IG_IG (Jerry Thornton)

I'll tell him. And I actually will. Like any Artist, he always likes to hear stories of how his skills affect people whether he's met them or not.

That was, I'm sure, a cathartic thing for him to write. He doesn't typically get that deep and reflective-- claiming that he has "one all-purpose mood", which is a big exaggeration,
but he does have a rare gift for making people cry with the things he writes, so I know he is actually softer-hearted than he'd like folks to think. He did the Eulogy
for a really close Friend of his, really a wonderful guy that everybody loved, a few weeks back and the guy's family cried a river at the way Jerry honored his memory, but in a
happy way. He can make you laugh hard or cry depending on what you need most at the time, so it isn't just you. He's a fine Wordsmith.

Anyhow, his new house is really nice and it's a short walk to a gorgeous beach-- which is one of the local secrets. Our favorite part of the move is that he has
extra parking spaces which we intend to use regularly. He and his Wife are going to be really happy there and so will his Sons and future Grandkids. The next phase
will have some benefits, too.
I bumped into Jerry in Newport this summer and just wanted to quickly say hello. He would have kept talking for as long as I wanted but he was doing the same thing I was: sneaking away for a couple of days with his bride, and I wasn't going to drag him into a "If you could be ANY Adam Vinatieri kick, which kick would you be?" discussion - but he would have stood there, wives be damned, and had it! After we parted ways, my wife asked who that was and why I'd never mentioned him before. When I explained to her who he is, and that was only the second time I'd ever met him (and that I am not even sure if he would have recalled the first time) she was completely shocked. She said, "he was speaking to you as if you've known each other forever." I just tried to explain him as a "regular guy." She 100% got it.

I am glad he shares personal stories like this as I am slightly behind him, grappling with similar issues while raising two boys (I did purge my attic last year, so I am one up on him in that regard). He is just a down-to-earth, relatable guy. Hope he enjoys his Camelot II.

I bumped into Jerry in Newport this summer and just wanted to quickly say hello. He would have kept talking for as long as I wanted but he was doing the same thing I was: sneaking away for a couple of days with his bride, and I wasn't going to drag him into a "If you could be ANY Adam Vinatieri kick, which kick would you be?" discussion - but he would have stood there, wives be damned, and had it! After we parted ways, my wife asked who that was and why I'd never mentioned him before. When I explained to her who he is, and that was only the second time I'd ever met him (and that I am not even sure if he would have recalled the first time) she was completely shocked. She said, "he was speaking to you as if you've known each other forever." I just tried to explain him as a "regular guy." She 100% got it.

I am glad he shares personal stories like this as I am slightly behind him, grappling with similar issues while raising two boys (I did purge my attic last year, so I am one up on him in that regard). He is just a down-to-earth, relatable guy. Hope he enjoys his Camelot II.

I don't think I will be able to purge with the same thoroughness. Not sure the wife will let us sell this house anyway. We may just become snowbirds. Plus, I have actively SAVED a lot of stuff. The rocking chair that went into each kids room is never getting thrown out even though it is a very plain rocker that now needs another coat of white paint (at least it's 3rd). I'll be delivering it to the first of the offspring's, offspring's room personally some day. I hope. And the pictures? No way. I have almost 90k in digital form (I worked for one of the first of the digital camera companies), another 2-3k of actual pictures that I am actively scanning right now. They are all available to the family via iCloud already and they do access them from time to time.

Many of us can relate to the downsizing / empty nest syndrome, me and Mrs PW for sure. That piece was spot on.

Kids are grown and gone out of state.

We've discussed selling / moving / retiring but it just doesn't seem right.
The kids of course want us to keep the house we have. It's not so much the stuff we'd get rid of as it is the neighborhood, the state of the real estate market, we need to stick around because her elderly Dad is nearby and we help him all the time. We have so many friends and family nearby.
But I don't think the house is good to grow old in and at some point it's going to have to go. Plus neither of us has retired yet, although I'm on the 18th fairway so to speak. The yard is huge, lots of mowing, lots of snow clearing, and I actually enjoy / need the physical work... but realistically will I be that way in a few years? I'd love it if I was. My hero is my neighbors 90 yo Dad. Guys a f-ing beast, last summer he was up on a ladder outside painting the house.. cut off shorts, no shirt, work boots and a Budweiser at his side. LOL.

We do plan to grab a place in FL in one of those 55+ communities, and rent it out January to March each year. That might happen real soon.

Enough rambling from me!

Back