Jabril peppers signs a 1yr Deal with Pats

1. I like him for what he is. Physical box safety. 90 tackles before he tore his ACL.
2. They already have a Strong Safety logjam with Phillips and Dugger who are both good players. Neither Phillips or Dugger are free safeties. We now have 3 SS type players.
3. So where does Peppers play ?? Is he actually going to be an OLB or a nickel LB on the Patriots? Peppers is only 216 pounds so a bit light for an OLB.
4. Pats still need a young FS. The Pats need a FS replacement for McCourty and this signing does not address that.
5. There is a massive need at both NT and CB1. These tiny LBs will get wrecked without a massive bonafide fat guy Nose Tackle (NT). And CB1 still a huge need (off topic)

Ding, ding, DING!!!

I really don't want to come off as a whiny fanboy here, but I'd prefer to have a mix on the roster of defensive backs who can cover along with the ones
who can't. Jabril Peppers is a Dugger clone in style of play only more experienced and productive and Phillips isn't far off.

I could make the argument that with (possible) exception of Dmac, none of our Safeties is a proven coverage guy. By that, I mean able to handle TEs, RBs and WRs and make
them work for a catch.

This move doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I still have a hard time with the last few games of last Season when we just couldn't cover anybody. It should be cover
first and tackle second, not the other way around. Getting Peppers looks like a squandering of limited resources.

Ding, ding, DING!!!

I really don't want to come off as a whiny fanboy here, but I'd prefer to have a mix on the roster of defensive backs who can cover along with the ones
who can't. Jabril Peppers is a Dugger clone in style of play only more experienced and productive and Phillips isn't far off.

I could make the argument that with (possible) exception of Dmac, none of our Safeties is a proven coverage guy. By that, I mean able to handle TEs, RBs and WRs and make
them work for a catch.

This move doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I still have a hard time with the last few games of last Season when we just couldn't cover anybody. It should be cover
first and tackle second, not the other way around. Getting Peppers looks like a squandering of limited resources.
He was a linebacker for the Gnats at times...but, how good he was doing that, I dunno. He was a captain there. Judge most likely recommended him to BB. He might be decent at ST's.

LB/Safety hybrids (Peppers/Dugger) to go along side our CB/Safety hybrids (Mills/Bryant)

We play 3 safeties so often that this signing makes perfect sense to me.

What's Tebucky Jones doing these days?

I'd believe it. Except instead of Guy I'd put Godchaux in.

Instead of Guy I'd put Jordan Davis in. :coffee:

So this would be the Big Quarter defense? I'll be honest, I don't hate it. Sub in an EDGE for Bentley on long passing downs. Speed Speed Speed (and Bentley)

Ding, ding, DING!!!

them work for a catch.

Peppers played actual linebacker in college. He's more of a hybrid than a pure SS.

View: https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1508943723304001545

FPDZ4qTWUAEYgyb

Last edited:
Ding, ding, DING!!!

them work for a catch.

Peppers is also a good STs player - punt returner and gunner/defender.

Can someone come up with some witty food related puns focussing on Mac, Peppers etc?

This is a nice signing. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

LB/Safety hybrids (Peppers/Dugger) to go along side our CB/Safety hybrids (Mills/Bryant)

We play 3 safeties so often that this signing makes perfect sense to me.

What's Tebucky Jones doing these days?
I dunno, but think how famous he'd be today, but for Willie ...

Cheers

After panning this trade as a knee-jerk reaction, I'm beginning to come around on it.

Maybe, just maybe, Kyle Dugger is ready to take on more of a deep Safety role than just being
a box kind of guy. While there have been times when I've been frustrated with his coverage or lack
thereof, I have to admit that he was much better at it in 2021 than as a rookie and, in fact, made some
quality plays to go along with some that looked tentative or just inept.

He's a great tackler already, which I think we've all seen, but like the rest of the D didn't finish the season
very strong. Maybe it was more of a total system breakdown and I shouldn't overreact.

Peppers is maybe even a tougher tackler than Dugger. I guess you get all the capable guys you can round up
and then worry about specific roles, but I tend to think in terms of classic deep/strong Safety roles when that
may no longer be relevant.

Back