1. I like him for what he is. Physical box safety. 90 tackles before he tore his ACL.
2. They already have a Strong Safety logjam with Phillips and Dugger who are both good players. Neither Phillips or Dugger are free safeties. We now have 3 SS type players.
3. So where does Peppers play ?? Is he actually going to be an OLB or a nickel LB on the Patriots? Peppers is only 216 pounds so a bit light for an OLB.
4. Pats still need a young FS. The Pats need a FS replacement for McCourty and this signing does not address that.
5. There is a massive need at both NT and CB1. These tiny LBs will get wrecked without a massive bonafide fat guy Nose Tackle (NT). And CB1 still a huge need (off topic)
Problem is their run defense was horrifically bad last season. So if you go even lighter at LB, they really need to beef up the DLine with big fat guys. Godchaux sucks. Need a Ted Washington type, who cares if they can't pass rush. Need a mammoth nose tackle or these tiny LBs will get wrecked.
He played well for the Giants. So well they picked up his 5th year option. Unfortunately his ACL tear at the end of Oct put him on IR for year. If not for that I'm certain
the Giants would have offered him a 2nd contract.
I like this signing...he played Box S, EDGE S, FS, SlotCB, Wide CB in 2021.
Lazar likes it, too