny Cajuste (101) for the Raiders’ pass rusher Mad Maxx Crosby (107).

Imagine, if you will, a current Pats team with the additions of these guys:

WR Chris Godwin, Deebo Samuel, D.K. Metcalf
TE Jonnu Smith
QB Lamar Jackson
RB Marlon Mack
K Harrison Butker

LB Darrius Leonard, Fred Warner
DT Bilal Nichols
DE Maxx Crosby

oh lord, we could have had warner??? and a real answer @pk?
frustrated homer simpson GIF

It’s gets worse if you go back another 3 drafts.

I like the WR thoughts just fine, esp. Godwin, and your LB & K picks are spot on. I'd have taken WR Golladay instead of your TE and taken TE Kittle over Mack with 131. Leonard and Warner would have our D cooking. But, legit question, when was the last time BB drafted a 235 LB? Some of us have wanted him to get a cover/speed LB for years but BB to continues to ignore them favoring S/LB hybrid types. Leonard's weight probably dropped him on many boards. Chris Ballard was right that Leonard would be a player so gotta give him some credit. I'd love him on the Pats about now.

I'm not crazy about Lamar Jackson. Yeah he caught everyone by surprise for a year but he's regressed this year. Honestly, I'm not a fan. I'll keep OT Wynn and take Chubb instead of Michel.

WR Chris Godwin, Kenny Golladay, D.K. Metcalf
TE George Kittle
RB Nick Chubb
K Harrison Butker

LB Darrius Leonard, Fred Warner
DT Bilal Nichols
DE Maxx Crosby

As an aside, for some reason, when given a choice of 2 same-position players who are close in talent from the same college, BB seems to choose the wrong guy.

Last edited:
Love your posting hawg but c'mon every team can do this with every draft, it's a crapshoot and there will be a ton of hindsight picks you can always point to.

All that said the pats have not been very good in the draft for the last few years. I wonder if a lot of that is all the turnover in staff. It's well known that the coaches personally scout players for their positions using the info gathered by scouting. There have been a lot of coaches go out the door in the last few years...

Love your posting hawg but c'mon every team can do this with every draft, it's a crapshoot and there will be a ton of hindsight picks you can always point to.

All that said the pats have not been very good in the draft for the last few years. I wonder if a lot of that is all the turnover in staff. It's well known that the coaches personally scout players for their positions using the info gathered by scouting. There have been a lot of coaches go out the door in the last few years...
So. It’s still just a fun exercise and a concise look at where we COULDVE been.

Anyone that knows my posting knows I’m snarky often. If it offends I’m sorry. Just dont want to converse like it’s an accounting convention. This is PURE GOLD:
“We took Deatrich Wise Jr. at 131 and the nicest thing I can say about him is he's an emotional player who is tall.“

I like the options. Chev adding Kittle is clearly a HR. I thought we had the opportunity to pick James Connor as well. I like that kid. He’d be an option.

Just to clarify, I KNOW that this is unfair, disingenuous and maybe even a shitty thing to do. If I didn't make that plain enough, then let me emphasize that I support Bill Belichick with the stipulation that often I have zero idea what he sees in certain players.

There are many factors that play into drafting. It was simply a way to kill some time. What started this was watching Deatrich Wise Jr. the other day and thinking that he isn't just an injury fill-in. They drafted him, worked with him, increased his reps, elevated him to the starting lineup and he is simply not a good player or a smart player. How long do I have to watch this guy give up the edge or run straight into an OT's chest before somebody decides to pull the plug on him? Trey Flowers isn't coming walking back in that door. Such is the price of NFL success and we've had more than our share for a long time. We lose too many good guys who are now sprinkled all over the league. Miami, Chicago, Detroit and New Orleans all have ex-Pats getting tons of snaps.

I longed for the days when we dominated and was getting tired of guys on other teams making dynamic plays. We're just in a down time and it's hard to get accustomed to.

And, no, I'm not sold on Lamar Jackson but do you think the Ravens regret taking him? Do you think Bill wishes he took Fred Warner instead of Duke Dawson? Was he even on our draft board? He was exactly like Kyle Van Noy (BYU kid, too) only better, but we had KVN then.

Hindsight really is 20/20.

Just to clarify, I KNOW that this is unfair, disingenuous and maybe even a shitty thing to do. If I didn't make that plain enough, then let me emphasize that I support Bill Belichick with the stipulation that often I have zero idea what he sees in certain players.

There are many factors that play into drafting. It was simply a way to kill some time. What started this was watching Deatrich Wise Jr. the other day and thinking that he isn't just an injury fill-in. They drafted him, worked with him, increased his reps, elevated him to the starting lineup and he is simply not a good player or a smart player. How long do I have to watch this guy give up the edge or run straight into an OT's chest before somebody decides to pull the plug on him? Trey Flowers isn't coming walking back in that door. Such is the price of NFL success and we've had more than our share for a long time. We lose too many good guys who are now sprinkled all over the league. Miami, Chicago, Detroit and New Orleans all have ex-Pats getting tons of snaps.

I longed for the days when we dominated and was getting tired of guys on other teams making dynamic plays. We're just in a down time and it's hard to get accustomed to.

And, no, I'm not sold on Lamar Jackson but do you think the Ravens regret taking him? Do you think Bill wishes he took Fred Warner instead of Duke Dawson? Was he even on our draft board? He was exactly like Kyle Van Noy (BYU kid, too) only better, but we had KVN then.

sorry then - i am a little tired of posters shitting on any and all things BB because brady is gone and i simply interpreted your post through that lens. as an exercise in what could have been these are always fun but ultimately its just a :punchballs:

No. The Ravens don't regret Jackson at all. He is a winner and a leader. He also works his tail off and will improve his passing. That offense is lethal.

2017: The first thing would be to NOT trade the 2/64 pick to Carolina for Kony Ealy +72 ... ugh... could have picked up Kamara (taken 2/67 by NOR) ... dynamic pass catching back? Yes please.

edit: Carolina, Not New Orleans

No. The Ravens don't regret Jackson at all. He is a winner and a leader. He also works his tail off and will improve his passing. That offense is lethal.

He's still on his rookie contract so he's cheap at $2.5M/. If teams continue to defend him more and more effectively, will the Ravens pick up his 5th year option at a cost of $26M plus?
It's too early to tell either way but make no mistake, teams have shown he can be defended effectively.

They're ranked 23rd offensively thus far in 2020 by FO. They've had bad losses to the Chiefs, Titans and Pats scoring an avg of 20 pts in each game.
If they're "lethal", what term would you apply to the Patriots' offense which ranks 4 spots better at 19th?

Back