Human Rights for ROBOTS...

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score
This also belongs in the WTF thread...

https://www.rt.com/viral/373450-robot-kill-switches-status/

A European Parliament committee has voted in favor of a draft report that proposes granting legal status to robots, categorizing them as “electronic persons”.

The draft report, approved by 17 votes to two and two abstentions by the European Parliament Committee on Legal Affairs, proposes that “The most sophisticated autonomous robots could be established as having the status of electronic persons with specific rights and obligations, including that of making good any damage they may cause.”

anderson

Awfully Cavalier
Reaction score
1430817839729787279.jpg

johnlocke

Reaction score
I wrote a story about this. What defines us as human is our rational mind as opposed to animals. If AI gains self awareness and a rational mind they should have the same rights.

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
Oh Btw, watched one of the Robbie the Robot flicks the other night. Definitely an electronic person imo.

Cheers

Jaric

Vae victis
Reaction score
I wrote a story about this. What defines us as human is our rational mind as opposed to animals. If AI gains self awareness and a rational mind they should have the same rights.

It's an interesting and likely very necessary conversation we're going to have to have in the near future.

Jaric

Vae victis
Reaction score
By the way John, I don't know if you're familiar with Sam Harris or his podcast, but the future of AI has been a reoccurring topic recently. I know he also talked about it quite extensively on his most recent Joe Rogan podcast as well. All are worth a listen if it's a topic that interests you.

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
By the way John, I don't know if you're familiar with Sam Harris or his podcast, but the future of AI has been a reoccurring topic recently. I know he also talked about it quite extensively on his most recent Joe Rogan podcast as well. All are worth a listen if it's a topic that interests you.

There has actually been some progress on AI recently mainly because of networking rather than trying to cram everything into one machine.

The future won't be the Jetsons with robots running around the house, it will be the appliances in your home.

Jaric

Vae victis
Reaction score
There has actually been some progress on AI recently mainly because of networking rather than trying to cram everything into one machine.

The future won't be the Jetsons with robots running around the house, it will be the appliances in your home.
The challenge with AI is that were very likely going to eventually create something more intelligent than we are in every regard with significantly better hardware.

We've already seen glimpses of that. The best chess player in the world for example is a machine. Of course a five year old would destroy that machine in tic tic toe because all it can do is play chess, but the day is coming when we create a general intelligence that is superior to ours in every way.

That's when shit gets really interesting.

OP
Big/Sky/Fly

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score
The challenge with AI is that were very likely going to eventually create something more intelligent than we are in every regard with significantly better hardware.

We've already seen glimpses of that. The best chess player in the world for example is a machine. Of course a five year old would destroy that machine in tic tic toe because all it can do is play chess, but the day is coming when we create a general intelligence that is superior to ours in every way.

That was the whole point of the thread...:clap:

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
It's an interesting and likely very necessary conversation we're going to have to have in the near future.

AFAIC, they're going to need some kind of emancipation proclamation. :facepalm:

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score

Oh, I know that about the chess...kind of old news.

I'm talking about computers that can browse and read the internet, and can operate and network through a cloud system, so they have borad based access to virtually anything on the internet, and can network with it, and with each other...sort of a hive mind.

In fact, the military is beginning to put some rudimentary machines into service this year based on the hive mind concept. Very simple and rudimentary machines, but you combine that networking with something Like Watson's ability to read Wikipedia, and you have an amazing intelligence.

Doesn't concern me too much, so long as we can pull the plug on them, and they don't have mobility and the ability to physcially manipulate things.

However, this leads to the concern about whether it is humane to keep an artificial intelligence in a box and immobile, or is that torture, or can an intelligent machine even maintain sanity stuck in a virtual prison without any kind of physical independance?

In fact, these are angles I pursue in the novel I am working on. One of the plot lines.