Irish pub music

Flagg the Wanderer

Mourning Algernon
Reaction score
I'm trying to compile playlists and artists, including different subgenres. Who am I missing?
  • Rumjacks
  • DKMs
  • Flogging Molly
  • Orthodox Celts
  • Dubliners
  • Irish Rovers
  • Dreadnoughts
  • Pogues

Personally, there can be no Irish list without the Chieftains. They didn't play in pubs, but the classic Irish music they sold beautifully worldwide, has its roots almost entirely in pubs. Fabulous and all pure Irish. Just M. O.

Cheers

Cheers

Cruachan, Stiff Little Fingers and Therapy? You're welcome. Coffee symbol.

If you're going for the more, er, mainstream Irish, there's Thin Lizzy, Boomtown Rats, U2 (ugh) etc.

Hozier is also Irish, but doesn't tend to fit so well with the more traditional Irish pub thing.

I'm trying to compile playlists and artists, including different subgenres. Who am I missing?
  • Rumjacks
  • DKMs
  • Flogging Molly
  • Orthodox Celts
  • Dubliners
  • Irish Rovers
  • Dreadnoughts
  • Pogues
Protect and Survive by the Dubliners is a classic. It's a song based on 1980s UK govt advice on what do in the event of a nuke.

I'd add the Saw Doctors to that list for sure-- say their live version of "Galway Girl" and/or "N17".

Another personal favorite is a semi-obscure track from the Pogues that gives me goosebumps every time I hear it-- "Thousands Are Sailing"

One more is a tune from American Steve Earle that doesn't sound Irish by title, but surely is. Check out "Dixieland". It's based on the story of
an irishman named Kilrane who fought for the 20th Maine in the Civil War. And is awesome.

I don't know if you wanted specific tracks or not, but those are 4 fine tracks for your playlist.

Personally, there can be no Irish list without the Chieftains. They didn't play in pubs, but the classic Irish music they sold beautifully worldwide, has its roots almost entirely in pubs. Fabulous and all pure Irish. Just M. O.

Cheers

Cheers

Great call! My uncle is a member of the Chieftains. The flautist, Matt Malloy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSW3QneuwS4

From the Gaeltacht? Is this him????

We were incredibly lucky to have Caught the Band at a music festival in Kenmare in June of 82. Great longer story (for our family mythology at least). Will try to get back to it.

That's him. And his pub in Westport, County Mayo. Great place.

Here's a nice track of them with the great Earl Scruggs on Conan O'Brien. They did some great sessions in the Grand ole Oprey showing the close connection between Irish traditional music and bluegrass.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moTfAln7mA0

Back