Hoyuh or Zap/E?

Like what?? I'm in Canada this week with crappy internet where I am. Did n't see the game or any clips.
In what ways is he limited? Well, his view, for one, since he's maybe 6'1...and that looks like it mattered in this game, on the 3rd down play in overtime where it looks like he didn't see his receiver come open initially because of sightlines, causing him to bail out of the pocket. His arm strength is okay, but below average. His accuracy is solid, but without the experience and processing speed his effective decision making becomes a problem. Imagine Drew Brees with a weaker arm, slightly less accuracy, slower processing, zero experience, at even a major college level, no experience under center or with a pro-style offense, and a tendency to panic and bail out.

Almost all of which is addressable in the longer term. But for any given game, Hoyer probably gives the team a better chance of winning. If Zappe has Hoyer's career, that is a good outcome for him. It's not quite his ceiling, but it's a good outcome.

That said, outside of the result of an individual game playing Hoyer gets us nothing. Playing Zappe gets Zappe on tape. If it's good, it makes him a valuable chip to other teams. If it's bad, we learn more about whether it makes any sense to use a roster spot on him going forward, and save that opportunity cost.

They can use the entire playbook with Hoyer since he's been there for so long and knows it well, not to mention Zappe doesn't have the benefit of having a real OC to help him along. That's not a slight at Zappe, it wouldn't be reasonable to think he or anybody in his position would have the playbook down at this point. Plus, and not that Hoyer is a big guy, but Zappe looks so little out there. Listed at 6'1" but I think they might be rounding up a couple of inches. I'd still rather see Zappe out there than Hoyer, even if Hoyer does well you know if it's close Hoyer is probably going to do something stupid to cost them the game. Zappe might too, but at least you can blame it on him being a rook and it won't be as demoralizing to the team.

He has been in the system since summer. He should have the entire playbook by now or there is a different issue that would be concerning.

He has been in the system since summer. He should have the entire playbook by now or there is a different issue that would be concerning.
Absorbed the playbook mentally? Sure. But he's gotten no reps with it. He's been running the scout team, and Hoyer would have been getting as many reps as possible the week leading up to GB to get him ready.

Absorbed the playbook mentally? Sure. But he's gotten no reps with it. He's been running the scout team, and Hoyer would have been getting as many reps as possible the week leading up to GB to get him ready.

He has had the playbook for months and first team reps this week.

And if he falters? We got GRAPES!

I had a broken Axle once. Took a lot less than 4 weeks to fix. :coffee:

Like I said, Hoyer needs to be cut and hired as an assistant coach. He's a waste of a jersey.
I doubt they’re going to eat the 2 to 3,000,000 against the cap by cutting him and he is better than Gilbert Grape.

Let the Garrett Gilbert era begin!!!!!!!

What can you say about a new guy who finished his College days in 2013 and has played in a grand total
of 8 pro games since. His career record is 0-2.

Maybe he's been down so long that down is starting to look like up.

In all seriousness, I'm on Team Zappe to see if he can play better this week. There is no alternative, so
I'm going to take a mildly optimistic view and could suggest that the enviorment will be far friendlier,
the game plan is designed for him, we might keep Wynn on the bench because of him and, most
importantly, the Lions D is not nearly as tough as Green Bay's.

Maybe he'll be better off knowing he's starting and maybe he won't, but he will certainly have some
things in his favor. I have to believe there is something unique in that kid to throw 62 TDs in one season----even
if it isn't readily apparent just yet. It'd be nice to see him do well, to show us all a little bit of what
that special thing might be.

Time to change this thread title to Zappe or Mac?

Seriously doubt Zappe takes any starts from Mac but I'm definitely impressed. He's very decisive and calm, which is rare in a rookie. Never hurts to have 2 quality young QBs to develop.
I would add very accurate to that too. I mean a lot of those passes were to wide open WRs but he hit them perfectly in stride, a couple of them when he was on the run too. The ones that actually had tight coverage he put in a good spot. His one INT was one of his best passes too ironically.

No one really seen Brady take over for Bledsoe...especially after Bledsoe got his hundred million dollar deal.

Anything is possible...

No one really seen Brady take over for Bledsoe...especially after Bledsoe got his hundred million dollar deal.

Anything is possible...
Exactly. Bill is the coach. Anything is possible.

Back