In Celebration Of Tom Brady, Bill Belichick & The New England Patriots

Tewaaraton Award@Tewaaraton
It's an honor to announce that we'll be recognizing Bill Belichick with our 2020 Spirit of Tewaaraton Award! A passionate fan, supporter, and mentor for the game, Coach Belichick has continually given back to the sport throughout his amazing NFL career: http://bit.ly/BelichickSpiri

LAX
EPoB8lEXsAAjRzp

And so it ends...After 20 exciting, sensational seasons with the New England Patriots, Tom Brady's accomplishments are truly historic.

And now his time with the Pats has come to an end with this message.
ETT-wMcXgAAqJIy

I wonder if he'll make the Patriots HOF....I'm going to enjoy his bust in the Pro Football Hall of Fame

I wonder if he'll make the Patriots HOF....I'm going to enjoy his bust in the Pro Football Hall of Fame

He couldn't even win Patriots Player of the Week. It's not a lock. :coffee:

Chatham: The only reasonable reaction to Tom Brady’s departure: Gratitude

By Matt Chatham

Gratitude. It’s really all my brain has room for on this somewhat surprising day when Tom Brady announced he’ll finish his career somewhere other than Foxboro.
The road always ends in the NFL, we all know this. And it’s usually not a fairytale ending. But with that said, Tom’s career with the New England Patriots is so incredibly rare in professional sports — several fairytales packed into what could easily be two Hall of Fame quarterback careers — I don’t think the ending is really that important to the greater story.
I see today as the bonus scenes in a movie, long after the breadth of the greater story itself was set in stone.
I can appreciate that some fans won’t see it that way. Some will have an understandable emotional reaction to this in one direction or the other, and that my relatively ambivalent feelings on his choice to play for another team to finish off his incomparable career might not be the norm.
But for me, I just figure if one pours as much appreciation and gratitude into any vessel as is deserved for what Tom’s done for the game, for this organization, for this region, for this league … there isn’t any room for anything else.
To be clear, with Tom we’re not talking now about the metaphorical back nine of a football career — this isn’t the eighteenth or even nineteenth hole. We’re talking about a guy who dominated the sport the first time around the course like no other, then inexplicably did it again, and is now just squeezing in another couple holes before dark. As far as I’m concerned, we’ve been in uncharted, all-gravy territory for quite some time.
I mean, for a friend and former teammate like me who’s long removed from his playing days but who adores highlighting the intricacies of the game for fans in my professional life, Brady’s incomparably long and successful career has already been a godsend many times over. It’s well past ridiculous how many countless times on TV, in a column, or on the radio or podcast I’ve used plays of his as an example of the benchmark — how a football player can ace the little things that stats and TV game presentation usually miss.
Personal stuff aside, I’ve gotten so many times more than my money’s worth as an analyst from Tom that to complain now that we don’t get more would feel petty. But on that personal side, I can’t think of another professional athlete who’s absolutely earned the right to finish things off in a way that makes him happy, wherever that ends up being. Throw the ball for another team for a while, whatever. His cup has long-since runneth over here.
My stories of what Tom is like as a teammate are well-worn, much like the many others from my era who’ve gotten to share these over and over the last decade as Tom kept chugging along and having Jostens parties. He squeals in practice for the team to get things right to the point where his voice cracks on the regular. He lurks around the building at all hours. He broods like no other when the wins don’t come. He rejoices when they do while simultaneously planning for the next one like the perfect sports psychopath.
When I first saw his post announcing the end of his Patriots tenure this morning, my thoughts immediately went back to the days in his old Franklin condo. Just a bunch of young rookie knuckleheads — David Nugent, Chris Eitzmann and myself — dreaming about making our own place in the NFL over beers, meticulously chosen music playlists and Super Nintendo marathons and games of pool. The trips back and forth to The Rack and The Place in Boston nearly every Monday night. The trips to Franklin Flatbread for a pie and ice cream. The long lingering in the old stadium to try and get an edge and climb up a depth chart.
And Tom not only climbed it, he made the top of the depth chart his own. Not just New England’s, but the top of the NFL quarterback depth chart. He built roots there deeper than any great professional athlete ever has or will. With a lil’ context research, it’s easy to see we’re in a stage with Tom that we’ve never seen from any other great. Because of that, whatever uniform he wants to wear in his mid-40s, I really can’t muster the mental energy to care much one way or the other.
Consider this: most sports icons with singular association with one team have never made it anywhere near the stage we’re now kvetching over with Brady. Bill Russell was a Celtic for 13 years. Bobby Orr was a Bruin for 10 years. Larry Bird a Celtic for 13 years. Michael Jordan a Bull for 14 years. Joe Montana a Niner for 14 seasons. Brett Favre a Packer for 16 years. Peyton Manning a Colt for 14 years. On and on and on.
There’s nothing like this, so wanting it to end like some others did isn’t really an accurate portrayal. They never made it this far.
Tom’s loyalty and contribution to his original organization in time and production far surpasses every other athlete of his status — it’s not close. That he’d make a twilight choice that makes him happiest will forever be a stage that none of these other iconic players even got to. And that’s a fact I think all Patriots fans should never forget when deciding how they want to react to him being elsewhere now.
I realize the debates about what should or shouldn’t have happened are going to go off the rails in the coming days, but personally, count me out on all that. I don’t see much room for anything more than gratitude. He’s happy, I’m happy.
Tom was a selfless teammate, which is no small accomplishment when you consider he was so unlike the vast majority of the people he needed to bond with to make this thing go like it did for years and years. You’ll hear players from all walks of life born in the late 90s echo the same things about him as his older teammates born in the sixties. He was exactly what our teams needed. He was exactly what New England needed. He was exactly what the NFL needed.
Sports fandom often isn’t about rational thought, I get that. But this situation has had plenty of time to marinate, even with the pseudo-suddenness of the final decision. As far as I’m concerned, there’s no rational room for wanting something more from Tom Brady.
Just gratitude.

https://theathletic.com/1681622/2020/03/17/chatham-gratitude-tom-brady-patriots/

chatham: The only reasonable reaction to tom brady’s departure: Gratitude

by matt chatham

gratitude. It’s really all my brain has room for on this somewhat surprising day when tom brady announced he’ll finish his career somewhere other than foxboro.
The road always ends in the nfl, we all know this. And it’s usually not a fairytale ending. But with that said, tom’s career with the new england patriots is so incredibly rare in professional sports — several fairytales packed into what could easily be two hall of fame quarterback careers — i don’t think the ending is really that important to the greater story.
I see today as the bonus scenes in a movie, long after the breadth of the greater story itself was set in stone.
I can appreciate that some fans won’t see it that way. Some will have an understandable emotional reaction to this in one direction or the other, and that my relatively ambivalent feelings on his choice to play for another team to finish off his incomparable career might not be the norm.
But for me, i just figure if one pours as much appreciation and gratitude into any vessel as is deserved for what tom’s done for the game, for this organization, for this region, for this league … there isn’t any room for anything else.
To be clear, with tom we’re not talking now about the metaphorical back nine of a football career — this isn’t the eighteenth or even nineteenth hole. We’re talking about a guy who dominated the sport the first time around the course like no other, then inexplicably did it again, and is now just squeezing in another couple holes before dark. As far as i’m concerned, we’ve been in uncharted, all-gravy territory for quite some time.
I mean, for a friend and former teammate like me who’s long removed from his playing days but who adores highlighting the intricacies of the game for fans in my professional life, brady’s incomparably long and successful career has already been a godsend many times over. It’s well past ridiculous how many countless times on tv, in a column, or on the radio or podcast i’ve used plays of his as an example of the benchmark — how a football player can ace the little things that stats and tv game presentation usually miss.
Personal stuff aside, i’ve gotten so many times more than my money’s worth as an analyst from tom that to complain now that we don’t get more would feel petty. But on that personal side, i can’t think of another professional athlete who’s absolutely earned the right to finish things off in a way that makes him happy, wherever that ends up being. Throw the ball for another team for a while, whatever. His cup has long-since runneth over here.
My stories of what tom is like as a teammate are well-worn, much like the many others from my era who’ve gotten to share these over and over the last decade as tom kept chugging along and having jostens parties. He squeals in practice for the team to get things right to the point where his voice cracks on the regular. He lurks around the building at all hours. He broods like no other when the wins don’t come. He rejoices when they do while simultaneously planning for the next one like the perfect sports psychopath.
When i first saw his post announcing the end of his patriots tenure this morning, my thoughts immediately went back to the days in his old franklin condo. Just a bunch of young rookie knuckleheads — david nugent, chris eitzmann and myself — dreaming about making our own place in the nfl over beers, meticulously chosen music playlists and super nintendo marathons and games of pool. The trips back and forth to the rack and the place in boston nearly every monday night. The trips to franklin flatbread for a pie and ice cream. The long lingering in the old stadium to try and get an edge and climb up a depth chart.
And tom not only climbed it, he made the top of the depth chart his own. Not just new england’s, but the top of the nfl quarterback depth chart. He built roots there deeper than any great professional athlete ever has or will. With a lil’ context research, it’s easy to see we’re in a stage with tom that we’ve never seen from any other great. Because of that, whatever uniform he wants to wear in his mid-40s, i really can’t muster the mental energy to care much one way or the other.
Consider this: Most sports icons with singular association with one team have never made it anywhere near the stage we’re now kvetching over with brady. Bill russell was a celtic for 13 years. Bobby orr was a bruin for 10 years. Larry bird a celtic for 13 years. Michael jordan a bull for 14 years. Joe montana a niner for 14 seasons. Brett favre a packer for 16 years. Peyton manning a colt for 14 years. On and on and on.
There’s nothing like this, so wanting it to end like some others did isn’t really an accurate portrayal. They never made it this far.
Tom’s loyalty and contribution to his original organization in time and production far surpasses every other athlete of his status — it’s not close. That he’d make a twilight choice that makes him happiest will forever be a stage that none of these other iconic players even got to. And that’s a fact i think all patriots fans should never forget when deciding how they want to react to him being elsewhere now.
I realize the debates about what should or shouldn’t have happened are going to go off the rails in the coming days, but personally, count me out on all that. I don’t see much room for anything more than gratitude. He’s happy, i’m happy.
Tom was a selfless teammate, which is no small accomplishment when you consider he was so unlike the vast majority of the people he needed to bond with to make this thing go like it did for years and years. You’ll hear players from all walks of life born in the late 90s echo the same things about him as his older teammates born in the sixties. He was exactly what our teams needed. He was exactly what new england needed. He was exactly what the nfl needed.
Sports fandom often isn’t about rational thought, i get that. But this situation has had plenty of time to marinate, even with the pseudo-suddenness of the final decision. As far as i’m concerned, there’s no rational room for wanting something more from tom brady.
Just gratitude.

https://theathletic.com/1681622/2020/03/17/chatham-gratitude-tom-brady-patriots/

huzzah!

https://theathletic.com/1682998/2020/03/18/howe-what-it-was-like-to-cover-tom-brady/

Front row seat to history: What it was like to cover Tom Brady in New England

By Jeff Howe 2h ago

Four years ago in the Patriots locker room, Tom Brady was in the middle of a purposeful walk from his locker to the far door in the direction of the team’s meeting rooms when I mentioned I had to share a story one of these days.
Brady looked too busy at the moment, so I just wanted to put in on his radar. That’s when he stopped, turned around and said, “OK, how ’bout now?” I explained it might take a few minutes, but he was eager to hear it.
I’d never before mentioned this to Brady, but he casually knew my father, who was the bar manager at Abe & Louie’s in Boston for about 15 years. Brady had been there a number of times over the years, almost always uneventfully, but this story was about the one time he duped many of his Patriots teammates.
After the Patriots won Super Bowl 36 against the Rams, they held their annual rookie party in the private room at Abe & Louie’s. For anyone who doesn’t know, the party is the rookies’ rite of passage, as the ones with the biggest contracts pick up the tab for a night out with the veterans. This was Richard Seymour’s year.
At some point on their way to racking up a $30,000 bill, someone asked for the most expensive drink on the menu, which turned out to be a $375 glass of a cognac called Hennessey Timeless. When it’s your money, you sip it. When it’s a party on someone else’s dime, the rounds of shots add up, over and over and over again.
My father, Joe, was running the party, and Brady pulled him to the side with a request when the shots started flowing. Every time they ordered a round, Brady asked my father to secretly fill his glass with water. He’d pay for the cognac if necessary, but he couldn’t go shot for shot with the linemen all night.
At this point, Brady was cracking up in the middle of the locker room, and a handful of teammates joined the audience. He knew I uncovered one of his go-to moves.
What he didn’t know was the next part of the story.
As everyone was drinking more and more, Willie McGinest saddled up to my dad at the bar. Willie, who had known my father for a few years at this point, looked back at a completely sober Brady, then put his head in his hands and commiserated, “Joe, who is this guy? First, he takes over for Drew Bledsoe. Then, he wins us a Super Bowl. Now, he can outdrink all of us? What can’t this guy do?”
Brady loved it. He immediately quipped, “Veteran move!” I reminded him that he was 24 at the time, and he just smiled and tapped his index finger to his head.
(I later told McGinest the story. He said he had no idea about the water part and just laughed and shook his head.)
So anyway, Brady and I parted and he walked away. After a few steps, he turned back and asked, “How’s your dad? Tell him I said hi.”
Fast forward about a week, I was standing around the locker room minding my business when Brady beelined in my direction.
“Did you tell your dad I said hi?” he asked, wanting to make sure I relayed the message.
“I did,” I told him, and that he was happy Brady was asking for him.
Brady wanted to know how he was doing, exchanged a few more pleasantries and took off.
So that’s what it was like covering Brady the person, and I’ve been along for the ride since the 2009 season when he returned from a torn ACL.
Obviously, I’ll always remember the on-field highlights. The first game I ever covered, Brady hit Ben Watson for a pair of touchdowns in the final two minutes to beat the Bills, 25-24. It was one of the very few things that went right for that 2009 Patriots team.
I was there as Brady won his second MVP award in 2010, and then during the Super Bowl 46 loss to the Giants. I’ve always thought, if the Patriots won, that would have gone down as one of the greatest quarterbacking performances in history when Brady completed 16 consecutive passes to turn a 9-0 deficit into a 17-9 lead.
There were more wild comebacks in 2013 and the greatest game I think I’ll ever cover when the Pats toppled the Seahawks in Super Bowl 49 between a couple of legitimately great teams. I looked over at someone in the second quarter and said, “This game is (bleeping) awesome.”
There was Super Bowl 51 against the Falcons, the AFC Championship Game after the 2017 season against the Jaguars and the following year’s edition when all hell broke loose against the Chiefs. Brady had no idea Joe Montana was in the crowd that night until we spoke afterward in the locker room.
“He was my idol growing up,” Brady responded. “I thought he was the greatest player I’ve ever seen. He and Steve Young were my two guys I dreamed about being someday.”
Brady orchestrated the 57th game-winning drive of his career in the 37-31 overtime victory at Arrowhead Stadium. After witnessing Montana’s heroics as a kid, Brady acknowledged it was “pretty cool” to return the favor with a show of his own.
His family was usually close by, too. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more shellshocked locker room than after the last-second “Miracle in Miami” loss in 2018. Everyone — players, coaches, media — wondered how the Patriots could allow a 69-yard touchdown to lose at the buzzer.
Someone else had a different question. As one of Brady’s children clung to him, they asked, “Dad, who’s taller, you or Gronk?”
Perspective.
Brady was always approachable for a quick conversation in the locker room, but he was typically more reserved in terms of private interview requests.
One time a few years back, I told him I was working on a story about David Andrews’ quick rise from an undrafted rookie to an entrenched starter. Brady said he was thrilled Andrews was getting that type of attention and wanted to have his voice in the story but couldn’t be available until the next day.
I believed Brady, but these future interviews don’t always pan out, either because the subject is either trying to duck out of the conversation, simply forgets or has something else come up along the way. Not a huge deal, but it happens.
So I walked into the locker room the following day, a Friday, hoping to catch Brady before he took off for the weekend. He was sitting in his chair at his locker, facing the door where the media entered and asked right away if I was ready to go. He was good on his word and great in the interview.
Speaking of that chair, Brady had a pretty nice swivel chair with arm rests and a leather cushion, and he made sure to label it. Everyone else had a foldup chair, mostly to maximize space in the room when they weren’t at their lockers. I once pointed at Brady’s chair and jokingly asked a veteran how you get one of those. “Gotta be old,” he quipped.
Brady’s teammates revered him, but they weren’t afraid to clown on him, too. I’ll never forget after one of those miraculous comebacks, some players looked in the Gillette Stadium stands and saw fans leaving. One relayed the thought, “Why are you leaving? We’ve got Tom Brady.”
There are a million stories from his teammates over the years, but some that still stick out were the way they admired his commitment to turning around the team’s fortune following the 2014 blowout in Kansas City, or the way he responded during the same stretch to those calling for his job. It’s why they all fought so hard for him during the two-year Deflategate saga.
Duron Harmon once recalled his first encounter during rookie camp in 2013. Harmon was mid-business at the urinal when Brady appeared alongside him and said, “Hey Duron, how are you doing? Welcome to the Pats. I’m Tom.” Harmon said he was in shock, stuttered in his response and then ran to his phone to text his now-wife, “Babe, Tom Brady knows my name!”
Rob Ninkovich shared a story about a time he complimented Brady’s watch. Shortly thereafter, Brady gave him one for Christmas. Dont’a Hightower overheard Ninkovich’s story and said, “I’m about to go compliment that Escalade outside.”
I’ve got one more personal story left, and this one is embarrassing but too funny not to share. Needing a few quotes from Brady for stories I was writing prior to Super Bowl 52, I showed up almost an hour early for a weekday media session at the team hotel. Those access periods are a logistical nightmare for local reporters because the star players sometimes attract more than a hundred media members, and it’s almost impossible to ask questions with everyone screaming over each other.
So on this day, an hour early wound up being too late, and I was barricaded outside the scrum by the TV cameras. One Boston TV reporter, who was banked next to Brady’s table and knew I was trying to ask Brady a few questions, helped clear a path to get me a little closer, but still about four deep away. So Brady was about a half-hour into his session when that TV reporter noticed I still wasn’t able to get Brady’s attention. (Just me, but I won’t sell my soul by shrieking like I’m in a horror movie just to get off a question.)
The reporter gestured to squeeze between a tripod and the stage, but it was too tight and a lost cause. So that reporter literally ripped the railing off the stairs to the stage to get me closer to the table. This presented a new problem, as Brady was talking about 3 feet away and all the attention was refocusing on the two unwittingly obnoxious reporters. The TV reporter couldn’t reattach the railing into the staircase, and now security was grabbing my arm because, obviously, we looked like lunatics who were converging on the face of the NFL.
Just then, Brady finished his previous response, looked over at me, cheek quivering to stop himself from laughing and asked, “You good?”
“Man,” I shook my head, “it’s been a long week.”
“Go ahead. What do you got?”
After his media session, Brady walked down the busted staircase, looked at me and wanted to make sure I had everything I needed for the week. I assured him I was set and the rest of the city’s railings were safe.
So what was it like to cover Tom Brady?
Mostly, he was easy to talk to, even when he wasn’t

Class act all the way

By Michael Hurley, CBS Boston BOSTON (CBS) — Realistically, Tom Brady probably should be finishing his NFL career with the Patriots. Alas, the Patriots did not appear to be overly eager to ensure that end to the career of the greatest player in franchise history and, arguably, NFL history.
Despite that rough ending in New England, Brady showed no signs of bitterness or hurt feelings when he spoke to the media on his introductory conference call with the Buccaneers on Tuesday.
“No I have a great deal of respect for, you know, there’s nobody who’s been a bigger fan of the Patriots than me,” Brady said when asked directly if he was disappointed that the Patriots didn’t try harder to keep him. “I have nothing but total respect and love. I’m so grateful to Mr. Kraft, and the organization, and Coach Belichick and all the coaches and obviously all of my teammates.”
Brady was also asked about Robert Kraft’s comments, which indicated that leaving the Patriots was Brady’s desire.
“I’m not responsible for how other people say certain things,” Brady answered. “I think Mr. Kraft has been a great influence on my life, and I’m so grateful for two decades. I referenced that the other day. It’s been an amazing thing for my family, and I’m sure when I’m done playing I’ll have a chance to look back and really reevaluate my entire career.
“At the same time, I’m excited for this opportunity that I have,” Brady added. “I can only speak to how I feel. I wrote about that in my social media the other day. This was, getting to be a free agent and having the opportunity to join the Bucs, was something that I was really excited about. And that’s why we’re at where we’re at.”
Later in the call, Brady was asked directly what it would have taken from the Patriots’ side in order for the quarterback to stay with the team. Brady more or less pleaded the fifth.
“You know, again, I don’t want to talk about the past, because that’s not relevant to what’s important in my future and what’s going on this offseason for me. And like I said, I had nothing but two decades of an incredible experience, learning from some of the best players and the best coaches and the ownership of the team. I think all of us, things in life can change, and you gotta be able to adapt and evolve. With each of those changes come different opportunities to learn and go, and that’s where I’m at,” Brady replied. “Any time you leave somewhere, it’s very emotional. The transition is very emotional, with a lot of guys that I’ve shared the field with. The relationships are what matters most to me. I’m going to be friends with my teammates, my former teammates and coaches, for the rest of my life. That’s not going to change just because I’m wearing a different jersey.”
Brady was also asked when in his mind he officially “cut the cord” with the Patriots. Brady used it as an opportunity to gush about his days in New England, with both Robert and Jonathan Kraft, as well as with Bill Belichick.
“It was really, you know, the night that I stopped by and spoke with Mr. Kraft and asked if I could come over and see him,” Brady said. “And we spoke and we had a great conversation. And I just wanted to express what he’s meant to me in my life, and we spoke with Coach Belichick at the same time. We were at different locations and we talked to him. It was a great conversation. Got a chance to talk to Jonathan Kraft as well. All three of those guys have been involved in so many important decisions in my life, career-related, personal-related.
“I leave there with just such great admiration for the people and organization. It’s a world-class, first-class organization in every way. And I wanted to leave it in that way, too.”

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/03/...aft-belichick/

Of the many impressive stats the Pats have accumulated over the years, this one is my favorite because it shows the greatness from an efficiency perspective. (2007) The most efficient offense in NFL history.

EUTHztKX0AQ1k7z

This is the VHS tape showing Tom MacKenzie, then the head football coach at Serra High School in San Mateo, CA making his pitch to college head coaches on behalf of Tom Brady, who stood by smiling shyly. This video was sent to colleges throughout the country and helped Tom get a scholarship to the University of Michigan. No one knew what was to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_wrlz3O2lg&feature=youtu.be

By the time Michigan received this tape, Brady had already finished up his senior season, setting school records in the process. He had received strong attention after his junior season from in-state schools like USC, Cal-Berkeley and UCLA. But his father, Tom Sr., decided to make and mail 50 or so highlight tapes to other programs around the country. The clips included Brady making every kind of pass — slants, crossing routes, hooks, posts and deep balls labeled “bombs.” They even showed plays of Brady taking hits, plus a testimonial from quarterback guru Tom Martinez: “Any Division-I school would be fortunate to have him in their program.” The Brady family didn’t want their only son to be part of just a football factory but to pick a place where he could get a great education.

This is the VHS tape showing Tom MacKenzie, then the head football coach at Serra High School in San Mateo, CA making his pitch to college head coaches on behalf of Tom Brady, who stood by smiling shyly. This video was sent to colleges throughout the country and helped Tom get a scholarship to the University of Michigan. No one knew what was to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_wrlz3O2lg&feature=youtu.be

By the time Michigan received this tape, Brady had already finished up his senior season, setting school records in the process. He had received strong attention after his junior season from in-state schools like USC, Cal-Berkeley and UCLA. But his father, Tom Sr., decided to make and mail 50 or so highlight tapes to other programs around the country. The clips included Brady making every kind of pass — slants, crossing routes, hooks, posts and deep balls labeled “bombs.” They even showed plays of Brady taking hits, plus a testimonial from quarterback guru Tom Martinez: “Any Division-I school would be fortunate to have him in their program.” The Brady family didn’t want their only son to be part of just a football factory but to pick a place where he could get a great education.

You continue to do a excellent job of building this thread. Thanks.

Cheers

Back