How To Stop The Ravens?

I believe Jackson took a few decent hits in both Ravens Chiefs and Brown loss games especially with his planned run plays. Jackson is now 23 but like every other running QB, he will eventually get his and be out for some injury time.

I too was looking for the Rams D to lay some hits on him but saw traditional tackles. Maybe this weekend the 49ers D, which has multiple DL, LB, and CB pass rushers, will get at him. That will be the NFL game of this week and potential SB preview.

Pats, Saints, and 49er could all punch their early playoff tickets this weekend with Ws and Ravens are only one playing at home, too. GO PATS !

Their entire offense is predicated on Jackson's extraordinary athleticism making that scheme go but they are one high-ankle sprain away from being non-dynamic

It's worked out extremely well so far and Jackson has added some muscle since he was in college and possesses the knack for slipping direct hits, but all it takes is a one or a few brutal hits and they might have some real trouble, because if he can't fly then everything changes.

Hats off to their brain trust for having the vision to build an outlier offense that is currently unstoppable, but unstoppable offenses eventually get stopped.

All of them. The question is when.

Cracks?

The just lost OL Schlereth(sp), 2nd at his position for Pro Bowl voting.

That’s a loss.

You mean their Center Skura? Yeah that's a tough one but their backup Patrick Mekari played well, primarily against Donald. He has a pretty interesting story, undrafted rookie who came out of no where to win a roster spot, just like David Andrews did.

I don't know who is on PatsFans these days, but I'm pretty sure that is a guy that used to post as PatsFanKen, and, if that is correct, that guy has always been a great poster and a fine football mind. He is also pretty damn funny and laid back.

I'm not much on the X's and O's, but I've had similar thoughts about the Ravens without being able to detail it the way he did so brilliantly. The main problem as I see it is having enough big folks on the line to stalemate the beasts they have like Zeus Jr. and Yancy from rolling people backwards.

With the emphasis on passing these days everybody is looking for pass rushers and the behemoths of yore have been replaced with 265lb. DEs who are ill-suited to "root, hog or die".

Now, Shelton and Guy are perfect for what we need, but I'm not sure they are enough. We've got good size at LB, but none of our DEs have any size whatsoever. The rookie Cowart is the closest we have and he doesn't appear ready for prime time anytime soon. You might say Wise has size, but I don't like him much.

I dunno, but I'm sure Bill will have something from the Dayton Triangles 1937 playbook to at least try.

It seems like all the emphasis on defensive backs has us ready to play anybody but them (at least not very well) and we'll have to roll the clock back and see what happens should we face them down the road.

If we see the Pats bring in a run-stuffer two gap DL type over the next couple of months it could be an indication that something is up.

It is PatsFanKen. The post is excellent.

Vince Valentine is out there.

And I wanted a flyer on PJ Johnson. 6’4” 335 DT out of Arizona. Detroit grabbed him in the 7th, but he’s FA now. Get him on the PS.

I don't know who is on PatsFans these days, but I'm pretty sure that is a guy that used to post as PatsFanKen, and, if that is correct, that guy has always been a great poster and a fine football mind. He is also pretty damn funny and laid back.

I'm not much on the X's and O's, but I've had similar thoughts about the Ravens without being able to detail it the way he did so brilliantly. The main problem as I see it is having enough big folks on the line to stalemate the beasts they have like Zeus Jr. and Yancy from rolling people backwards.

With the emphasis on passing these days everybody is looking for pass rushers and the behemoths of yore have been replaced with 265lb. DEs who are ill-suited to "root, hog or die".

Now, Shelton and Guy are perfect for what we need, but I'm not sure they are enough. We've got good size at LB, but none of our DEs have any size whatsoever. The rookie Cowart is the closest we have and he doesn't appear ready for prime time anytime soon. You might say Wise has size, but I don't like him much.

I dunno, but I'm sure Bill will have something from the Dayton Triangles 1937 playbook to at least try.

It seems like all the emphasis on defensive backs has us ready to play anybody but them (at least not very well) and we'll have to roll the clock back and see what happens should we face them down the road.

If we see the Pats bring in a run-stuffer two gap DL type over the next couple of months it could be an indication that something is up.

Yup, that's the guy. :clap:

I seem to recall all the chatter about the Rams and their insanely good offense last year. And we all know how that ended. And even more so, we know what the Rams are now.

This Ravens team is the Rams.

Another thought on Jackson, he's in this class of running QB's like Watson and Mahomes and RGIII, and every one of them is the next coming of Christ until they get popped or blow an ACL. Sooner or later Lamar will join that club. I hate to see exciting players get hurt but it's football and it's going to happen.

I am damned sure also that the Ravens aren't going to get BB twice in a season.

You mean their Center Skura? Yeah that's a tough one but their backup Patrick Mekari played well, primarily against Donald. He has a pretty interesting story, undrafted rookie who came out of no where to win a roster spot, just like David Andrews did.

It was more like him and 2 other guys stopping Donald. I watch some of the game, and the rams just looked out of position even on drop back passes. Another thing I noticed is Jackson has all day in the pocket. Im so used to seeing a 1 inch square around the QB, but he just stands there and looks. I am not sure if the rams thought it was a good idea to drop everyone back but it didn't work.

It was more like him and 2 other guys stopping Donald. I watch some of the game, and the rams just looked out of position even on drop back passes. Another thing I noticed is Jackson has all day in the pocket. Im so used to seeing a 1 inch square around the QB, but he just stands there and looks. I am not sure if the rams thought it was a good idea to drop everyone back but it didn't work.

Seemed like Rams wanted to keep him the pocket & contain him. You’re right. Whatever the plan was didn’t work. At all.

Seemed like Rams wanted to keep him the pocket & contain him. You’re right. Whatever the plan was didn’t work. At all.

That's not really the key, because its not as though he drops back and then runs a lot. Most of the time its set run plays for him on the RPO. Their oline is so damn good, and the other backs are special too, so that makes it hard as well. Receivers are just running free. The steelers of all teams made him look awful this year, chargers did last year, Browns did to a degree. Its not unheard of, those teams are not defensive gods. Everyone points to the niners, but that is the niners weakness, they are 20th against the run this year. He is not a drop back kind of Qb that they can exploit, they run weird plays to pass as well.

I seem to recall all the chatter about the Rams and their insanely good offense last year. And we all know how that ended. And even more so, we know what the Rams are now.

This Ravens team is the Rams.

Another thought on Jackson, he's in this class of running QB's like Watson and Mahomes and RGIII, and every one of them is the next coming of Christ until they get popped or blow an ACL. Sooner or later Lamar will join that club. I hate to see exciting players get hurt but it's football and it's going to happen.

I am damned sure also that the Ravens aren't going to get BB twice in a season.

Not similar at all.

You want to try and scheme toe to toe with the Pats like the Rams do with the clock? That’s a brains thing and I’ll take BB all day every day. He solved that puzzle and they could never recover.

Ravens are different. It’s players. We were overmatched on both lines all game. Now it’s not Thanksgiving yet, so teams could be different in another 2 months. And it’s possible a simple change of defensive tact could solve the issue. But they are clicking right now.

Well they just lost their center who was playing pretty well for the year. He’s on IR now. Their next guy up was an undrafted free agent, so I’m guessing it gonna be a big downgrade. Little stuff like that adds up. The media does report it, but we’ve seen it with NE this season.

Jackson is good. But he’s one big hit away from not having that speed anymore. One day he’s gonna do that spin move and a guy will be right there to take him out. I’m not worried in the least about them in the playoffs. They broke out a lot of new stuff for the NE game. Even then BB made some good adjustments and the def looked pretty good after the first quarter. Now with the second half of season tape on them BB will be fine. Jackson is not the passer the media is saying he is. He’s flashed this season but he will never have the long term success of say Russle Wilson as they are being compared a lot this season.
I’m glad NE did not draft him.

Well they just lost their center who was playing pretty well for the year. He’s on IR now. Their next guy up was an undrafted free agent, so I’m guessing it gonna be a big downgrade. Little stuff like that adds up. The media does report it, but we’ve seen it with NE this season.

Jackson is good. But he’s one big hit away from not having that speed anymore. One day he’s gonna do that spin move and a guy will be right there to take him out. I’m not worried in the least about them in the playoffs. They broke out a lot of new stuff for the NE game. Even then BB made some good adjustments and the def looked pretty good after the first quarter. Now with the second half of season tape on them BB will be fine. Jackson is not the passer the media is saying he is. He’s flashed this season but he will never have the long term success of say Russle Wilson as they are being compared a lot this season.
I’m glad NE did not draft him.

My opinion differs. I don't like the '1 hit and he's out' take. That's what we keep hearing about Brady which rubs me wrong. As for being a passer? Jackson has proven many pundits wrong this year. His stats speak for him.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackLa00.htm
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb/2019

Lamar Jackson ranks in the top 3 or 4 passing QBs this year no matter how you look at it. Add in his running and he's top 1 or 2. This is reality.

While I agree a pure running QB is a ticking time bomb and eventually it blows up, until it does they are a legitimate threat.

My opinion differs. I don't like the '1 hit and he's out' take. That's what we keep hearing about Brady which rubs me wrong. As for being a passer? Jackson has proven many pundits wrong this year. His stats speak for him.

Lamar Jackson ranks in the top 3 or 4 passing QBs this year no matter how you look at it. Add in his running and he's top 1 or 2. This is reality.

By one big hit, I don’t mean injuring him. I mean that you take a few big ones and it makes you think about the chances you’re taking. He’s running with reckless abandon right now. It will not continue. He’s added muscle but he’s not the power runner cam was in his younger days. It even caught up to Cam.
I can’t argue with those stats. They are good. I do believe though that when teams aren’t scared to death of the run things will change. You put him in third and long and make him go through his progressions, and he’s gonna become average pretty quick.
And not only that, but I don’t think he has half the brains of some of these other young QBs he gets compared too. Say Mahomes, or Wilson. Yeah the guy is having an MVP year. He’s really really good. But if the Pats see the ravens at Foxbourgh in January I trust BB to have something for him on defense, and I don’t think they are gonna know what hit them.
Maybe some people say one big hit and Brady’s out, but it’s different. Brady’s game is predicated on avoiding that big hit. He got his chance in the league due to a big hit, and he may be the best in the league at avoiding them. Jackson will risk it every time he gets past the line of scrimmage to get a few extra yards. It’s not a matter of if, but when with Jackson.

my thought is One Hit is going to hurt to the point he is questioning taking the next one and that is when injuries happen.

no one wants him injured but I want him thinking about being hit.

and I do not think he is that great a passer, yet - he may develop into one.

Completing the pass is easy when you have 8 men in the box.

I have Jonathon Jones spy on Jackson and go from there - Jones took the Hill task last postseason and did well.

The Ravens are by far the best team in football and beating them would be huge upset for the Patriots. Getting them at home would be ideal, but I don't see the Patriots keeping up the pace and I don't see Baltimore losing again this season. I guess "any given Sunday" but in perfect world, KC upsets them in the divisional round and the Pats feast on the overrated Chiefs.

The Ravens are by far the best team in football and beating them would be huge upset for the Patriots. Getting them at home would be ideal, but I don't see the Patriots keeping up the pace and I don't see Baltimore losing again this season. I guess "any given Sunday" but in perfect world, KC upsets them in the divisional round and the Pats feast on the overrated Chiefs.

I literally heard the same about the Chiefs last year. No way the pats can keep up with them, etc etc etc. The Pats winning a playoff game has not been a huge upset in about 20 years. I am not sure how many times this team has to prove people wrong before they get it.

I literally heard the same about the Chiefs last year. No way the pats can keep up with them, etc etc etc. The Pats winning a playoff game has not been a huge upset in about 20 years. I am not sure how many times this team has to prove people wrong before they get it.

Yeah, except the Ravens don't have Andy Reid bumbling at the controls. Harbaugh is (arguably) the best coach in football and right up their with Belichick.

The Ravens vs. Patriots right now is men vs. boys. Unless something changes (a Lamar injury), I don't see them losing again until next fall.

EasyBigFella;2622884Harbaugh is (arguably) the best coach in football and right up their with Belichick. [/QUOTE said:
So, he's been reading his rulebook? :coffee:

Cheers

Back