If Joe Thomas fired back at a person who shot his roomate = hero

Danny88

Reaction score
If Joe thomas used legal handgun to protect himeself / roomate he would = hero

Butttttttt if Brandon Meriweather uses his legally registered handgun to return fire/protect himself against a criminal who just shot his roommate, he is a criminal with a gun charge? How does one have a gun charge if the Miami police made it clear it was a clean cut case of self defense with a legal, registered, firearm? Why is a person who owned a legal handgun a thug with a gun charge according to the media? Do they think the millions of people who have registered hand guns have character issues? Why does no one mention Meriweather was studying to be a police officer at Miami U? The Miami dade police made it clear Brandon did not do anything illegal and was defending himself. Why does the media leave all this out? Sounds like they are pushing an agenda and leaving out the fact. No idea why a person would want to own a legal gun in a city where a Miami U player was shot in the back of the head for no reason by local thugs.

Like I said, If Joe Thomas used his legal handgun to return fire against a perp who just shot his roommate he would be hailed as a hero who attempted to save his roommate's life. Funny how that works. I doubt anyone would scream "character issue's" if country boy Joe Thomas had a gun. Odds are he does, according to media clowns like dr z that would make him insane/criminal/serial killer.

I cannot wait until this kid is a no trouble at all and all the media clowns find the next thing to hate on the pats about.

SamBam39 on 05-01-2007 at 03:45 AM said:
I didn't realize he had a gun sharge. I thought it was self defense?

There was no charge filed by the police in the matter, you are correct they ruled it self-defense.

SSDD

Couldn't agree more. As is typical in today's world, the press only deals in soundbytes.

football - gun - college - black man.

Left out:

self defense - registered - no charges.

I am as liberal as a person gets and believes in serious gun control. But i have NO PROBLEM with people who legally obtain a gun, are trained in how to use the gun, and if need be use that gun to protect themselves or others.

So give the guy a break and forget about the gun. Let's focus on the player stomping. :)

Fitty_Six on 05-01-2007 at 07:58 AM said:
So give the guy a break and forget about the gun. Let's focus on the player stomping. :)

I agree. The gun thing is irrelevant.

Now, as for the stomping... Until proven otherwise, we'll chalk it up to the heat of the battle. Does it indicate he's a Boy Scout? No. Does it indicate that he might have some anger management issues? Yes. But there have been plenty of players, from Haynesworth to Seymour, who've done a little emotional stomping (and other guys who've given fans the finger, thrown stuff, etc.,.).

Hey, look: when I was his age, I had a suitcase full of booze in my car. :shrug: Supposedly, and hopefully, we all mature a little more each day. I'll give the kid a chance.

Besides, the best thing that could've happened to Meriweather was the trade for Randy Moss, LOL. Now the focus is on Randy, not Meriweather.

ok this is more about the kicking part of Meriwearther 31 seconds into this video No 24, Marshall McDuffie, Jr, for FIU runs in and kicks No. 14 from the Canes' in the head while he is on the ground.

Myself, I would have run over and booted him back if I was a Cane player and I know Meriweather got the bad rap for his multiple kicks but I would have like to think my team mates would have had my back and that they would know I had theirs.

I have noticed this when the brawl happened and never made much of it because you never hear about this guy.

the amazing thing is I am backing the Canes in this

Fitty_Six on 05-01-2007 at 07:58 AM said:
Couldn't agree more. As is typical in today's world, the press only deals in soundbytes.

football - gun - college - black man.

Left out:

self defense - registered - no charges.

I am as liberal as a person gets and believes in serious gun control. But i have NO PROBLEM with people who legally obtain a gun, are trained in how to use the gun, and if need be use that gun to protect themselves or others.

I was under the impression that supporting the 2nd amendment automatically disqualifies you from liberal status....:confused: >)

So are you saying that Brandon Merriweather thuggishly shot Joe Thomas' roomate and Joe Thomas heroically fought him off by stomping on his head?

/stirs

I think the issue wasn't just that he returned fire, as its well known the police did not charge him.

The issue is that apparently the shooting occurred at 5 or 6 in the morning in a bad part of town that people generally don't go to at 5am unless they are purchasing or doing illicit things. So there's also the "why was he there in the first place" rap that condems him by association so to speak.

Ie like PacMan, you put yourself into a place where bad things are much more likely to happen than most places and bad things will happen even if its not your fault. The question is did Merriweather learn his lesson or is he going to be a perrenial turd ?

harrisonhits on 05-01-2007 at 08:48 AM said:
The issue is that apparently the shooting occurred at 5 or 6 in the morning in a bad part of town that people generally don't go to at 5am unless they are purchasing or doing illicit things. So there's also the "why was he there in the first place" rap that condems him by association so to speak.
didn't it happen outside of his apartment?

UMiami is in a bad part of town I thought, any one know

harrisonhits on 05-01-2007 at 08:48 AM said:
I think the issue wasn't just that he returned fire, as its well known the police did not charge him.

Ie like PacMan, you put yourself into a place where bad things are much more likely to happen than most places and bad things will happen even if its not your fault. The question is did Merriweather learn his lesson or is he going to be a perrenial turd ?

This may be spin, but I thought they were up and about at that hour because they were on their way to the gym for a morning lifting session.

I don't know the full details, only what some of the sock puppets on one of the networks were saying at one point.

He shot a guy in defense of his roomate/teamate.
He kicked a guy defending his teamate during a brawl.

I certainly wouldnt have wanted him to sit on his thumbs in either case.

Analogy:
When you go to buy a puppy do you pick the one sitting in the corner or the one that is a roustabout ELVIS LIVES!

IIRC, the incident happened outside his apartment that is located in Coral Gables, FL. I would think everybody in that place would be armed. He was never charged and, IMHO, should be considered a good citizen for protecting himself and his friend in self defense. He is also pursuing a degree in law enforcement.

As far as the brawl is concerned what he did was wrong but it shouldn't deem him as having bad character issues. Again, it is another example of him protecting those close to him. I remember during a Sixer's-Celtics game where Dr. J punched Larry Bird while Bird was being held from behind. Nobody has ever questioned Dr. J's character and basketball is suppose to be a non-contact sport.

This is all typical media hyperbole that will fade away as soon as they can find a new poster boy to dump on.

harrisonhits on 05-01-2007 at 09:05 AM said:
I don't know the full details, only what some of the sock puppets on one of the networks were saying at one point.

Rep for that comparison (if we ever get it). :thumb:

babalu87 on 05-01-2007 at 09:26 AM said:
He shot a guy in defense of his roomate/teamate.
He kicked a guy defending his teamate during a brawl.

I certainly wouldnt have wanted him to sit on his thumbs in either case.

Exactly

Would you rather be friends with Meriweather or some guy who's gonna stand there and let you get shot or beat down by a mob?

<<
or beat down by a mob?
>>

Except the mob was players on his team who had the other team's player on the ground already beating the crap out of him. It is clear on the video the guy he stomped was down under several other Miami teammates, and Merriweather in what was clearly a premeditated shot at someone who was down stomped the guy not once but three times, twice on the head and then went out of his way on the third time to dig his cleats into the hamstring area on the back of the guy's leg. This was more than simple hotheadedness or protecting a down teammate.

Especially the attempt to maybe permanently ruin a guy's career by maybe ruining his hamstring doesn't sit well with me.

harrisonhits on 05-01-2007 at 09:57 AM said:
<<
or beat down by a mob?
>>

Except the mob was players on his team who had the other team's player on the ground already beating the crap out of him. It is clear on the video the guy he stomped was down under several other Miami teammates, and Merriweather in what was clearly a premeditated shot at someone who was down stomped the guy not once but three times, twice on the head and then went out of his way on the third time to dig his cleats into the hamstring area on the back of the guy's leg. This was more than simple hotheadedness or protecting a down teammate.

Especially the attempt to maybe permanently ruin a guy's career by maybe ruining his hamstring doesn't sit well with me.

Well that's the thing, this wasn't a boxing match and people aren't gonna stop and head to neutral corners once someone goes down. The entire point of a fight is to injure the other guy and wether or not he had the presence of mind (which I doubt) to intentionally go after the guy's hamstring doesn't matter to me. I think you would've seen similar stuff happen to Meriweather by the other team if it were him that had went down.

HH, not to say it is the right thing to do, but the video I posted earlier shows No.24 of FIU kicking No.14 of Miami in the head while he was down. Meriweather came onto the scene shortly after with his attempted Field Goals

Not that I have ever been in this situation but I would assume that I would feel obligated to kick a FIU player in return IF I noticed that being done to a team mate of mine, A brother type

Back