How To Stop The Ravens?

Big/Sky/Fly

370hssv vw6!s tu36v
Reaction score
This guy's POV sounds legit:

https://www.patsfans.com/new-englan...w-can-the-pats-stop-the-ravens.1150636/page-4

----

When are the people with the full 20-20 hindsight going to realize that HAD Jackson been chosen in the 2018 draft, he STILL would be sitting behind Tom Brady and no one would have heard of him except to laud him for the great job he'd been doing running the scout team.

Get over it. This sh!t is worse that the JG garbage I've had to endure on these pages. Timing is everything so I guess we'll have to learn to live with the QB we got. :rolleyes:

Now children just listen while Grandpa Ken schools you on some football history tonight.

What you are seeing from the Ravens isn't anything new at all. In fact it is very VERY old. The Ravens offense is just a rehashed version of the old single wing offense that was all the rage in the 20's, 30's, and 4o's, and didn't become dated until the early 50's when the wing-T formation. Back when I coached, there was still ONE team in the area that ran the wing T into the late 70's. North Quincy HS still ran it, and it was a tough thing to stop since you only saw it once a year. And as the DC it was my job to stop it.

I wish it was 20 years ago when I still had boxes of my old game plans. I remember I had a great one for that week that worked beautifully, but that just about all I got. Here's what I DO remember about the single wing.

a. In its base form you'd have 3 backs in the backfield, 2 TE's. With a direct snap to a QB who was both the primary runner and passer. With all kinds of backfield movement and counter off it, you generally could create numbers advantages to one side or another. You could also run options off of it, and almost EVERY pass comes off a play action pass. The Ravens do the same thing only using a TE and RB, and sometimes 2 TE to go along with Jackson in the backfield.

b. I recall that we determined that looking into the backfield was a fools errand, though reading the line proved to be a solid key. So that would be my first thing. Break down what they are doing and come up with some line keys that give the LB's their first direction.

c. Some of this is coming back. IIRC when they were in a run situation, which was most of the time, we lined up in a 6-2. For the Pats it would come out as a 4 DL and 2 ILB's with 2 OLB's on the LOS with 3 DB's. With the secondary guys we have vs the receivers they have we can play something like this effectively, especially if they use the 2 TE's in the backfield like they did when they played us. I don't see us playing a 3-4 front.

d. WIN the LOS. It's actually coming back now. I had my 6 down linemen play head on the G, T, and TE's. I had my the guys on the OT's play off the LOS a yard, like the Cowboys of the 70's did with their DL. Then based on the keys, formations and motions the LB's would call out prearranged gap numbers and the DLmen would twist or hit gaps and really screwed up their blocking schemes. Hard to explain in words.

At any rate it worked far better than I had a right to expect. It was a one week fix. We ran a pretty standard 5-2 Oakie which is what they called the 3-4 back then every other game. In those days the 5-2 and the Penn State 4-4 were what most H.S's ran. AND now I'm rambling. Sorry

Here's the thing. Bill knows what this is. I know Jackson threw for 5 TD, but he STILL threw for only about 160 yds in total. So this is ALL about stopping the run, and stopping it from a SINGLE WING offense.

Give Baltimore credit for creating the perfect offense for the talent they have on hand. But this is working BECAUSE it is new, just like Bears' 4-6 terrorized NFL teams for 2 years, and Walsh his West Coast offense for a while. Remember the run and shoot. Well you probably don't but it killed for a nanosecond as well. There was even a moment in time when the triple option was used and was effective.

I bet Bill has guys researching old archives for the kind of single wing offenses that MOST resemble what the Ravens are doing and WHAT defensive concepts were most effective in stopping them.

We saw what this defense did to the top offense in the NFL last Sunday. I don't care if the Ravens beat the rest of their schedule 50-0, I trust that Bill will have them ready to play a special game against them.

I won't mind if the Ravens have their hour in the sun. Let the media crown their asses in December, JUST like they did KC last season. I LIKE being the underdog for a change, and I'm sure Bill will let his team know how much everyone wants them out of contention every week from now on.

Its amazing how the media jumps from one guy to the next almost yearly. lol. The thing I hate and they always say it. I bet 31 teams are mad they passed on him shit. So Seattle should have dumped Wilson and took Jackson? KC should have dumped Mahomes and took Jackson? There are teams with young QB's that are playing great and have other needs in other area's. Its just a stupid comment.

It feels like the Ravens are peaking early...I could be wrong, but, it feels like it imo.

I dont know. I remember seeing teams in years thinking, my God how are we going to beat that. Hell last year. lol. Its hard not to take a week by week approach to the NFL, but you almost have to. Seen too many times the unstoppable team lose. I watched it in 2007...ick.

It feels like the Ravens are peaking early...I could be wrong, but, it feels like it imo.

plus you have to wonder can a QB like Jackson last the distance at his current level. He takes risks and in the dog winter days in the postseason, it's a different ball of wax. He's not playing with preservation in mind, a running QB like that is a big risk for any team imho.

plus you have to wonder can a QB like Jackson last the distance at his current level. He takes risks and in the dog winter days in the postseason, it's a different ball of wax. He's not playing with preservation in mind, a running QB like that is a big risk for any team imho.

He could last this year, hell it might last 3 years, who knows, but the thing they say is do you ever see a 35 year old running QB. The style will have to change. Its just not sustainable for the long haul, but that might be ok to the ravens.

Lamar is only a running qb so far as he runs the ball on designed plays. And they are spectacular. He is mostly a passer when outside the pocket and in it.

The key is to hit him hard early and often. Different position but it seems to me that is key same as with Marshall Faulk in 01.

The only problems I see with this are 1. He is very elusive and 2. I've seen him get hit hard and snap right back for a big play.

Very interesting cat this guy is.

Lamar is only a running qb so far as he runs the ball on designed plays. And they are spectacular. He is mostly a passer when outside the pocket and in it.

The key is to hit him hard early and often. Different position but it seems to me that is key same as with Marshall Faulk in 01.

The only problems I see with this are 1. He is very elusive and 2. I've seen him get hit hard and snap right back for a big play.

He is like 23 years old, of course he snaps right back up, but hits take a toll on everyone.

Honestly in the rematch the Pats score 2 TDs and the Ravens struggle while the Pats do this then I want to see the kid attempt a comeback. Mahomes as trash I think he is managed to do it twice but as far as the great Lame Jackson. He couldn’t win a shootout and couldn’t make a comeback against the Browns when they made a run and while the media and everyone wants to say about the Ravens game. He started to crumble until the pick 6 off the Edelman fumble. So while people talk about how great he is (instead of this place of course), I think the quote goes, “they are who we thought they are” and that’s gonna be exposed come playoff time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't remember seeing a good solid hit LJackson has taken. :shrug_n:

I thought maybe last night Donald might have a chance but he was double teamed the entire game (again).

And 3, no way the refs allow you to treat Lamar anything close to how we treated Faulk

I can't remember seeing a good solid hit LJackson has taken. :shrug_n:

I thought maybe last night Donald might have a chance but he was double teamed the entire game (again).

I believe Jackson took a few decent hits in both Ravens Chiefs and Brown loss games especially with his planned run plays. Jackson is now 23 but like every other running QB, he will eventually get his and be out for some injury time.

I too was looking for the Rams D to lay some hits on him but saw traditional tackles. Maybe this weekend the 49ers D, which has multiple DL, LB, and CB pass rushers, will get at him. That will be the NFL game of this week and potential SB preview.

Pats, Saints, and 49er could all punch their early playoff tickets this weekend with Ws and Ravens are only one playing at home, too. GO PATS !

Well, you can't stop the Ravens. They are the 2019 version of the 2018 Chiefs, only different.

How To Stop The Ravens?

So far above my pay grade ...

This guy's POV sounds legit:

https://www.patsfans.com/new-englan...w-can-the-pats-stop-the-ravens.1150636/page-4

----

When are the people with the full 20-20 hindsight going to realize that HAD Jackson been chosen in the 2018 draft, he STILL would be sitting behind Tom Brady and no one would have heard of him except to laud him for the great job he'd been doing running the scout team.

Get over it. This sh!t is worse that the JG garbage I've had to endure on these pages. Timing is everything so I guess we'll have to learn to live with the QB we got. :rolleyes:

Now children just listen while Grandpa Ken schools you on some football history tonight.

I don't know who is on PatsFans these days, but I'm pretty sure that is a guy that used to post as PatsFanKen, and, if that is correct, that guy has always been a great poster and a fine football mind. He is also pretty damn funny and laid back.

I'm not much on the X's and O's, but I've had similar thoughts about the Ravens without being able to detail it the way he did so brilliantly. The main problem as I see it is having enough big folks on the line to stalemate the beasts they have like Zeus Jr. and Yancy from rolling people backwards.

With the emphasis on passing these days everybody is looking for pass rushers and the behemoths of yore have been replaced with 265lb. DEs who are ill-suited to "root, hog or die".

Now, Shelton and Guy are perfect for what we need, but I'm not sure they are enough. We've got good size at LB, but none of our DEs have any size whatsoever. The rookie Cowart is the closest we have and he doesn't appear ready for prime time anytime soon. You might say Wise has size, but I don't like him much.

I dunno, but I'm sure Bill will have something from the Dayton Triangles 1937 playbook to at least try.

It seems like all the emphasis on defensive backs has us ready to play anybody but them (at least not very well) and we'll have to roll the clock back and see what happens should we face them down the road.

If we see the Pats bring in a run-stuffer two gap DL type over the next couple of months it could be an indication that something is up.

Back