Jerry Angelo Rips Belichick

midgar8784

Reaction score
For...get this....building a team....ROFL...yes sorry I mean the bears have just been the model of success, maybe BB could learn a few things...

http://expatsfootball.com/posts/49983

Former Bears general manager Jerry Angelo is a big fan of Bill Belichick but that didn't stop Angelo from criticizing the Patriots and Belichick for the way that the Patriots roster was constructed over the past offseason.

Angelo had this to say via his twitter handle of which he used sulia to link it so he could go over the 140 character limit:

"When you have a great quarterback, you need to give him as many quality receivers as possible, regardless of where they are aligned on the field," he wrote,using Sulia so he wasn't limited to 140 characters. "... When you look at New England, the strengths of their offense was their line and running backs. When you break down Denver, it was their tight end and receivers.

"I believe, if you don’t have an elite QB, you build your offense the way New England did, from the inside out. Protect the quarterback with a good offensive line and run the ball. A large part of your passing game is going to be based off run action. On the other hand, if you have a quarterback who sets the standard at his position, you built it around him from the outside in, meaning with top-notch receivers.

"This is where New England calculated wrong. Brady is an elite quarterback, and they handcuffed him with talented but unproven receivers. ... My point: New England missed the mark and Denver hit it."

>Angelo then explained further.

"New England’s problem is they fell in love with their system. A fatal mistake for successful coaches. I said Bill Belichick did one of his finest coaching jobs this year and I know it. I’m a great admirer and would agree with Bill Cowher when he said that Belichick would go down as the greatest coach in football. But in this case, his thinking was misguided.

"This shows you regardless of how great a coach is, if his philosophy isn’t applicable to the strengths of his personnel, then it’s unsound, not in principal, but in relevance to his personnel. And in football, the labor force starts with CEO of the offense, the quarterback."

The weird thing is that it's not like Belichick has some unwavering faith in a single offensive philosophy. If anything, the past decade has proven that Belichick is more than willing to change offensive schemes to fit his personnel. It's why the Pats went from a ground first approach during the Super Bowl runs to a high powered passing machine in the Moss-Welker years to the potent two-tight end sets of 2010-2012 to the more ground based approach in 2013. The criticisms that Brady didn't have enough weapons in the passing game is more on the mark but Angelo mistakenly attributes that lack of receiving weapons to some sort of Belichick-ian stubborness when the lack of weapons can be explained by other factors (injuries to the receiving corps and Gronk as well as Shane Vereen).

They're actually buddies.

I think he said that BB should have had more depth on the tight end position. He said that Gronk is a chandelier. :coffee:

They're actually buddies.

I think he said that BB should have had more depth on the tight end position. He said that Gronk is a chandelier. :coffee:

Umm...did you read the article?

""This is where New England calculated wrong. Brady is an elite quarterback, and they handcuffed him with talented but unproven receivers. ... My point: New England missed the mark and Denver hit it."

"New England’s problem is they fell in love with their system. A fatal mistake for successful coaches. I said Bill Belichick did one of his finest coaching jobs this year and I know it. I’m a great admirer and would agree with Bill Cowher when he said that Belichick would go down as the greatest coach in football. But in this case, his thinking was misguided.

"This shows you regardless of how great a coach is, if his philosophy isn’t applicable to the strengths of his personnel, then it’s unsound, not in principal, but in relevance to his personnel. And in football, the labor force starts with CEO of the offense, the quarterback."

""This is where New England calculated wrong. Brady is an elite quarterback, and they handcuffed him with talented but unproven receivers. ... My point: New England missed the mark and Denver hit it."

I did. Did you? Brady is getting older. He can't do what he once did. I agree, BB should have brought in more talent. :coffee:

I did. Did you? Brady is getting older. He can't do what he once did. I agree, BB should have brought in more talent. :coffee:

Brady cannot throw the ball to good weapons? Umm first of all, putting good weapons around an older Qb would be a good thing....aka see Peyton Manning, second, I found the article funny because what he failed to realize was that most of our weapons were hurt or in Jail....The patriots did not turn into a run first team because they felt like it, they had too many injuries. The point was some guy who never did anything as a GM is basically saying BB's plan was to have both rookies hurt a lot this season, Gronk hurt most of the season, hernandez in jail and Amendola hurt a lot of the season....no, that was not the plan, that is the way it ended up.. BB did not fail or plan wrong, its called bad luck.

Brady cannot throw the ball to good weapons? Umm first of all, putting good weapons around an older Qb would be a good thing....aka see Peyton Manning, second, I found the article funny because what he failed to realize was that most of our weapons were hurt or in Jail....The patriots did not turn into a run first team because they felt like it, they had too many injuries. The point was some guy who never did anything as a GM is basically saying BB's plan was to have both rookies hurt a lot this season, Gronk hurt most of the season, hernandez in jail and Amendola hurt a lot of the season....no, that was not the plan, that is the way it ended up.. BB did not fail or plan wrong, its called bad luck.

I wonder if the Pats will ever have a rare injury free (at least minimal injuries) season? I know some teams have these. It would be pretty interesting to experience something like that.

I wonder if the Pats will ever have a rare injury free (at least minimal injuries) season? I know some teams have these. It would be pretty interesting to experience something like that.

I remember in preseason this year, players around the league were dropping like flies and we were staying healthy, and then all hell broke lose....you are going to have injuries, what happened this year was off the charts. Hell even in 03 and 04 we had a silly amount of injuries it was just not all of them were year ending. In 04, we lost almost our entire secondary.

I think if you read between the lines, he's also saying that if BB had done a better job of explaining to Hernandez that getting high and driving around while shooting people wasn't a good career move, Brady would have had another receiver to throw to.

I don't really think it's a "rip" job.

I've read on here over & over, that Brady, outside of Gronk, doesn't have any vertical threats. You have mentioned the need for outside threats.:shrug:

I look at like the Pats have an aging qb that can still get it done so get him the weapons. Because it's going to be too late very soon.

I don't really think it's a "rip" job.

I've read on here over & over, that Brady, outside of Gronk, doesn't have any vertical threats. You have mentioned the need for outside threats.:shrug:

I look at like the Pats have an aging qb that can still get it done so get him the weapons. Because it's going to be too late very soon.

Well see here is the issue....those things were done, and then a set of events caused those to go away. He also goes into why BB is wrong to keep with the same system that he does things. I guess my one issue was that this GM who has never done a damn thing in his life to win anything is ripping Bill because Gronk got hurt, Hernandez killed people, Amendola got hurt, our rookies had some injuries, and most of the best players on defense got hurt...

Denver had the proven receivers, and added someone capable of throwing to them. If only NE had one missing piece as the Broncos did.

Denver had the proven receivers, and added someone capable of throwing to them. If only NE had one missing piece as the Broncos did.

I don't think their defense is all that great. They're certainly not Shechix and 49er's great anyway.

Well see here is the issue....those things were done, and then a set of events caused those to go away. He also goes into why BB is wrong to keep with the same system that he does things. I guess my one issue was that this GM who has never done a damn thing in his life to win anything is ripping Bill because Gronk got hurt, Hernandez killed people, Amendola got hurt, our rookies had some injuries, and most of the best players on defense got hurt...

What things were done?

Aaron Dobson & Kenbrell Thompkins? They could have had Keenan Allen.

I wouldn't want a still pretty good qb on that's on way out to hitch his wagon to a couple of rookies that might be ok.

Whatever. It's not my problem.

What things were done?

Aaron Dobson & Kenbrell Thompkins? They could have had Keenan Allen.

I wouldn't want a still pretty good qb on that's on way out to hitch his wagon to a couple of rookies that might be ok.

Whatever. It's not my problem.

So your whole reason why all this is correct is because they missed on a draft pick? Then write an article saying BB missed on a draft pick, not that BB messed up on everything because most of the issue was not because we missed on Allen, it was because most of our team was hurt or in jail.

The thread title is misleading. I don't see that being a rip job on BB at all. In fact I agree with many of the stated points. :shrug:

Saying BB did a bad job of putting the roster together over the offseason is not ripping someone? Ok, I will bite, what should BB have done this offseason, give me the plan. By the way, the thread title was the title of the story, so I just rewrote it.

I think it's ludicrous to suggest that. If you have an elite QB, having an good/great offensive line isn't a priority.

If the QB doesn't have time, it doesn't matter who he throws to.

Saying BB did a bad job of putting the roster together over the offseason is not ripping someone? Ok, I will bite, what should BB have done this offseason, give me the plan.

He should go all out and cheat on the cap. :coffee:

Back