Is Maroney Good Enough?

Denism

Conas ata t?
Reaction score
OK, put Homerism aside, a simple question...

Obviously we have Majorly Improved our Passing game with the new WR's brought in But..

Is Maroney Good Enough to carry our Running Game?
After watching our Road to S/B 39 again, it got me thinking, Dillion was an Animal for us, making the Big plays when needed and scoring Alot if T/D's, some crucial in games...

So it got me thinking, Can Maroney be our new Dillion? Can he Really carry the burden of our Running game and make the Big plays when called apon?

Can he step into Dillion's shoe's and make them his own?

I know theres other guys there aswell to help out ie. Faulk etc But every team has there go to guy on Run Plays, can Maroney be our's?

Thoughts?

Box_O_Rocks on 08-12-2007 at 04:40 AM said:
Isn't that like asking if beer is good enough? :confused:

You've lost me there Box?:confused:

I was just curious if ppl here think that our running game is ok since we lost Dillion or if they think Maroney can carry the burden no problem?

Denism on 08-12-2007 at 12:04 AM said:

I was just curious if ppl here think that our running game is ok since we lost Dillion or if they think Maroney can carry the burden no problem?

I'm concerned myself. He couldn't even stay healthy last year, and he never had a game where he had 20 carries. To me, his durability is an issue, and hopefully, he's been cured of his tendency to dance in the hole. Morris is not going to be a solid back-up, if last night was any indication.

However, and I'm very guilty of this...I always "forget" about Faulk, and how he just exudes awesomeness everytime he's on the field. I know he's been working very hard about ball control this offseason. If the fumble-itis has been cured, I feel a BUNCH better about the RB situation as a whole.

:pat:

Denism on 08-12-2007 at 12:04 AM said:

Oh, you wine and brie guys are all the same - sour grapes. :D

I'd be a lot happier if the Pats had decided to wheel and deal to draft Brian Leonard out of Rutgers to back up Maroney and Faulk, but BB shelled out for Sammy Morris before the draft so Leonard was a bit superfluous. At the end of the day, you can figure BB does know his craft, or you can worry yourself sick (I'd rather worry about the French Republic of Islamistan, but that's just me). I've watched Sammy Morris play for two other AFCE teams the past 7 years, he's not a bad player. Heath Evans came aboard in 2005 and proved he could have a good game with a bit of blocking help, then he worked to improve his own blocking before last season, and this year he's reported to be a bit lighter and his blitz pick-up (a weakness last year) is reportedly improved in drills in this camp. There are plenty of folks who panic when Kevin Faulk touches the ball, not all of them Pats' fans fearing a fumble, at least 31 are NFL Head Coaches.

Let not your heart be troubled, BB is still HC of the NEP.

TommyD420 on 08-12-2007 at 12:10 AM said:
I'm concerned myself. He couldn't even stay healthy last year, and he never had a game where he had 20 carries. To me, his durability is an issue, and hopefully, he's been cured of his tendency to dance in the hole. Morris is not going to be a solid back-up, if last night was any indication.

However, and I'm very guilty of this...I always "forget" about Faulk, and how he just exudes awesomeness everytime he's on the field. I know he's been working very hard about ball control this offseason. If the fumble-itis has been cured, I feel a BUNCH better about the RB situation as a whole.

I agree, Morris outside of being pushed in for a score left me thinking, what's the big deal on this guy? WEAK. First time i saw Curtis Martin and Robert Edwards I knew we had something special as was the case for a Teddy Bruschi even.

But i had no feelings for Morris. Faulk cost us some games over the years with his fumbles at the worst times but tough to beat on a guy who works so hard but I used to cringe. Faulk has always been awesome outside of fumbling. Loved the guy for everything else and let's hope he contunues to improve. Didnt see our roster for I haven't seen who else we carried over for running backs but as Faulk's workload increased his fumbles increased from being tired. Gotta love his work ethic, just hope he holds on to the dam ball. Used to laugh at seeing Leonard Russell carrying the ball into the local stores with his red bonnet and seeing him out at a night club carrying the football but he did improve lol.

I thought Patrick Pass was on injured reserve last year but I see no listing of him/ What happened to the lad?

If you ever thought that Morris could be Curtis Martin I think you're crazy. I also think you're crazy to take one preseason game and run with it. If that one game is indicative of our team, then we better start worrying about our run DEFENSE. If Maroney gets hurt I think that Evans and Morris can put up the numbers that A. Smith provided in '03. Not great, but good enough. I think our passing game can carry the team if Maroney is hurt.

But, I think we are all set at RB if Maroney is healthy.

patswinagain on 08-12-2007 at 01:33 AM said:
I thought Patrick Pass was on injured reserve last year but I see no listing of him/ What happened to the lad?
He made the opening Special Teams tackle for the Houston Texans against da Bears.

Denism on 08-11-2007 at 11:27 PM said:
OK, put Homerism aside, a simple question...

Obviously we have Majorly Improved our Passing game with the new WR's brought in But..

Is Maroney Good Enough to carry our Running Game?

Thoughts?

two words: Antowain Smith

Eh, nobody's signed Dillon yet. I suspect the longer things go and he still out there the more chance we'll see him back in a Pats uni, especially if Maroney or Faulk gets injured.

TommyD420 on 08-12-2007 at 12:10 AM said:

I must confess that I felt a little bit better about Morris after the first preseason game, but I'm still not convoinced that Faulk can carry the ball more than 10 times without fumbling. In any case, I'm convinced that Maroney needs to stay healthy, more so than anyone on the Pats (other than Brady). I suspect he'll be doing a lot more moves, and a lot less trying to run over people (a la Dillon).

sptmylstbreath on 08-12-2007 at 01:39 AM said:
If you ever thought that Morris could be Curtis Martin I think you're crazy. I also think you're crazy to take one preseason game and run with it. If that one game is indicative of our team, then we better start worrying about our run DEFENSE. If Maroney gets hurt I think that Evans and Morris can put up the numbers that A. Smith provided in '03. Not great, but good enough. I think our passing game can carry the team if Maroney is hurt.

But, I think we are all set at RB if Maroney is healthy.

Thank you!!!

Its driving me crazy the way people are dumping on Morris, first before he even played a GAME with the Pats, and now after ONE preseason game.

Give the guy a break.. If he isn't a decent back-up I'll be the first one to admit it.. But for Pete's sake, I can't believe someone actually said he should be like Curtis Martin.

RELAX PEOPLE... He's a BACK-UP running back. He's gojng to contrubue to the team, but not in the same way a starting running back would.

Lets give Mr. Morris some tme to get comfortable with the offense (and the team) before we jump down his throat that he's terrible.

Maroney is more than good enough. If he stays healthy. I think Morris will be a capable backup.

It all depends on the big uglies. If they block well then we have two good RB's, and don't forget mixing up Kevin with them.

MEPATNUT on 08-12-2007 at 10:06 AM said:
Maroney is more than good enough. If he stays healthy. I think Morris will be a capable backup.

It all depends on the big uglies. If they block well then we have two good RB's, and don't forget mixing up Kevin with them.

Thats a great point.

The offense line plays a huge role in a runningback's success.

I think the big boys up front will open up some nice holes for whatever back is running the ball.

I agree that Maroney's health is a legitimate question.

The fact that he still wears a red shirt at practice isn't comforting, but I have to believe that BB thinks he'll be fine or they would have gotten more help at RB in the off season.

Comparing what he did last year and this year isn't necessarily meaningful.

Last year, teams could put 8 men in the box on many plays since our WR's didn't scare them.

That isn't likely to happen as often this year.

Last year the OL was just starting to play with a zone blocking scheme and so they weren't as good at it as they should be this year.

In fact, I don't think its a coincidence that they introduced zone blocking the same year they got Maroney.

His style of running should work quite well with a zone blocking scheme. This is kind of a chicken and the egg type thing since I'm not sure if they put in the zone blocking for Maroney or got Maroney because they wanted to shift to a zone blocking scheme.

So far i don't see any problem with Morris. It takes more than just the running back to make a play go. I only saw up to about the 5 minute mark of the second quarter but didn't see anything in Morris to lose sleep over. He did some nice things and showed some areas he needs to work on. He is a back-up talent learning a new system. He isn't a top notch talent but can fill in here and there when needed. Maroney needs to get healthy. If he isn't, the Pats will find a way to move the ball and score, they always do. A healthy dominent Maroney would be huge but all is not lost if he is slow to come around.

My gut says that he'll be good enough if not over-used. Definition of over-used: not relied on as much as Dillon was in his first 2 years. I'd guess somewhere between 40-50% of plays for Maroney, with Faulk and Morris each taking 20-25%.

Just a feeling.

Maroney's going to be a great player in the league. I think with the balance that we now have on offense, there's a lot less pressure on him in his first season carrying the load. The switch to zone blocking will help him a lot, as it's a scheme he's very comfortable with already. I'm expecting very good things from him this year. We saw flashes of what he can do last year.

Back