Hurricane Ian - Category 4 With 155MPH Wind

Being in daily touch with a local, the situation is very grim, and even the basic necessities are lacking for most of the area now. No power, no water, no fuel, no grocery stores, no nothing. Until and unless those basics return, I would not think of visiting. And even then, the beaches and marinas are all ruined.

I too was planning to visit my son a month from now. ( Cape Coral / Fort Myers) it's possible but unlikely that we will go.
Yeah, you're right. Since I replied to Hawg I did a little digging and it's not very good in Venice right now.

I guess the trailer parks are a complete mess, but that's all I've been able to find out. We've got a connection to some locals so I expect
to have a better idea within a few days. Maybe it'll be fine and they could use the tourist cash we'll spend but OTOH maybe the infrastructure of the entire region
is so stressed that we should just stay the hell out of everybody's way.
As I just posted in reply to patswin, it doesn't look great in the Venice area right now.

As I just posted in reply to patswin, it doesn't look great in the Venice area right now.

Yep. Well, thanks for the info. I might inform Wifey that it's time to pull the plug. She doesn't always have a great handle on reality and thinks the
world is supposed to conform to her wishes, but there's really no point in waiting, imo.

As I mentioned in a different thread, we have a house rented two blocks off of Vanderbilt Beach in North Naples for the end of January. How bad is the damage? I am 99% sure that that house will not be available nor will the beach be inhabitable 4months from now. Hopefully it changes. I’m not willing to text VRBO owner at this point for fear of sounding selfish in their time of need. I’m gonna wait a few weeks and see if we hear from him. Everyone needs to put politics aside and take care of Florida right now.

So we got 50 to 65 mph winds and about 5 to 6 inches of rain. Down in Saint Augustine which is about 20 minutes from me they got flooded pretty good. And about an hour away from me at Daytona Beach they got 15 inches of rain. My daughter up at North Myrtle Beach lives two blocks from the ocean and they got a direct hit from the hurricane this morning. Cherry Grove pier got taken out Pawleys Island pier gone and a couple in Myrtle Beach got destroyed also. My daughter said all the dunes are completely wiped right out. I did a video conference with her around 12 o’clock and I could see the waves and they were massive. She was freaking out even though the surge was over with. She said she’s never seen waves that big in her life. I told her just think if that was a category three or four like those poor people in southern Florida. You will not be standing where you’re at now. Your home would be completely destroyed.

So we got 50 to 65 mph winds and about 5 to 6 inches of rain. Down in Saint Augustine which is about 20 minutes from me they got flooded pretty good. And about an hour away from me at Daytona Beach they got 15 inches of rain. My daughter up at North Myrtle Beach lives two blocks from the ocean and they got a direct hit from the hurricane this morning. Cherry Grove pier got taken out Pawleys Island pier gone and a couple in Myrtle Beach got destroyed also. My daughter said all the dunes are completely wiped right out. I did a video conference with her around 12 o’clock and I could see the waves and they were massive. She was freaking out even though the surge was over with. She said she’s never seen waves that big in her life. I told her just think if that was a category three or four like those poor people in southern Florida. You will not be standing where you’re at now. Your home would be completely destroyed.

You're still in my thoughts as well as all our Florida residents!! Take care everyone.

~Dee~

As I mentioned in a different thread, we have a house rented two blocks off of Vanderbilt Beach in North Naples for the end of January. How bad is the damage? I am 99% sure that that house will not be available nor will the beach be inhabitable 4months from now. Hopefully it changes. I’m not willing to text VRBO owner at this point for fear of sounding selfish in their time of need. I’m gonna wait a few weeks and see if we hear from him. Everyone needs to put politics aside and take care of Florida right now.
We have very dear friends that moved to Naples about 5 years ago haven’t heard from them.

~Dee~

We have very dear friends that moved to Naples about 5 years ago haven’t heard from them.

~Dee~
I have two good friends with property in Naples. Neither was present for the storm, but both report their neighborhoods are in good shape. It all depends on where you were it seems.

The insurance industry is abandoning Florida. I saw this in an on-line article:

Despite charging such stupendous rates, a dozen insurance companies have quit doing business in Florida since 2020. So far this year, another six insurers have been declared insolvent by state regulators. The Insurance Information Institute describes Florida, with three-quarters of its population living in coastal counties, as “not a sustainable market.”

Before Ian, insurers blamed their losses on bogus roofing claims and spurious litigation (both apparently South Florida specialties). The Florida Office of Insurance Regulation reported that in 2019, Floridians accounted for 8.16% of all U.S. homeowner insurance claims, yet they filed 76% of lawsuits challenging the outcomes.

The insurance industry is abandoning Florida. I saw this in an on-line article:
I just happened to see this article last Thursday to flesh out what you found, Tip:

State regulators and insurers have long blamed lawsuits by homeowners as a major culprit in the state's crisis. They say state law makes it highly profitable for lawyers to sue insurance companies even if the amount won is relatively small. In the last half of the 2010s, Florida accounted for about 8% of all homeowners’ claims in the U.S. but almost 80% of all homeowners’ lawsuits against insurers in the U.S., according to a letter from the state Office of Insurance Regular.

I just happened to see this article last Thursday to flesh out what you found, Tip:

The insurance situation combined with high construction costs will begin the process of climate migration from Florida (and other states). There's already a category known as halfbacks - people from the northern part of the country that moved to Florida, became disenchanted, and then moved half-way back to states like North Carolina.

I expect New England and mid-western states such as Minnesota and Wisconsin will be seen as desirable locations for those who no longer think that Florida and the desert southwest are sensible places to live.

This isn’t their first rodeo. Nor will it be their last.
They are pretty resilient down south ....

~Dee~

Last edited:
The insurance situation combined with high construction costs will begin the process of climate migration from Florida (and other states). There's already a category known as halfbacks - people from the northern part of the country that moved to Florida, became disenchanted, and then moved half-way back to states like North Carolina.

I expect New England and mid-western states such as Minnesota and Wisconsin will be seen as desirable locations for those who no longer think that Florida and the desert southwest are sensible places to live.
I've considered moving south at some point, or if I am able to, wintering in the south. All along I've thought the Carolinas might be nice. Not as warm as Florida for sure, but a bood bit warmer than NH.

I've considered moving south at some point, or if I am able to, wintering in the south. All along I've thought the Carolinas might be nice. Not as warm as Florida for sure, but a bood bit warmer than NH.
South Carolina - upstate, at least, is excellent. I'm a big fan of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

It is for sure warmer and actually very nice. Me I’m weird I can’t imagine leaving the snow and it’s quite, and the fall and it’s beauty for the heat and more humidity.

~Dee~

It is for sure warmer and actually very nice. Me I’m weird I can’t imagine leaving the snow and it’s quite, and the fall and it’s beauty for the heat and more humidity.

~Dee~
I've had enough of snow.

Truly what I will probably want to do is travel across the country in a nice Overland rig.

I've had enough of snow.

Truly what I will probably want to do is travel across the country in a nice Overland rig.
I understand completely ... as I said I’m weird lol
Enjoy wherever you land that’s huge.

~Dee~

Back