If you could fix one thing, what would it be and why?

He's played quite a bit.

ESPN has the break down on the first three games here

Here's the number of snaps he's had in each game.

Tennessee: 36 of 65 (55%)
Arizona: 0 of 64 (0%)
Baltimore: 4 of 73 (5%)

Total: 40 of 202 (20%)

Not sure why he essentially hasn't played in the last two games.

ESPN also had this bit on Ras I.

Drafted in the second round of the 2011 draft, cornerback Ras-I Dowling could very well be following a similar path as Butler. The 33rd overall pick started the first two games of his rookie season before suffering a season-ending hip injury, and played in 57 percent of the defensive snaps in the regular-season opener this season.

But then something happened.

Dowling did not play in Week 2 against the Cardinals and played for just four defensive snaps on Sunday night in Baltimore. Sterling Moore took over third-cornerback duties for both weeks, and when starter Kyle Arrington went down with an injury late in the Ravens game, it was Marquice Cole who came onto the field, not Dowling.

That last bit is even more significant than the drop in playing time, IMHO.

It indicates he's dropped two spots on the depth chart, not just one.

Of course, he could have an injury, except he's not listed on the injury report.

Own the 4th quarter and end the game on Mallett's knee. The offense needs to be able to kill the clock. The defense needs to get off the field late in the game.

Oh, this is the football forum. In the 3RC the answer to the question in the thread title is obvious:

Snooki.
Posted via Mobile Device

Less conservative play calling on the Defense - I'd like to see the Pats dialing in some Blitzes this week, bringing some heat will put opposing QBs under pressure. We may well let teams get big plays every once in a while if we Blitz, but we may also see some better numbers when it comes to QB hurries, pressures and of course, sacks.

Own the 4th quarter and end the game on Mallett's knee. The offense needs to be able to kill the clock. The defense needs to get off the field late in the game.

Mallett? Brady does not let Mallett come into games. Stupid newbie might drop the snap and cost them the game. Like a few people said, hard to close games out when they are calling silly penalties against you...I am going to have to give the patriots a pass on that last game, they played good enough to win with everything equal.

I'd get a true shutdown CB.

Yeah, I'd certainly like to see better play on the backend. I don't know if the problem is scheme or the ability of the individuals, but I'd just like to be able to see a pass thrown deep and not immediately know its going to be a completion or DPI.

Speaking of which, are we ever going see some Ras I out there?

I've been underwhelmed by what I've seen from him, thus far. I'd like to see them to get someone who can really cover a good WR (like Ty Law, or Mike Haynes).

I have always hated the soft zone coverage that comes out when they have a lead. Not sure how they are on pace to be worse than last year when coming into BAL they were the #2 defense in the game. They need to build up the pass rush more and they definitely need a shutdown CB. And stop dropping easy INTs.

Not giving up on this defensive unit especially after a marred game like the BAL one was. Give it time.

He is just going to be chasing around a wideout for 5 minutes like the rest of them....I will start blaming our secondary when we stop allowing a Qb to stand in the pocket for 10 seconds and wait for someone to get open.

321362382158439961.gif

Exactly the 1 thing I would fix if I could.

I've been underwhelmed by what I've seen from him, thus far. I'd like to see them to get someone who can really cover a good WR (like Ty Law, or Mike Haynes).

I think he's a better cover guy than Arrington, that's for sure. Using the preseason as an indication it appeared that even on completions given up Ras-I was in pretty good position and I think he is a physical, solid tackler who just needs reps to be somebody. I like his strength and arm length right up on a bigger WR. He can battle.

I can't answer why he hasn't played in the last two but suspect that the team felt he made too many mental mistakes, which if true shouldn't be surprising since he lacks experience.

I have to believe that Arrington is skating on thin ice and Dowling is the guy I would think has the best chance of starting over him and performing well, but it is a bit Butleresque the way he's disappearing from the lineup.

Back