I should know the answer to this as a graduate of "Man School"

fulltilt

Assclownism-it's the genes not a choice
Reaction score
I have a small building that has a regular home oil furnace in it for heat. The oil company has minimum delivery requirements that are more fuel than I'll use in many years.
I'm pretty sure I can just go to the gas station and use diesel fuel I can pump there in my oil tank.
Am I right or do I have to go back to man school?

If you live anywhere near the ocean, there should be companies who offer off road diesel. This is what the commercial fishing boats run and it has the advantage of being taxed less than truck diesel. One caution is to not use the off road fuel in a diesel vehicle since it is dyed to detect tax evasion. But the short answer to your question is yes although the burner might have to be adjusted to run at peak efficiency.

You can use it. You're just paying road taxes on the diesel that you wouldn't pay if it were classified as #2 fuel.

If you live anywhere near the ocean, there should be companies who offer off road diesel. This is what the commercial fishing boats run and it has the advantage of being taxed less than truck diesel. One caution is to not use the off road fuel in a diesel vehicle since it is dyed to detect tax evasion. But the short answer to your question is yes although the burner might have to be adjusted to run at peak efficiency.

Is #2 home Heating Oil dyed also?

I had an filthy rich Uncle (now passed) who had two 2000 gallon under ground oil tanks at his home and ran his Mercedes diesels for years for next to nothing. He doctored it up with cetane boosters and biocide additives and never had a problem. Don't know if you can still do that if you've got the logistics or not.

Cheers

100 gallons is usually the minimum for many oil companies. Shop around.

Is #2 home Heating Oil dyed also?

I had an filthy rich Uncle (now passed) who had two 2000 gallon under ground oil tanks at his home and ran his Mercedes diesels for years for next to nothing. He doctored it up with cetane boosters and biocide additives and never had a problem. Don't know if you can still do that if you've got the logistics or not.

Cheers
It was dyed at one time, not sure about now but I will ask my oil man when he next delivers.

Do you actually have proof that you graduated from man school? I'd like to see your diploma. And remember, real man school diplomas are stained with barbeque sauce.

Do you actually have proof that you graduated from man school? I'd like to see your diploma. And remember, real man school diplomas are stained with barbeque sauce.
and beer with optional cigar ash.:insane:

I may not be a graduate of man school but I am a graduate of "Mother Fvcker How Are We Almost Out Of Oil Again" School. Yes, you can use regular diesel fuel in a home heating tank.

<---------------dumbass who always forgets to check the gauge and has to make trips to the gas station to fill canisters.

I may not be a graduate of man school but I am a graduate of "Mother Fvcker How Are We Almost Out Of Oil Again" School. Yes, you can use regular diesel fuel in a home heating tank.

<---------------dumbass who always forgets to check the gauge and has to make trips to the gas station to fill canisters.

Me and the fellas got together and gave you an honorary degree. Represent proudly. nutpunch

REAL mean don't need oil tanks. We just flip a switch and heat comes out of the vents.

I'm having flashbacks to "Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom"
*whispering* Look Marlin, the baby fulltilt has wandered away from the protection of the herd. I certainly hope he goes back to the safety of his moma before those lurking hungry lions spot him.
Wait! One of the pride has caught the scent! Strangely it smells like #2 Diesel fuel. Curious indeed.. Oh no! One of the lions has neatly cut the young one off from the herd! Oh my! The pride is on him! It's a frenzied fight for position! Big chunks of tender fulltilt meat ripped from the young ones twitching body! Many of the pride are choking on the opportunistic feast and are spewing gout's of sarcasm! Nature at it's basest, most awesome grandeur! Thus you see the price for showing weakness. Another example of the harsh side of life that's just another day on the Planet."

I checked with my oil man today. #2 heating oil is generally not dyed any more however due to changes in its composition, it can't be used safely in diesel engines without doing damage to the diesel. Diesel fuel can still be used safely in oil burners.

Back