It's time to start the list: Pre-draft contacts

Box_O_Rocks

One personality, many pieces
Reaction score
Okay kids, player, position, location of contact (if known), and source. If we have those four items we're good to go.

Senior Bowl contacts per NFL Draft countdown:

DT Alex Magee
S_ Louis Delmas
LB Tyrone McKenzie
LB Rey Maualuga
DL Robert Ayers
OL Alex Mack
CB Macho Harris
CB Keenan Lewis

http://www.individual.com/story.php?story=95138347
A lighter Lankster scales the ladder as a pro prospect
Drew Rubenstein
MOBILE, Ala., Jan 21, 2009 (The Dominion Post - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) --

At this time a year ago, Ellis Lankster wasn't thought of as much of an NFL prospect. He readily admits as much.

Little by little, things began to change, starting around this time a year ago.

Now, by no means does the former WVU defensive back think he's developed into an early round draftee, but he knows he gets the sense he's catching more teams' eyes with each passing day.

He estimates he's spoken to 10 teams since arriving in Mobile for the Senior Bowl, including the New England Patriots, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets and Carolina Panthers.

"He really came into his own his senior year as a cover corner," Senior Bowl president and CEO Steve Hale said. "I think he has a lot of upside. He's a guy who has a lot to gain this week. Ellis was a guy who just started jumping off the tape at you. Game after game, he was making big plays and, as the season progressed, he emerged as a legitimate cover corner for the NFL.

"If you're a man[-to-man] coverage team, then you probably will have a lot more interest in Ellis."

NFL scouts admit this could be a big week for Lankster to move up the boards, and he's not taking that lightly. Lankster received a number of praises for pass coverage from both the Jacksonville Jaguars coaches and former teammate Patrick White during the South team's practice Tuesday, at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

"Most NFL teams want to see me run the 40 because they already know I can play corner," Lankster said.

He's aiming for a 40-yard dash time in the 4.3-4.4 range at next month's NFL scouting combine.

If he can do that, "my draft status is going to go up," Lankster said with a smile.

Lankster dates his transformation to this past spring, when new cornerbacks coach David Lockwood demanded he lose 20 pounds. At the same time, his work ethic improved.

He weighed 205 at one time, and Lankster arrived in Mobile at 191.

"It helped me move my feet better and move right to left," Lankster said.

Lankster said Lockwood taught him certain skills and emphasized certain movements he hadn't used before. He's noticed the importance of his coaching since training in Orlando, Fla., before arriving in Mobile.

"He taught me how to jam and move my feet. He taught me how to backpedal," Lankster said. "It's basically the same thing here."

Day 2 better for White

Moments after finishing his second official Senior Bowl practice, former WVU quarterback Patrick White was approached by a Chicago Bears coach.

"Much better today," he said to White, who responded with a smile and nod.

White had a number of throws land short on the first day, but after throwing an interception his first pass against a defense, White came back with a number of impressive passes, including a deep route down the sidelines.

"Under center is what I have to work on," White said. "The first one of the day was a pick, so that didn't look too good. Other than that, I think I had a pretty good day."

"He got here the first day and you could see the athlete, but he had some troubles," Jaguars and South team head coach Jack Del Rio added. "I thought he played well today. He made some plays today and he moved forward."

No problem, Pat

The 104 players who will play in Saturday's Senior Bowl have little free time. While practice goes for just two hours each day, the players are meeting with NFL coaches and scouts and filling out all sorts of questionnaires late into the night.

How players treat teammates, coaches, scouts and hotel personnel is being examined by NFL teams, and those aspects are almost as important as a player's performance on the field this week.

"You interview and there's testtaking, if that's what you want to call it," White said with a smile. "I try to stay hidden, but it's a good thing to get out and let them see who are and what type of person you are. I've been doing a little bit of that."

White's never been one to dwell on his best collegiate performances or most memorable games, and not much has changed in the forms.

Upon turning in a questionnaire to the Green Bay Packers, White said he had a hard time filling in the best game/worst game portion.

"No problem," the scout said back. "You had a lot of great ones."

Those in the crowd

Among those in attendance at the South team's practice Tuesday were former Syracuse head coach and newly hired Michigan defensive coordinator Greg Robinson, former Mississippi State coach Sylvester Croom and Miami Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells and Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who walked in and sat together.

http://www.newerascouting.com/nfl-team-interest/
New England Patriots

Alex Mack, C, California
Victor Harris, CB, Virginia Tech
Keenan Lewis, CB, Oregon State
Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC
Alex Magee, DT, Purdue
Tyrone McKenzie, OLB, South Florida
Louis Delmas, FS, Western Michigan
Derrick Williams, WR, Penn State

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/co...igh-schools/2009/02/07/ddn020709spinside.html
Valley View grad Bolen presses forward after combine snub

By Sean McClelland

Staff Writer

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Brock Bolen (Valley View) has been gearing up to play pro football since about the third grade. His parents even had him repeat eighth grade to give him an edge athletically going into high school.

So a little thing like not being drafted by an NFL team probably would not deter the 5-foot-11, 230-pound University of Louisville fullback.

"I may not be the fastest, the tallest or the biggest," Bolen said. "But nobody's going to outwork me or try harder than I'm going to try."

Bolen could go in the late rounds, but he's not been invited to the Feb. 21-24 scouting combine in Indianapolis, where the top prospects are poked and prodded. So it all comes down to Louisville's pro day March 26.

To prepare, and perhaps quicken his 40-yard dash, Bolen is working with trainer Dave Buchanan at a facility outside Chicago. It's a full-time job, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Bolen shares a condo with two other clients of agent Cliff Brady.

"We just go from one thing to the next — no breaks," said Bolen, who rushed for 6,099 yards at Valley View before beginning his college career at Illinois.

Only a few fullbacks are drafted each year. The rest scrap their way onto rosters during training camp after being signed as free agents. A scan of draft Web sites shows Bolen ranking anywhere from the third-best available to the 10th.

"I'm not going to believe what I hear," said Bolen, coming off a senior season in which he rushed for 505 yards and scored eight touchdowns. "I'm just going to control what I can control. All I really need is a chance."

New England and Miami have shown more than casual interest, said Brady, who represents numerous NFL figures, including Browns tackle Ryan Tucker and linebacker-turned-coach Bryan Cox.

"Will the kid be playing ball next fall? I say absolutely," Brady asserted. "As long as he doesn't have a terrible pro day, he'll be fine."

Bolen presumably inherits his toughness from his father, Jim Bolen, who earned awards for valor in Vietnam. A former boxer, bodyguard and professional soldier, the elder Bolen once appeared on the cover of Soldier of Fortune magazine.

"Dad's excited," said Brock, who turns 24 next month. "We're a football family. Hopefully, this is just one more step in my football career."

if it says New England shows interest is it not the same as saying New England and Kansas City have shown interest

just a thought

http://blog.pfwonline.com/?p=1454
Linemen that have talked with NE
Written by Erik Scalavino on February 19, 2009 – 2:44 pm -

Several interior linemen have had discussions with Patriots officials, either here at the Combine, at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, or in both locations.

Kraig Urbik, the guard from Wisconsin, told me he went over a few plays with the Pats staff.

Alex Mack, center from Cal, was a wrestler in high school and nearly did so on the college level. I brought up Stephen Neal’s name and he lit up. Said he’s been following Neal’s career since he was on the Pats practice sqaud several years ago.

“Anytime there’s a story about Stephen, I read it,” Mack said.

Oregon center Max Unger and Stanford’s Alex Fletcher have also talked with New England representatives. Both are big enough and athletic enough to play either guard or center, so it’s not surprising that the Pats, a team known for demanding versatility from its linemen, are interested in talking with these guys.

http://blog.pfwonline.com/?p=1483
Another receiver to remember …

Written by Erik Scalavino on February 20, 2009 – 12:40 pm -

Clemson’s Aaron Kelly. He’s 6-5, 193. Said he’s hoping to run a 4.4 in the 40.

I asked him which receivers he compares himself to, and he mentioned Plaxico Burress and Randy Moss. “Any of those tall receivers,” he added.

Could he see himself lining up on the opposite side of Moss one day?

“Oh, I’d love to,” he answered with a huge grin. “I’d sure see a lot of single coverage in that offense.”

And Kelly confirmed that he has had some preliminary discussions with the Patriots. Keep an eye on him.

http://blog.pfwonline.com/?p=1551
Barwin: The next Vrabel?
Written by Erik Scalavino on February 21, 2009 – 11:28 am -

OK, tell me who you think this is: a college defensive end, who converts to outside linebacker in the NFL, plays tight end and catches touchdowns in red zone situations, and has some basketball experience.

Sounds like Mike Vrabel doesn’t it?

Sure, but it could also describe Connor Barwin. Scouts have taken to comparing the Cincinnati Bearcat to New England’s veteran OLB — a comparison Barwin acknowledged when I asked him about it moments ago.

He also told me he’s had some preliminary discussions with New England’s tight ends coach (Shane Waldron) this week here in Indy. Oh, yeah, Barwin’s also a beast on special teams, as he was asked about his knack for blocking kicks.

A versatile, athletic, do-it-all player … exactly what the Pats want for Bill Belichick’s system. Definitely worth monitoring this guy’s stock as we get closer to the end of April.

http://blog.pfwonline.com/?p=1572
Cushing sighting
Written by Erik Scalavino on February 21, 2009 – 4:17 pm -

USC LB Brian Cushing made his way to the podium moments ago. The New Jersey native had a very easy-going demeanor. He told me he loves watching film because he’s so passionate about the game and wants to learn anything and everything he can.

He also confirmed that he has a meeting scheduled with the Pats tonight.

There was something about him, though, that left me with a questionable vibe. Hard to explain at the moment, but it was there …

http://www.draftcountdown.com/interviews/William-Moore/William-Moore.php
William Moore Interview
February 25, 2009

In the scouting world it's not uncommon to hear the phrase "Runs Like a Cornerback, Hits Like a Linebacker" and in many ways that perfectly describes Missouri's William Moore. At 6-0 and 220 pounds with 4.4 speed Moore is basically the physical prototype that you look for and not only can he be a force in-the-box against the run (284 career tackles) but he has also shown the ability at times to be a factor in coverage (8 interceptions in '07) as well. Granted Moore didn't have the type of senior campaign that most were expecting and he probably won't be selected as high as originally thought but he is still undoubtedly one of the top safety prospects in the 2009 NFL Draft. This is obviously a busy time of year for prospects but William was kind enough to set aside a few minutes from his training schedule to answer some questions posed by Draft Countdown's Scott Wright.

Scott Wright: What is your accurate height, weight and forty time

William Moore: 6’0 | 225 | 4.4

Scott Wright: What type of player do you feel you are, a rangy free safety or an in-the-box strong safety?

William Moore: I feel I’m versatile! I can play both.

Scott Wright: You were bothered by some injuries in college. Do you feel durability is a concern and where are you health-wise today?

William Moore: Some might consider durability a concern but we must keep in mind that football is a very physical sport, and I’m 100% as of today!

Scott Wright: What was the Senior Bowl experience like for you and how do you feel you did in Mobile?

William Moore: I feel that my overall performance at the Senior Bowl was fair, the overall experience was great.

Scott Wright: Who was the most impressive player you saw at the Senior Bowl, on either team and at any position?

William Moore: I would say the Defensive Lineman from Tennesee, Ayers I think!

Scott Wright: What would you say is your greatest strength as a football player and what area do you need to work on?

William Moore: My greatest strength is my overall athleticism. The area I’m in need of improvement is my fundamentals.

Scott Wright: What current NFL safety do you most admire and who do you think you compare favorably to?

William Moore: Brian Dawkins

Scott Wright: What is your greatest football moment to date?

William Moore: The 2008 Cotton Bowl where I was named Defensive MVP

Scott Wright: Who is the best opposing player you faced during your college career?

William Moore: Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina

Scott Wright: When did you realize that you had a future in football beyond college?

William Moore: After my freshmen season at MU when the older guys repeatedly said if I keep working I’ll be playing on Sundays.

Scott Wright: Is there one younger player at Missouri that you see developing into a star, either at the college or pro level?

William Moore: Yes, Safety Kenji Jackson.

Scott Wright: Who was your favorite college or pro team growing up? Did you have a favorite player?

William Moore: MU college and Philly Eagles / Saints in the pros. My favorite players were Barry Sanders and Brian Dawkins.

Scott Wright: What current pro are you looking forward to going up against in the NFL?

William Moore: Terrell Owens.

Scott Wright: Compared to where it was before the start of your senior season it appears your draft stock has slipped a bit. What are your thoughts on that?

William Moore: That everyone must face adversity sometime in their career and I know what value I am as a football player. It’s not about where I start, it’s about where I end!

Scott Wright: When you get your first NFL paycheck what is the first thing you will buy?

William Moore: My first Home!

Scott Wright: What do you plan to do once your playing career is over?

William Moore: Coach high school football!

Scott Wright: What is the most embarrassing song on your iPod?

William Moore: Phil Collins - "In the Air Tonight"

Scott Wright: Do you have any goals in mind when it comes to the NFL Draft?

William Moore: Yes, to be the first safety off the board.

Scott Wright: It’s obviously still early but is there one or two teams in particular that you’ve noticed paying more attention to you than others? Is there a specific team that you think you’d fit in well with?

William Moore: Yes, the Eagles, Patriots, and Saints.

Scott Wright: Thanks for the time, I really appreciate it!

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.htm
DD.com contributor Josh Buchanan reports Western Illinois linebacker Jason Williams has private workouts with several teams following his pro day where he posted a 4.49 40-yard dash time, 39-inch vertical, and 10'9" broad jump. Among those visits are the expected to be the Eagles and Patriots this month. The Buccaneers also plan on scheduling a private workout as well.
I can't remember, but I think he was in Texas vs. The Nation, I just know he did a good job in his All-Star game.

Back