In Celebration Of Tom Brady, Bill Belichick & The New England Patriots

Since this seems to be a reminiscent thread, I am sure everyone on this forum has seen this video, but it wasn't included with this thread. This is just me dropping in my two cents and adding a little value! :wave:

Excellent watch for any NFL fan (and this includes fans of the Jets, Dolphins and Bills too!!)

It's really great to see some old videos of Tom, especially when he was 6!

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xHJMfF-3FD0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:patriotlogo:

Good. It definately belongs here.

Cheers, BostonTim

Since this seems to be a reminiscent thread, I am sure everyone on this forum has seen this video, but it wasn't included with this thread. This is just me dropping in my two cents and adding a little value! :wave:

Excellent watch for any NFL fan (and this includes fans of the Jets, Dolphins and Bills too!!)

It's really great to see some old videos of Tom, especially when he was 6!

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xHJMfF-3FD0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:patriotlogo:

You have too feel sorry for Drew Henson in a way. His career just didn't pan out. Seems like a good guy though.

You have too feel sorry for Drew Henson in a way. His career just didn't pan out. Seems like a good guy though.

He would have been maybe a 3rd round pick in the NFL. He choose to play in the Yankees farm system. Michigan kept playing both QB in the games.

Great article. Good get. Already forwarded this to about fifteen friends, more to come.

There will be many biographies in the fullness of time. May Sally's be one of them.

Cheers, BostonTim

Seems strange to say this but after reading Sally, I wonder if DG will end up enhancing Brady's legacy years after he is retired. Given this season he is putting together and the silliness of the alleged violation in the first place that was more about jealous owners than "integrity of the game", I do wonder if the tables will turn when all the dust settles.

Seems strange to say this but after reading Sally, I wonder if DG will end up enhancing Brady's legacy years after he is retired. Given this season he is putting together and the silliness of the alleged violation in the first place that was more about jealous owners than "integrity of the game", I do wonder if the tables will turn when all the dust settles.

Elsewhere, amidst all the mumble and jumble and rubble, I've discussed that very idea (thought not with the link to this season's performance). I remain cautiously optimistic about that. I regret that I'm very apt to not live lomg enough to see the longer term effect. Hell, if Brady won't quit I may not make it to his induction.

Cheers, BostonTim

Pats-NWO.jpg

Patriots build dynasty despite an NFL system designed to drag them down

The Patriots dynasty of the 2000s rivals the greatest in NFL and pro sports history. And in my view, it's the greatest sustained success over a long period of any team in any sport that has featured free agency and a salary cap.

saw first hand how tough it is to stay on top when I was with strong Vikings and Titans teams in the late 90s and early 2000s. There's the draft that has the best teams picking at the end of every round and the waiver system that gives the worst teams first crack at released players.
Division winners face the toughest schedules in the following season, including plenty of primetime games where other teams give you their best shot to try and knock off the champs.
Most damaging of all to the top teams is free agency, the salary cap and the payroll pressure that comes with success and having lots of star, Pro Bowl caliber players. Winning teams can't remain intact as they did in my early, pre-free agency/salary cap years in the NFL.
As long as the owner agreed to increase the payroll as necessary in those years, teams such as the Steelers, Dolphins and Raiders in the AFC and the 49ers, Cowboys, Redskins, Vikings and Rams in the NFC were perennial playoff teams and Super Bowl regulars.
Then in 1993, free agency and the salary cap brought a system where GMs and coaches had to make choices of which star players to retain as you couldn't keep a team with eight Pro Bowlers intact for very long. In recent years as playoff quarterbacks hit the $20 million- plus per year jackpot, something had to give in other positions.
We see the effects today with the Seahawks after Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, Marshawn Lynch, Earl Thomas and Bobby Wagner got paid big bucks contracts. Over the past two years, Seattle could not retain players such as Golden Tate, former Super Bowl MVP Malcolm Smith, Chris Clemons, Red Bryant, Byron Maxwell and Brandon Browner.
This player attrition seems to have caught up with the Seahawks, who stand at 4-4 at this season's mid-point (but are still capable of a late season run as they did last year).
The Patriots also have lost excellent players to free agency and the cap through their successful run. Star players such as shutdown corner Ty Law in the early dynasty years, then Wes Welker in 2013, Logan Mankins in 2014. Since last year's title run, departures have included starting corners Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner, along with run stuffer Vince Wilfork and nifty runner/receiver out of the backfield, Shane Vereen.
But as one of the three remaining unbeatens, the Patriots haven't missed a beat.
Making the money work

One thing that has helped their salary cap [much more]

Yes, but...

The Patriots dynasty of the 2000s rivals the greatest in NFL and pro sports history. And in my view, it's the greatest sustained success over a long period of any team in any sport that has featured free agency and a salary cap.

Red Auerbach's and Bill Russel's Celtics deserve an honorable mention at the very least. The NBA at that time wasn't pushing for 'parity' as much as the modern NFL, still the 50s & 60s Celtics might be the 'greatest in... pro sports history' that the Patriots are rivaling. Heck, all Brady and Belichick have managed to put together is a piddling two championships in a row.

And Russel was going up against Chamberlain, not just Payton. ;)

There'll come a time eventually when we won't have these two guys anymore. it's amazing how long they've been here and how good they both really have been. When it's all a memory, this is kind of image I'll always have of those years.

Tom leaning down to respectfully listen to his head coaches instructions on the sideline. That's the relationship they have, as much as a superstar Tom is, he has always shown BB the upmost respect. They're not all cozy pals away from football, I think Bill has maybe purposely preferred to keep distance so they can have this utterly professional relationship. And what a relationship it's been......

tom-brady-and-bill-belichick.jpg

There'll come a time eventually when we won't have these two guys anymore. it's amazing how long they've been here and how good they both really have been. When it's all a memory, this is kind of image I'll always have of those years.

Tom leaning down to respectfully listen to his head coaches instructions on the sideline. That's the relationship they have, as much as a superstar Tom is, he has always shown BB the upmost respect. They're not all cozy pals away from football, I think Bill has maybe purposely preferred to keep distance so they can have this utterly professional relationship. And what a relationship it's been......

tom-brady-and-bill-belichick.jpg

At the end of Super Bowl after the Butler pick, the Pats call timeout before the first play on offense prior to Hawks jumping off-sides. Bill comes out all the way to the field to talk to Brady himself and you can just see Tom nodding and Bill saying they are going to fire out at you. It is a great moment as it is just the two of them on the field making sure to get THAT play right and they did with the hard count and Bennett jumping off-sides. It was really symbolic IMO of what makes them the best duo the NFL has ever seen.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M9LUGNS_pGQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<IFRAME height=315 src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M9LUGNS_pGQ" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

That was awesome. Glad to see a video that shows just how great Brady was in college. That orange bowl was one of the best college football games I have ever seen. :toast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeNYQaS3rZI

Do Your Job segment on preparation for Butler's pick. This is the best example of why the Pats win as much as they do. Get chills just watching the ending when Ernie says how much they practiced the exact play Seattle ran not knowing if they would ever need it in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeNYQaS3rZI

Do Your Job segment on preparation for Butler's pick. This is the best example of why the Pats win as much as they do. Get chills just watching the ending when Ernie says how much they practiced the exact play Seattle ran not knowing if they would ever need it in the game.

goosebumps, that will never get old

Great stuff. I read yesterday that the Niners had won 12 out of 15 division titles from 1981 through 1996 with Montana and Young. So Brady and Bill have eclipsed them with 13 out of 15. Simply amazing.

I remember thinking in 1996 after the 49ers won 5 SBs in 14 years, how incredible that feat was and what an incredible dynasty it is. The Pats can tie that IF they win the SB this year. Please football gods, let it be so, you owe us after all the injuries to important starters this year.

Back