JD's 2nd Caribbean cruise pics

Heading out on a medium-sized boat to swim with the stingrays.

I noticed that things looked a lot better through my polarized sunglasses, so I took some shots with the sunglasses held in front of the camera. Here's a shot taken regularly...

...and the same shot with my sunglasses in front of the lens.

Our ship was the only ship in port that day, so there were only a few other boats out on the sandbar.

Once in position they dropped the back end of the boat and everyone headed down into the shallow water.

Couple of things about stingrays: first of all, they're freakin' big.

The top side is surprisingly soft and furry, like a shorthaired cat. The bottom is rubbery, as you'd expect.

They explain in great detail how to pat the stingrays, and how you should avoid the stinger. After the whole Steve Irwin thing, suffice it to say that people were pretty nervous about it.

The stingrays there are fairly tame as they've been hand-fed for years. Of course, this also makes them a bit, uh, excited to see people. They were sort of like big slobbery dogs... if the dogs could swim, come right at you fast, and knock you down in the water and then sting you, LOL.

The official videographer had an English-style accent (not sure if it was English, Australian, or South African). And a tiny brown bikini.

Nothing like a pasty overweight white guy who can't swim, wandering around with stingrays, LOL.

Oh my! I must've slipped while in the water, and my finger hit the shutter and I accidentally took a picture of the videographer's butt! :rolleyes:

(Okay, this one really WAS an accidental shot of the videographer, LOL. But I like it 'cause it looks like my wife is checking her out.) :thumb:

Okay, like the ship pic, I took three different shots from the boat. I can't decide which one I like better. Shot one:

Shot two (a little more distant):

And Shot Three (with more sky in the shot).

On the boat back, some guy fell asleep with his little daughter on his chest and a towel over them to block the sun. I thought it was a cute pic.

Iguanas everywhere, like pigeons.

Back