It's Cam!

While not terribly surprised, I am concerned that this is the wrong move for this franchise.

I like Cam and was impressed with his maturity (a big surprise to me) and leadership. Newton did not appear nervous or worried about being
the guy tabbed to replace the GOAT and I believe he inspired some confidence in the locker room. Everybody loved the guy.

We were 2-1 including a competitive loss to Seattle and then Cam got the Covid the week of the Chiefs game. He missed that one and then returned after the bye and we lost the next
3 straight. Cam didn't look like the same guy and the next thing you know we're 2-5 and forced to concede that we were mortal.

I don't have confidence in Cam Newton on the field, but a more rational person might recognize that there were rational reasons why things went south in 2020.

That ain't me, though. I'll hope for the best and fear that he simply isn't that good.

Well...

One thing we all learned last year is that Cam is a really great guy. He brought a lot of positivity and energy every day. He worked with the young guys. He was well liked and did not appear to have a bad attitude ever. He loves the game.

If he is the starter, $14 mil is not a lot. He will have a full off-season now with a year in his pocket. He can work on his issues. Josh can work on designing better plays.

If we can see more of the Cam from his pre-covid play, it can be pretty exciting. Now, there is still a ton of money to improve every position around him as well. Maybe a true #1 WR.

And... We still have the draft to build to the future.

I'm not upset.

Ditto.

While not terribly surprised, I am concerned that this is the wrong move for this franchise.

I like Cam and was impressed with his maturity (a big surprise to me) and leadership. Newton did not appear nervous or worried about being
the guy tabbed to replace the GOAT and I believe he inspired some confidence in the locker room. Everybody loved the guy.

We were 2-1 including a competitive loss to Seattle and then Cam got the Covid the week of the Chiefs game. He missed that one and then returned after the bye and we lost the next
3 straight. Cam didn't look like the same guy and the next thing you know we're 2-5 and forced to concede that we were mortal.

I don't have confidence in Cam Newton on the field, but a more rational person might recognize that there were rational reasons why things went south in 2020.

That ain't me, though. I'll hope for the best and fear that he simply isn't that good.
It's possible Cam had the brain fog from COVID. Could be why his reads slowed down so much and he got caught just standing in the pocket. Just a guess. The Controller at my company got the brain fog symptom and he told me that year ends took him triple to quadruple the normal amount of time for him to complete. Said he couldn't believe the things he was missing because of it.

BB must be want Ridder next year...and plans on sucking ass even more (not on purpose of course) this upcoming year. Brilliant strategy.

We couldn't go into Monday with no QB. Free agents want to know who the QB is. This deal will be based on performance. If he earns that 14mil something tells me we won't be complaining about his play. Keep pushing Forward and let's go
So, free agents are going to swarm to NE because of...sCam? :coffee:

I think we're looking at a lot of NLTBE incentives which means the contract is worth UP TO $14M with only the guaranteed portion counting against the cap this year.

I'd also like a QB drafted with 15 or move up if necessary to grab Jones or Lance or whomever to learn the system and be ready for next year.

One thing I'm sure of is that Cam will be healthier this year, no COVID and he's ready to begin from day 1.
We all knew signing Cam was probably going to happen. He's always made the most sense with the other QBs available.
There's no reason to get all worked up over it.

I am not surprised at all. BB was always clear that he liked the guy a lot. The whole season was a mess, he had no time to learn in camp and he got Covid and it was all downhill. All the critics won't buy that at all, never could understand that. Now he'll. be there in the spring, and get a full camp. And not be sick.

Let's not slaughter the guy. He's going to be here, the team are very enthused by him and that says something. Even Bill. A full, proper pre-season, maybe some better weapons and who knows. Trent Brown will help and if can pick up Hunter Henry or another quality receiver and a good TE, we could be in business.

And let's see if Bill does something dramatic in the draft to move up and take a QB.

Back