i needz a gun

xpatriotpatsfan

cool cat
Reaction score
i decided some time ago that once i got moved i would be purchasing a handgun for protection. I'll be taking lessons as part of the purchase of course. Can you wise planeteers give me some advice on what type, brand, and caliber i should get?

I like the .380, but im a girl so:shrug: But a 9mm is nice too

I have a Springfield XD .40 Great gun with a grip safety. They also make this in a 9mm. 9mm rounds are a little cheaper but the .40 packs a bigger punch. I like the grip safety because it helps ensure that the gun is pointed away from you before you can fire it. But keep in mind that no gun is safe from careless use.

I have a Springfield XD .40 Great gun with a grip safety. They also make this in a 9mm. 9mm rounds are a little cheaper but the .40 packs a bigger punch. I like the grip safety because it helps ensure that the gun is pointed away from you before you can fire it. But keep in mind that no gun is safe from careless use.

thanks, i live by myself and won't be doing stupid stuff hopefully just use it at the range once a year or so.

i think i agree i don't need to drop a moose
is that a S&W??

Yup. Smith And Wesson.

Most law enforcement use them as standard issue. Its reliable, shoots straight, and its cheap to fire. If you start to enjoy shooting, then there are a whole host of firearms out there that you could check out. But its a great first gun.

Yup. Smith And Wesson.

Most law enforcement use them as standard issue. Its reliable, shoots straight, and its cheap to fire. If you start to enjoy shooting, then there are a whole host of firearms out there that you could check out. But its a great first gun.

and that's the other thing a colt 1911 was mentioned it's a military type.

i believe whatever i get will be a mil or police service weapon, just need to research.

Anything over a 9mm crosses over into the realm of "Really?....Really?"

just spending some time doing target practice, and assembling and disassembling it

P.S. If it's home protection your after, a better direction might be a 12 gauge pump. Accuracy....not so much an issue Scary Factor: Unmatched
Con: You may cause more damage to your house then an intruder

and that's the other thing a colt 1911 was mentioned it's a military type.

i believe whatever i get will be a mil or police service weapon, just need to research.
Yeah the 1911 was the standard side arm issued to most military for the longest time.

They also have a civilian version based on the same design. Good looking gun, and by all acounts very reliable (never shot one myself) and the .45 has more than enough stopping power.

Here is the website if you wanna read more:
http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/1911WWI.asp

just spending some time doing target practice, and assembling and disassembling it

P.S. If it's home protection your after, a better direction might be a 12 gauge pump. Accuracy....not so much an issue Scary Factor: Unmatched

it seems it would be more difficult to conceal also?

Nice thing about a 12 gauge is that if someone does break in your house they will high tail it out as soon as they hear the pump action. That said a 9 is nice first gun. Fast round & very little recoil. If you get a handgun you need to practice, practice & practice some more. It takes a while before you get comfortable & accurate.

no, just home protection but i don't want someone breaking in and shooting me with my own gun :shrug:

A shot gun can be kept under your bed with the shells in your night stand

I've read more then a couple articles advocating shotguns for home protection for a variety off good reason

1. Hand guns are inaccurate as hell (well not inaccurate per see, but hard as hell to aim)
Try and hit a coke can 20ft away with a hand gun.....it actually takes pratice

2. The average person will never be calm enough to fire a hand gun well under duress

3. Shotguns are loud (and that's good)

4. A drunk baby can hit something 20ft away with 00 buck

Yup. Smith And Wesson.

Actually over 70% of law enforcement now use Glocks (issued). Most are issued the Glock 22 .40 caliber. Female officers many times convert to the 9mm Glock 17 because of the smaller grip and less recoil allows better follow up shots....or Male officers with smaller hands.

I personally carry a Glock 21 .45 cal. The recoil is LESS than the .40 which IMO is a little "snappy".

I have shot most of the more popular pistols being that I am a Firearms Instructor...for the money I like the Glock...prefer the .45 cartridge for stopping power.

Money no object...

HK45 V1(new...excellent handgun)
Sig P220
Kimber (choice for a 1911)

The reason I like the Glock is it just works and can be attained at a fair price. I have put 10's of thousands of rounds through them with very few problems in extreme weather and conditions.

Now if someone wants to give me a HK45, I will drop my Glock like a bad habit, but for almost double the price I see no reason considering I can drill a hole with it the HK won't help me shoot better.

Regardless you need to go to a gun shop that will let you shoot the various handguns. Some peoples natural hand position will make some guns more comfortable to them...grips (do you have large hands, long fingers, ect) Skill level...and of course $$$$$

Price range will make all the difference in any recommendation.

Back