How does Mac Jones compare with other QB's?

Who has the lowest potential of these quarterbacks drafted since 2018?

• Josh Allen

• Justin Herbert

• Joe Burrow

• Lamar Jackson

• Kyler Murray

• Trevor Lawrence

• Mac Jones

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer the OP, favorably.
Honestly, when looking at Allen, and Mahomes tonight, Mac isn't even in the same world as they are. I know it's not really fair to compare him to those two at this point in his career, but we are kidding ourselves if we think he compete with them without a major jump in development.

I’m not going to compare Mac to QB’s that have been in the league 3-4 years longer than he has, I think he had a good rookie season and will improve next year, hopefully the defense does the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, when looking at Allen, and Mahomes tonight, Mac isn't even in the same world as they are. I know it's not really fair to compare him to those two at this point in his career, but we are kidding ourselves if we think he compete with them without a major jump in development.
If, as you claim, it's not really fair, then why are you doing it? Let me guess....

If, as you claim, it's not really fair, then why are you doing it? Let me guess....
The title of the thread is literally, "How does Mac compare to other QB'S?" Are you going to cry because some actually did? How do you think he compares to Mahomes and Allen? Do you have anything constructive to add, or do just want to cry because the reality of the question is too depressing?

why compare a rookie to 3+ year starters?
comparing them as rookies is more fair.
allen was raw, and didn't have a lot of good games, mahomes didn't beat out alex smith for the starting job.
mac, with limited starts as a college qb beat out a veteran, albeit a not good one, and helped his team get into the playoffs.

allen was raw, and didn't have a lot of good games, mahomes didn't beat out alex smith for the starting job.
mac, with limited starts as a college qb beat out a veteran, albeit a not good one, and helped his team get into the playoffs.

Great points, as usual. You manage to be opinionated, but with insight and balance, unlike some
folks who represent themselves as Patriots fans yet don't hesitate to bray like jackasses every time we don't win
the Super Bowl and often when we do.

I don't understand why people choose to be that way, but that's where we're at.

I look forward to the future with the guy we chose to be our QB. That kid is going to shut a lot of people up before long.

As good as Allen and Mahomes looked tonight, I'm not afraid to compete with them and I don't think Mac will be, either.

I think at the very least, because it shows how far they have to go. As great a rookie year Mac had, he's not close to Mahomes or Allen and that's just the truth. Now there's several ways to look at this, on the one hand, Mac's 1st year was world's better than Allen's, so logic would say he should get there quicker than Allen did. On the other hand, if Mac is as limited as some believe, then the prospect is there that we will never be able to compete with these elite QBs. The bottom line is no matter what you believe, you can't have a real conversation about it on this site because the sensitive little boys will call you a troll for even considering that Mac isn't going to be the answer at QB.

Last edited:
I think at the very least, because it shows how far they have to go. As great a rookie year Mac had, he's not close to Mahomes or Allen and that's just the truth. Now there's several ways to look at this, on the one hand, Mac's 1st year was world's better than Allen's, so logic would say he should get there quicker than Allen did. On the other hand, if Mac is as limited as some believe, then the prospect is there that we will never be able to complete with these elite QBs. The bottom line is no matter what you believe, you can't have a real conversation about it on this site because the sensitive little boys will call you a troll for even considering that Mac isn't going to be the answer at QB.
Complete? I don't know what you are planning Homer, but you can count me out.

Great points, as usual. You manage to be opinionated, but with insight and balance, unlike some
folks who represent themselves as Patriots fans yet don't hesitate to bray like jackasses every time we don't win
the Super Bowl and often when we do.

I don't understand why people choose to be that way, but that's where we're at.

I look forward to the future with the guy we chose to be our QB. That kid is going to shut a lot of people up before long.

As good as Allen and Mahomes looked tonight, I'm not afraid to compete with them and I don't think Mac will be, either.
I hope to god you're right, but should it not even be a point of discussion? Are we now Jets fans who claim whatever QB they have is going to be the best ever end of discussion?

True #1 would be nice but hardly necessary, and probably not the best bang for the buck. The Patriots won plenty of superbowls without a true #1, and none with Moss.
They haven't won any super bowls without Tom Brady either. Comparing to what Mac needs to what Tom needed doesn't make much sense to me. I'm not saying he a needs a superstar #1 but he needs someone legit. Even Brady had TBrown, Edelman, and Branch, the Pats have none of those guys right now. And just to say none without Moss is a little disingenuous, they were a dropped INT and miracle catch from going completely undefeated, then Brady was injured the year after with essentially the same team. Not to mention Moss was on the wrong side of 30 when he came here.

Last edited:
They haven't won any super bowls without Tom Brady either. Comparing to what Mac needs to what Tom needed doesn't make much sense to me. I'm not saying he a needs a superstar #1 but he needs someone legit. Even Brady had TBrown, Edelman, and Branch, the Pats have none of those guys right now. And just to say none without Moss is a little disingenuous, they were a dropped INT and miracle catch from going completely undefeated, then Brady was injured the year after with essentially the same team. Not to mention Moss was on the wrong side of 30 when he came here.
I think that there's a couple of factors to consider here. The first is it should be obvious to everyone that we need more "explosive" weapons, although like you I'm not sure we need a traditional top 5 guy. Bourne, Myers, and Henry are a solid group to build an offense around, especially with the RB core we have. Now if we can add an explosive piece even if it's a slot WR or a third down back in the mold of the guys we've had before, and then I think you're going to see the effectiveness this offense take a dramatic step forward. On defense we need to improve from the 24 rushing defense, however we do it, either adding speed to the LB's or another couple big bodies up front, those two things need to happen if we are going to get any better in my opinion.

I hope to god you're right, but should it not even be a point of discussion? Are we now Jets fans who claim whatever QB they have is going to be the best ever end of discussion?

I'm not a Jets fan, no. Not even close.

I've watched, listened and read just about everything I could about Mac Jones since about 3/4ths the way through his last season at Alabama. I've heard many
criticisms leveled at him and think the worst of it is a total crock and the more valid ones among them exaggerated. He has some impressive strengths and traits
that suggest strongly to me that the weaker parts of his game can most definitely be improved with experience and physical maturity. Anybody that doubts
his desire to excel hasn't been paying attention.

I find his critics to mostly be in two camps. The first group thinks that running QBs are the wave of the future and the guys that primarily play from the pocket are
dinosaurs watching a fast-approaching asteroid. They also tend to be dazzled by long bombs that pile up the fantasy points and bright, shiny objects and that's about
the extent of it. Most of these folks never look up from their phones unless they need to ask somebody what the WIFI password is.

The second group tends to be local and worships a guy that is no longer here. Let's call them the Tommites. The Tommites know that Brady never made a mistake
that could be blamed on somebody else and is a God among mortals. The passion play that is his banishment from Foxboro by the evil, jealous Belichick must
never be forgotten and it's tragic recounting is a mantra whose repetition makes them feel even closer to their personal football Savior and his 190 dollar ceramide pajamas.

Now, Mac Jones walks in the door, because somebody has to play QB for this team, and they turn their anger on him, because he is just a flawed puny human with goofy ears
and a noodle arm. How dare anybody give false praise to this boy? There is only one true King and he now rules in Tampa. If you notice that Mac learns
at a genius level then it is blasphemy. I you notice that he runs one hell of a lot better than Brady ever did then you are a heretic. If you suggest that a rookie season
that puts him in the middle of the NFL pack (better, actually) suggests that he's got a bright future then you're a Belichick-loving unbeliever who hates Tom.

After a while, I started to get the picture. Those people prefer living in the past. I really don't hate Brady, but I hate the Tommites and I like to remind them how stupid the whole thing is.

Friends don't let friends be Tommites. I want to help all of us move on and so I remind them of an alternate viewpoint as often as I can, but I don't have to even slightly
bend the truth to believe that better days are coming with Mac Jones. It should be plain to see.

Does that answer your question?

Last edited:
I think that there's a couple of factors to consider here. The first is it should be obvious to everyone that we need more "explosive" weapons, although like you I'm not sure we need a traditional top 5 guy. Bourne, Myers, and Henry are a solid group to build an offense around, especially with the RB core we have. Now if we can add an explosive piece even if it's a slot WR or a third down back in the mold of the guys we've had before, and then I think you're going to see the effectiveness this offense take a dramatic step forward. On defense we need to improve from the 24 rushing defense, however we do it, either adding speed to the LB's or another couple big bodies up front, those two things need to happen if we are going to get any better in my opinion.
The defense needs to be rebuilt both LBs and DBs. If Bill let's Jackson walk then the rebuild is a couple of years out, maybe 3. Most critical is hitting on this year's draft like last year. Forget the top WR, I expect first 3 picks to be all defense. Have to start there.

I'm not a Jets fan, no. Not even close.

I've watched, listened and read just about everything I could about Mac Jones since about 3/4ths the way through his last season at Alabama. I've heard many
criticisms leveled at him and think the worst of it is a total crock and the more valid ones among them exaggerated. He has some impressive strengths and traits
that suggest strongly to me that the weaker parts of his game can most definitely be improved with experience and physical maturity. Anybody that doubts
his desire to excel hasn't been paying attention.

I find his critics to mostly be in two camps. The first group thinks that running QBs are the wave of the future and the guys that primarily play from the pocket are
dinosaurs watching a fast-approaching asteroid. They also tend to be dazzled by long bombs that pile up the fantasy points and bright, shiny objects and that's about
the extent of it. Most of these folks never look up from their phones unless they need to ask somebody what the WIFI password is.

The second group tends to be local and worships a guy that is no longer here. Let's call them the Tommites. The Tommites know that Brady never made a mistake
that could be blamed on somebody else and is a God among mortals. The passion play that is his banishment from Foxboro by the evil, jealous Belichick must
never be forgotten and it's tragic recounting is a mantra whose repetition makes them feel even closer to their personal football Savior and his 190 dollar ceramide pajamas.

Now, Mac Jones walks in the door, because somebody has to play QB for this team, and they turn their anger on him, because he is just a flawed puny human with goofy ears
and a noodle arm. How dare anybody give false praise to this boy? There is only one true King and he now rules in Tampa. If you notice that Mac learns
at a genius level then it is blasphemy. I you notice that he runs one hell of a lot better than Brady ever did then you are a heretic. If you suggest that a rookie season
that puts him in the middle of the NFL pack (better, actually) suggests that he's got a bright future then you're a Belichick-loving unbeliever who hates Tom.

After a while, I started to get the picture. They people prefer living in the past. I really don't hate Brady, but I hate the Tommites and I like to remind them how stupid the whole thing is.

Friends don't let friends be Tommites. I want to help all of us move on and so I remind them of an alternate viewpoint as often as I can, but I don't have to even slightly
bend the truth to believe that better days are coming with Mac Jones. It should be plain to see.

Does that answer your question?
I really don't disagree with anything you say here, while I won't include myself with the, "Tommites" as you call them, I however didn't agree with Bill moving on from Tom when he did. That said it's done and over, but from my stand point Bill now has to be accountable for the decision to re-build and the state of that rebuild. Unlike you I don't think it's plain to see that better days ahead, there are more questions to be answered about Mac Jones as a starting NFL QB, and the team in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back