Internet advice

Alk

Reaction score
So we just got an email from our internet provider. Our current plan is up to 300 Mbps download and up to 30 Mbps upload. They're telling us that we need to buy a new modem in order to keep this plan. They're saying it's a retired plan so if we switch then we most likely won't be able to go back to it. The plan that they would switch us to is 500 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload at no extra charge. To me, dropping up to 20 Mbps upload seems like a much bigger hit than an extra 200 Mbps dowload would be a gain. There are three of us living in the house. I do quite a bit of gaming and my son does a lot of gaming with some YouTube streaming mixed in. We no longer have dish so my wife streams a lot of shows and movies. My question is, is that 10 Mbps upload going to be enough if all three of us happen to be doing our thing at the same time? The other wild card is our oldest son comes home on some weekends so that would add an extra person to the mix.

To me, the things you described are predominantly downloading. When you stream from YouTube, you are downloading.

Where you would most feel the difference is in uploading. Does anyone create videos and upload them to YouTube? Does anyone working at home work with large files that they need to upload and save on the company's servers?

Things like that.

I lived for the past few years with only 2mb upload and as long as no one was uploading to a cloud somewhere, it was mostly fine.

Also, be careful that the new plan isn't promotional pricing that runs out. If that's the case, it might be cheaper to buy the modem you need once. Though I don't understand why you can't keep using what you have been using for equipment.

Reactions: Alk
To me, the things you described are predominantly downloading. When you stream from YouTube, you are downloading.

Where you would most feel the difference is in uploading. Does anyone create videos and upload them to YouTube? Does anyone working at home work with large files that they need to upload and save on the company's servers?

Things like that.

I lived for the past few years with only 2mb upload and as long as no one was uploading to a cloud somewhere, it was mostly fine.

Also, be careful that the new plan isn't promotional pricing that runs out. If that's the case, it might be cheaper to buy the modem you need once. Though I don't understand why you can't keep using what you have been using for equipment.
Sorry, I should have clarified. My son does stream live on Youtube while he's gaming sometimes on Twitch too. Other than that, that's about it. I don't really understand why we need a new modem to keep our old plan either. Since it's a retired plan I'm sure it's just some ploy to get people to change to their new service. :shrug-n:

No, he is already on his current speed on his current modem. And they still want him to buy a new one or upgrade the service.

The router we currently have which isn't really that old is a 3.0. They say that now we would need a 3.1 to continue with our current plan. They offer to rent a modem from them but we just opted to buy our own because it would have been cheaper in the longrun.

10mbps is not great, your son streaming in and of itself will cap it out and he'll likely struggle to stream at the definition he might want to, especially if he's gaming at the same time, which I would expect.

I would definitely see what other options exist in your neighborhood. 500mbps is indeed massive overkill, they're trading you something you won't use in exchange for something you will.

What are you doing where 500mb is not enough? A high def video is around 15mbps, downloading 60+gb files all the time or something?

I'm just confused on how your D/L speed will go up, but your U/L speed will go down??? Upload is pretty important. Gaming is a 2-way deal. You are uploading as well as downloading. For FPS games, capping your U/L speed will be noticeable, for sure.
If you use any security cameras, like Nest, 10 MB would limit how many Cameras you can use. (Typically, Nest needs 1.5 Mb/s U/L speed per camera).

10mbps is not great, your son streaming in and of itself will cap it out and he'll likely struggle to stream at the definition he might want to, especially if he's gaming at the same time, which I would expect.

I would definitely see what other options exist in your neighborhood. 500mbps is indeed massive overkill, they're trading you something you won't use in exchange for something you will.
That's the problem. This is by far our best option for internet in our area. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the modem/router. The 300 mbps has always been plenty for our family.

So next question. Modem/Router combos? We have an Arris/Surfboard right now and it has worked great as far as we can tell. Are the newer ones still good or should I be looking elsewhere?

So next question. Modem/Router combos? We have an Arris/Surfboard right now and it has worked great as far as we can tell. Are the newer ones still good or should I be looking elsewhere?

A modem is a modem is a modem, to an extent. As long as it's compatible with the plan offered by your ISP, doesn't matter what it is.

Routers on the other hand, the type you get determines how easy it is to configure, how wide of coverage you get, what kind of dropoff you experience using wired vs wireless (there's always some, just a question of how much), and more. So I don't like the combos when you can avoid it, get a standalone modem and standalone router. Plus the modem will likely last you 15 years, the tech on them doesn't change that fast, while the router, better stuff is coming out all the time, and you'll likely want to upgrade in no more than 5 years time.

I like the mesh network setups, personally I'm using a Netgear Orbi, because it was one of only a few mesh network routers at the time which offered a dedicated web config console (rather than only being configurable through an app on a smartphone). They ensure you have strong, consistent coverage throughout the home regardless of its size, and avoid a lot of the drawbacks and hassles associated with range extenders. I've had it for a few years though, so I can't promise newer tech isn't available which blows that out of the water. It's done quite well for me though.

Has anyone checked out Starlink? It's getting pretty good review even in beta stage. The performance numbers are pretty good. I am considering it for my camp in NH, as the local cable service sucks. I think it depends on where you are as to feasibility.

I was signed up for the starlink beta before my town worked a deal for fiber. If that hadn't happened, I would be a starlink customer now.

I don't have any clue as to how to answer Alk's question. I'm posting because I had to pick my jaw up off the floor after reading those download and upload speeds. On a good day (of which there aren't many), I'm lucky to get a download of 5 Mbps and an upload of 0.5 Mbps (no, those aren't typos). Consequently, I don't spend a lot of time online because it's just so frustrating to watch a rotating circle.

My daughter and her family will soon be moving into my mother's home which is about 1/4 mile east of me. Knowing how slow my service is, my SIL went with T-Mobile home internet which I think is fairly new to the market. While they don't have speeds anything like Alk mentioned, they still have service that is at least 5 times better than I have while paying the same monthly fee.

So, I go to the below link only to be given the answer that this service isn't available in my area. I then enter the address of a home that is about 1/4 mile west of me. The service is available for them. I then called T-Mobile to inquire as to why this service wasn't available to me when it is to these homes on the same road. The guy just kept telling me that this service isn't available in my area. It makes no sense to me, but I plan on visiting a T-Mobile store soon to see if they can explain why I seem to be living in a cold spot.

I don't have any clue as to how to answer Alk's question. I'm posting because I had to pick my jaw up off the floor after reading those download and upload speeds. On a good day (of which there aren't many), I'm lucky to get a download of 5 Mbps and an upload of 0.5 Mbps (no, those aren't typos). Consequently, I don't spend a lot of time online because it's just so frustrating to watch a rotating circle.

My daughter and her family will soon be moving into my mother's home which is about 1/4 mile east of me. Knowing how slow my service is, my SIL went with T-Mobile home internet which I think is fairly new to the market. While they don't have speeds anything like Alk mentioned, they still have service that is at least 5 times better than I have while paying the same monthly fee.

So, I go to the below link only to be given the answer that this service isn't available in my area. I then enter the address of a home that is about 1/4 mile west of me. The service is available for them. I then called T-Mobile to inquire as to why this service wasn't available to me when it is to these homes on the same road. The guy just kept telling me that this service isn't available in my area. It makes no sense to me, but I plan on visiting a T-Mobile store soon to see if they can explain why I seem to be living in a cold spot.

Is it just a case of the faster fibre cables not having been installed where you live? I'm guessing here (as a Brit) but old cables where you live could be the issue. It may be worth checking with other ISPs locally.

Some rural areas in the UK experience similar speeds to yours, something that the main infrastructure providers are trying to fix through putting down more high speed cables nationally.

Also, I'm not defending the companies, as it's inexcusable to be experiencing your problems in this day and age.

Back