I need an unbiased view from Pats fans.

Thumper

Charger Power
Reaction score
Website
www.bolttalk.net
Coach Marty Schottenheimer has done a great job with this team duringt he regular season, but as the world knows, his play off record is pathetic.

I was not a Marty fan when he came to San Diego, but he has grown on me. Now I have mixed felings. Part of my says it's time for Marty to go. Part of me says that the team is buying into Martys coaching and it would be a setback to bring a new coach in here and completely shake up the team. The other part of me says, we need new blood. A new coach and a new attitude.

So what say you Pats fans? Should we dump Marty? Or give him another Year? If we do dump Marty, who do we go after to replace him?

Honestly, I'd keep him around, but I'm not sure for how much longer. I think he really only made 1 or 2 big mistakes in this game (the challenge being the biggest). If he was calling more plays on that last drive, then 3 mistakes.

Still, he has created a good working product there. He just needs some people to trust and help him get past the post season hump. This loss was to a coach/team notorious for taking down top seeds, and as such that should be weighted a bit in the decision.

Annihilus would give him one more year and go off of the results of that. 14-2 has to buy you something.

That being said....much of that loss can be placed squarely on the coaching staff. The Bolts were pretty undisciplined, and that comes from the top.

I'd give him another year. 14-2 is very good. The Chargers just lost their cool a bit at key times. I think with another year of experience, they'll do better next year.

I have never been a MS fan. If I were a Charger fan I'd want him fired. I would have been upset the day they hired him, personally.

Going into that game yesterday, I thought the Pats had a serious advantage because they were facing a MS coached team, regardless that he handed the so-called reins to Cam Cameron/Wade Phillips.

Like I said, I have no confidence in him whatsoever.

$0.02

Undisciplined mistakes that lead to crucial game making or breaking outcomes that cause a team to lose a vital playoff game falls squarely on the shoulders of the coach IMO.

Draw your own conclusion from that.

All BS aside, I think he's a good coach. I think the problem that you guys had yesterday is lack of experience and ego. You guys won the battles for much of the game but I think that some players thought that talent would pull them through and they lost their edge. I don't think that they really respected the Pats experience and thought they had the game locked up. Maybe this was the humble pie you guys needed but it will depend on whether this brings them together or not. Regardless of what happened yesterday, I don't think the Pats would have turned to the media in their fustration but some players on the Chargers did. The first thing they should have asked themselves is how they could have let us off the hook with 6 minutes left? Instead, they worried about some celebrations. The Pats would have tucked that away (like the comments from the Chargers last season) and used it as fuel for the next time. Instead, people shot their wad and gave the Pats something else for fuel too.

Patriots4ever on 01-15-2007 at 08:14 AM said:
I have never been a MS fan. If I were a Charger fan I'd want him fired. I would have been upset the day they hired him, personally.

Going into that game yesterday, I thought the Pats had a serious advantage because they were facing a MS coached team, regardless that he handed the so-called reins to Cam Cameron/Wade Phillips.

Like I said, I have no confidence in him whatsoever.

$0.02
I was one of the biggest Marty bashers when we first hired him, but he has been succesful here and that changes a lot. My leaning is to keep him for another year, but another failure and he's gone.

Thumper on 01-15-2007 at 11:22 AM said:
I was one of the biggest Marty bashers when we first hired him, but he has been succesful here and that changes a lot. My leaning is to keep him for another year, but another failure and he's gone.

I don't particularly agree with this seeing that the SD Chargers started out fast last season and didn't even make the playoffs. Getting bounced by the friggin' Jets in '04 wasn't pretty either.

Seriously, he may have had some success there, but I can't get the '04 - '05 seasons now that you got me thinking about it.

Thumper on 01-15-2007 at 11:03 AM said:
Coach Marty Schottenheimer has done a great job with this team duringt he regular season, but as the world knows, his play off record is pathetic.

I was not a Marty fan when he came to San Diego, but he has grown on me. Now I have mixed felings. Part of my says it's time for Marty to go. Part of me says that the team is buying into Martys coaching and it would be a setback to bring a new coach in here and completely shake up the team. The other part of me says, we need new blood. A new coach and a new attitude.

So what say you Pats fans? Should we dump Marty? Or give him another Year? If we do dump Marty, who do we go after to replace him?

Dump him. A championship team needs a championship coach. The guy never learns and never will. He's the Drew Bledsoe of coaches.

mikiemo83 on 01-15-2007 at 11:08 AM said:
I think Marty over thought and went away from the run instead of sticking to it

more specifically here right?

San Diego Chargers at 04:30
1-10-SD29 (4:30) L.Tomlinson right tackle to SD 34 for 5 yards (T.Bruschi).
2-5-SD34 (3:53) P.Rivers pass incomplete short left to V.Jackson (E.Hobbs).
3-5-SD34 (3:46) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass incomplete short right to E.Parker (A.Samuel).
4-5-SD34 (3:42) M.Scifres punts 51 yards to NE 15, Center-D.Binn. K.Faulk pushed ob at NE 15 for no gain (K.Osgood).

Friggin Maroon
All he had to do was run with Tomlinson

This was as dumb as it gets too
1-10-NE29 (6:52) E.Parker right end to NE 36 for -7 yards (R.Colvin, T.Warren).
2-17-NE36 (6:07) L.Tomlinson up the middle to NE 30 for 6 yards (M.Vrabel, T.Bruschi).
3-11-NE30 (5:27) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass incomplete deep middle to V.Jackson (E.Hobbs).
4-11-NE30 (5:21) (Shotgun) P.Rivers sacked at NE 35 for -5 yards (M.Vrabel). FUMBLES (M.Vrabel), RECOVERED by NE-T.Banta-Cain at NE 35. T.Banta-Cain to NE 35 for no gain (M.Goff).

If you cant let the kicker try from 47 I just dont know???????

Keep him around, with all that talent it could be another rematch next year

ROFL

Keep him another year. Y'all were one big play away from winning that game. Coaches that can get you that close are mighty hard to find.

If you could convince him to let his coordinators make the decisions once the playoffs start, it might be prudent, though. Perhaps slip him a micky just before the game starts?

I was expecting 'Martyball' to be highly conservative. That didn't seem to be his problem so much this time around. If anything, going for it on 4th and 11 was far too aggressive. The other problem seems to have been allowing a culture of taunting and arrogance that resulted in a couple of unnecessary roughness calls. On the play calling side, LT was hurting the Patriots bad running around the corner. I'm a bit surprised he didn't do that a bit more.

But that was just a rugged tough game. You can't totally stay the course, remaining always the same. Still, the Chargers have definitely been going in the right direction long enough to have gotten somewhere.

I would fire him. He's done a good job of caretaking for a team that has loaded up on excellent draft picks. Tremendous talent. Now they need a good game coach.

I think you keep Marty. His luck is bound to change at some point and he has always been a very good coach, just having the misfortune of running up against the likes of Elway and now Brady in the playoffs.

so, are you saying you would like to go to the playoffs for 7 years straight...and never make it past the second round....I thought not.....if your team wants any chance at all, fire him, he is SB jinxed...:thumb: of course if you don't believe me you could always talk to some browns fans, or skins fans or even chiefs fans..:D

The Chargers have a ton of talent. They should try and get Herm Edwards from KC. He has a proven track record.

Back