Is Maroney our new Faulk?

Alk

Reaction score
After watching the game last night I have come to the conclusion that Maroney is never going to be a go to running back. That being said, he is extremely good in open field with the screens and short passes. Faulk is getting to the end of his career as well. Do you guys think the Patriots are grooming Maroney to fill that kind of role once Faulk is gone? Because they were feeding him an awful lot of screens and short passes last night. What do you think?

You have a point there, he can't run without a good running start. I don't know if its the fact he has itty bitty balls, or freezes as he runs into the fatties up front, but he's not one I would trust in a 3rd and 1 situation.

been thinking thats his destiny for a couple of years now...

totally agree

Maybe, but it is also possible that they are trying to work him into the passing game so the defense respects the fact that it is not a guaranteed run when he is in the game.

SSDD

Maybe, but it is also possible that they are trying to work him into the passing game so the defense respects the fact that it is not a guaranteed run when he is in the game.

SSDD

I don't think that would matter. You could put one man on the line of scrimmage and Maroney would figure out a way to run into him.

After watching the game last night I have come to the conclusion that Maroney is never going to be a go to running back. That being said, he is extremely good in open field with the screens and short passes. Faulk is getting to the end of his career as well. Do you guys think the Patriots are grooming Maroney to fill that kind of role once Faulk is gone? Because they were feeding him an awful lot of screens and short passes last night. What do you think?

I think this is possible, Alk. I saw the first half and was struck by a couple of things, like you. He lined up wide and caught a few passes as you said. He also seemed to get the odd call for him to run outside the tackles. I personally like Maroney, because he has the priceless ability to make people miss.

Actually, I think Lawrence Maroney, for once, played mostly like the old Lawrence Maroney. If he had 5 or 6 runs, he hit the hole good on almost all of them. I mean, he run hard into the line. Except for one play. But he was pretty good yesterday.

He's trying to make the team, so he ran harder yesterday. Too little, too late?

Yeah, his receptions did remind of Kevin Faulk. But Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis looks like a better rusher than Maroney.

He also dropped the rock a couple of times, another Faulk trait.

The biggest difference is Faulk is a all around back He is Money when it comes to picking up a key first down. Maroney so Far is Not Maroney could be good on screens and passes to the flat where he could put his speed to good use.

The biggest difference is Faulk is a all around back He is Money when it comes to picking up a key first down. Maroney so Far is Not Maroney could be good on screens and passes to the flat where he could put his speed to good use.

If Maroney came in on downs where the defense expected a pass, he could be money on those plays as well IMO.

Back